Advice on spare mount

TJJeep4Sale

Supporting Member
Previous owner installed different wheels on my Jeep, but left stock wheel on spare mount. It's covered so it doesn't look unsightly, but now I'm realizing that if I ever actually used the spare, and put a wheel from the Jeep on the spare mount, it will mount differently than the stock wheel and may not touch the snubber pucks. From what I understand its pretty important the spare is firmly pressed up against those snubbers. If I was ever in that situation, the tire would be deflated tho, so does it even matter? A deflated tire can't be snuggly pressed up against the snubbers like an inflated tire can right?

Get a matching spare and place the snubbers to where it doesnt allow the tire to shake on the highway. Now you can do 5 tire rotations and not worry.
That would be ideal but the wheels currently on the Jeep have zero identifying markings and have been spray painted. I think I've found them online but no way to know forsure until I order it, have a tire mounted to it and then hope it's the same.

Last edited:
I mean logically even if all 5 wheel/tires matched exactly, a completely deflated tire mounted to the spare mount will never be tight up against the snubbers like an inflated spare would be, so it's gotta be OK right?

That would be ideal but the wheels currently on the Jeep have zero identifying markings and have been spray painted. I think I've found them online but no way to know forsure until I order it? have a tire mounted to it and then hope it's the same.
Usually on the back side of the wheel there are some marking that can help ID them.

Post some pictures of them. You might get someone to recognize it.

Reactions: Irun
Usually on the back side of the wheel there are some marking that can help ID them.

Post some pictures of them. You might get someone to recognize it.
Cool, I'll crawl under there again and look more closely. For now here's a pic, and a screenshot of the wheel I think it is (under the spray paint)
20220321_114949.jpg
Screenshot_20220307-153919_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: MountaineerTom
If it’s not that specific wheel, it’s one similar. I think allied makes one too. The back of the wheel should have the width and backspacing stamped into it. A 33x10.50 would most likely fit fine on the spare carrier.

Reactions: TJJeep4Sale
Some people don't even run a spare at all. When people say it's important to have the wheel mounted correctly on the carrier generally that's not just on a trip to the tire store or a short hop. In a pinch putting a flat tire on there is no problem if you don't want to get the extra rim. If you have a limited slip rear end you need to rotate the odd wheel to the front but again that's not a big deal the one time you get a flat.

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
If you have a front tire flat put your spare on the front. Rear tire flat, move a front wheel to the rear, put spare on front. Will get you home short distance or back to the trailer. Its more work until you get same size spare tire/wheel and figure out what you need to carry it.

I have 33's on the ground and the factory 30x9.50-15 spare. I need to eventually get a spare tire/wheel that matches and a heavy duty carrier. You can put your flat behind the rear seat.

All 5 TIRES match (or will soon) but the WHEELS don't. Hope that makes sense. My concern is while the spare mounts securely to the snubbers on the spare mount, one of the rolling wheels may not due to having different backspacing/offset on the wheel, then I have to drive home possibly hours offroad, with my deflated tire on the spare mount not perfectly snug. Commom sense tells me no deflated tire mounted to the spare mount while the spare is being used is going to mount tight to the snubbers like a fully inflated tire would, but trying to get some opinions from some pros

I have a 4 wheel parts store about half an hour from me, I may just head down there this weekend and see if they can help me or if they have that wheel in stock and I can compare it in person.

But yes ideally I don't care that the spare WHEEL matches or not, it has a cover, would only be seen when being used on trail, and other wise the tire is the same size/diameter so functionally - on vehicle - its a matching spare. I'd love to avoid buying the 5th wheel if I don't have to.

Not only is the flat not going to ride against the snubbers, realistically, how long are you actually going to be carrying around that flat before you fix it and put it back on the ground? Having the tire not touch the snubbers is not going to crack the tailgate or anything instantly. It takes time.

Change the flat with the spare. Put the spare in the back. Drive to tire shop. Have the problem repaired. Put that tire on the tailgate carrier. Problem solved.

Change the flat with the spare. Put the spare in the back. Drive to tire shop. Have the problem repaired. Put that tire on the tailgate carrier. Problem solved.
That works if the flat happens on pavement. What if it happens half a day of dirt roads between me and the nearest tire shop. And who wants a muddy dirty tire inside their Jeep if it even fits i mean we are talking 2 door wranglers here if I'm out camping no way itll fit inside with my stuff

Measure the back spacing, buy one of many inexpensive steel wheels that look similar, adjust the snubbers if necessary and move on. No offense but this ain't rocket surgery :)

Reactions: L J