AEV Pintler Refinish

Place holder for primed wheels

Quick Update...I found my color match...

Worked out in the barn for a little bit tonite. I bought a touch up pen of Mineral Gray and painted about a 1 x 1 square on a scrap piece of sheet metal. Then I mixed black and metallic silver together in various ratios until I got something close. Its MUCH more black than I expected. The color match I'm going to use is 2 parts black to 1 part silver. Here is my sample board.

View attachment 55768

Note: Duplicolors Wheel coating aerosol in Graphite is also a VERY close match to the Mineral Gray. Here is the sample board against my old Wheels.

View attachment 55769

Also, Since this is for primed wheels, a picture of the Repaired wheel, with Self etching primer on the bare Al.

View attachment 55770

Wheels are in Primer. I used a Harbor Freight HVLP with the 1.4mm tip. Worked pretty well for the price (about 20 bucks)
View attachment 56261

View attachment 56262

Got a little bit of Orange Peel, but not too bad. Going to sand with 1000 grit before color.

View attachment 56263
What’s the downtime between prime and topcoat? Are you doing a clear coat for more durability or calling it quits with the topcoat?

What’s the downtime between prime and topcoat? Are you doing a clear coat for more durability or calling it quits with the topcoat?
The label says wait an hour before sanding. Its a lacquer, so there really isn't any flash time or recoat windows to hit. I'm going to let it cure overnight, sand, then topcoat. I am doing a clear as well...probably do about 6 coats, so I can color sand. I'm not a good enough painter to spray it well enough to not get orange peel.

Reactions: JMT
0D9A809B-504F-45C5-9735-C3BBE4A83549.jpeg
Pretty good color match there.

Reactions: Mike_H
Those look very well done. I’d be proud of that work. I’m not up close and personal, but I doubt they could be done any better. Now to get them mounted up!

What’s the BS on those wheels? How long will you let them cure before taking to a shop for mount and balance?

Those look very well done. I’d be proud of that work. I’m not up close and personal, but I doubt they could be done any better. Now to get them mounted up!

What’s the BS on those wheels? How long will you let them cure before taking to a shop for mount and balance?

Well, they are at the shop right now, getting mounted, I CAN'T wait to see them on Ol' Rubi.

I let them dry about 48+ hours. They need a good spit and polish, but the orange peel really isn't bad. I also found a couple spots where my clear didn't get put on well enough (thin and/or dry spray), so I'll touch them up at some point, but it will be easy enough to do, one at a time, with the tires mounted. Its mostly on the inside of the spokes, so its not very noticeable by anyone but me...but I am my own worst critic too.

Backspacing is in the 5" range, so with my adapters, it puts me right around the magic 3.75" B/S that works so well with a TJ.

Reactions: JMT
Update to Post 4! Spoiler alert...

MxeYqDYiHa3LkWNjsnKfl0_-eg0godo25T5xTCcgMBuPL8RJk_zodIvk6tvKF1hSXacAz9VlbhPsuk_GHJ=w1614-h908-no.jpg

Also, they will be going back. Belle Tire (a regional chain) charged me 150 bucks to mount and balance these suckers. Guess what? They are not balanced well enough. Steering wheel was shaking at 45. I will go back tomorrow so I can see if there are any other speeds its bad at. For 150 bucks, they are going to balance them 20 times if they have to!

View attachment 56710

Also, they will be going back. Belle Tire (a regional chain) charged me 150 bucks to mount and balance these suckers. Guess what? They are not balanced well enough. Steering wheel was shaking at 45. I will go back tomorrow so I can see if there are any other speeds its bad at. For 150 bucks, they are going to balance them 20 times if they have to!
Geez, $150 bucks and you gotta go back. This kind of stuff is what frustrates me. Do your job people. Get it right, do it perfect the first time, like @Ranger_b0b ;)

LOOKIN' SLY!

View attachment 56710

Those turned out amazing Bob!