aFe Long Tube Headers

Good point. That’s something I hadn’t even thought about until now. I’ll have to talk to them about it. Oh the possibilities!
You might look to see what TRW has for low compression pistons too. Lower compression pistons (eutectic or forged, both work) equals more boost equals more hp and torque at a lower RPM. Stud the heads, o-ring the head gaskets and away you go!

(Spending other people's money is fun!)

You might look to see what TRW has for low compression pistons too. Lower compression pistons (eutectic or forged, both work) equals more boost equals more hp and torque at a lower RPM. Stud the heads, o-ring the head gaskets and away you go!

(Spending other people's money is fun!)

At some point I had intended to do all of this. I spoke with Charles and he said the supercharger will go to 25 psi and still remain efficient. However, in order to go past 11 psi, he said I'll need ARP head studs and forged pistons (I think the compression on the 4.0 is already low enough actually). At that point it wouldn't be a bad idea to do some other internal work as well.

Here's his supercharger on a Golen 4.6 stroker:

He said they've got one making 570 crank horsepower with the Golen 4.6 stroker and his supercharger running 20 something psi.

Can you believe that? 570 horsepower out of a 4.0... sheesh.

Hey, @Chris, have you thought about plugging in a custom profile cam shaft to match your desired performance to that supercharger? There's bang for the buck to be had there. Get a hold of Iskenderian and have a chat with them about your requirements. I bet they have a cam, or at least a profile, on the shelf that would buy you something. Just thinking out loud here. Cam profiles differ between naturally aspirated and supercharged engines.
Wide lobe seperation angle...like 112 or 114 degrees

I wasn't entirely sure if the 97-00 headers would fit. I thought someone had mentioned something about the heads being slightly different on the earlier models, to the point where they wouldn't be a direct bolt on. Maybe I read wrong?

I know I can get more horsepower with some actual headers from my 4.0 with the forced induction, this is one of the reasons I want to do it.

Another reason is that Josh Pearl (the guy who is going to tune mine) had mentioned that if I don't get rid of the pre-cats, it's just going to hinder the tuning, prevent the ability to get more power out of it, and eventually I'd blow the cats anyways with the supercharger on there.

So the earlier 97-00 headers may actually be an option if they will fit.

The only thing I'm not 100% certain about is if the #5 cylinder tube will clear the intake manifold (it's different on coil pack Jeeps with cats). I guess one of us are going to have to guinea pig this, unless we can find someone else that can verify lol

The only thing I'm not 100% certain about is if the #5 cylinder tube will clear the intake manifold (it's different on coil pack Jeeps with cats). I guess one of us are going to have to guinea pig this, unless we can find someone else that can verify lol

Yes, I agree. You could always swap the intake manifold from the earlier model as well, which would work. The changes between the years are minimal, but it could always require swapping a few more parts, grinding, etc.

Reactions: Alex0413
Okay, it looks like these are the ones that would be worth buying. I've been talking to these guys since you posted this and he was saying that they've seen up to 20hp in gains on the dyno. They spent a lot of time developing them he said, which is very evident when looking at them.

This might be the route I go. Thanks for finding these!

I put the 2000 intake on a 94 and a 98, clears the exhaust...

I put the 2000 intake on a 94 and a 98, clears the exhaust...

I believe it changed in mid-2000 or early 2001. Not sure when, but it was when they added the pre-cats to the exhaust for emissions.

The 97-00 intakes are different from the 01-06 intakes. The 01-06 intake actually make more power, the runners are shaped differently and things are tighter between the header and intake.

Eventually once Charles releases it, I'll just replace the intake manifold with the Magnum Powers intake manifold.

You can see the prototype here:

Eventually once Charles releases it, I'll just replace the intake manifold with the Magnum Powers intake manifold.

You can see the prototype here:

Magnum Powers isn't messing around with 4.0's!!!! Love it!!! That intake is beautiful, bet it get's some serious gains!

Magnum Powers isn't messing around with 4.0's!!!! Love it!!! That intake is beautiful, bet it get's some serious gains!

Nope, this guy knows his stuff, that's for sure. He's local to me too!

They have a 4.7 Golen stroker with his supercharger that is making 570hp at the crank! That's mind blowing for a 4.0!

Reactions: Alex0413
It may be more worth it to just take the pre-cats out then and call it a day, huh?

That is what I would do...and then I would also replace the larger rear cat with a high flow metal substate one (200 cell). Then complete with a 2.5" cat-back.

I've heard long tube headers being more for mid to high RPM. Seems like you wouldn't get much there on a TJ? Seems like shorties would better off idle to the middle of the power band. Am I wrong?

That is what I would do...and then I would also replace the larger rear cat with a high flow metal substate one (200 cell). Then complete with a 2.5" cat-back.

I've heard long tube headers being more for mid to high RPM. Seems like you wouldn't get much there on a TJ? Seems like shorties would better off idle to the middle of the power band. Am I wrong?

The rear cat is already gone. I got rid of it months ago when I did my belly up skid.

As for the headers, it just depends on the design. The 4.0 already has plenty of low end, so I sure as hell wouldn’t mind more mid-range and top-end.

The rear cat is already gone. I got rid of it months ago when I did my belly up skid.

As for the headers, it just depends on the design. The 4.0 already has plenty of low end, so I sure as hell wouldn’t mind more mid-range and top-end.

I can see your reasoning, but if it were me, I would want to see a Jeep with it running or at least talk to someone before dumping that much $ into it. Does it cause more vibrations than stock? More heat in spots where you don't want heat, etc.? (coating will do wonders like you said).

I see, I thought you still had the rear cat. Can't keep up, LOL. On my VW making 300 WHP, I kept one high flow cat in the DP because I didn't want a smelly exhaust (it does help, believe it or not). Not a tree hugger by any means, but I do have a son with asthma. No inspections or smog testing here either...just felt like a better choice for me (not judging).

I can see your reasoning, but if it were me, I would want to see a Jeep with it running or at least talk to someone before dumping that much $ into it. Does it cause more vibrations than stock? More heat in spots where you don't want heat, etc.? (coating will do wonders like you said).

I see, I thought you still had the rear cat. Can't keep up, LOL. On my VW making 300 WHP, I kept one high flow cat in the DP because I didn't want a smelly exhaust (it does help, believe it or not). Not a tree hugger by any means, but I do have a son with asthma. No inspections or smog testing here either...just felt like a better choice for me (not judging).

Yes, I haven’t pulled the trigger on anything yet. The issue is going to be finding someone running full long tube headers. Most people don’t think of the 4.0 as a performance and engine, and most wouldn’t be willing to spend that kind of money to get power of it. That’s going to possibly make me the test dummy.

Reactions: mots
Yes, I haven’t pulled the trigger on anything yet. The issue is going to be finding someone running full long tube headers. Most people don’t think of the 4.0 as a performance and engine, and most wouldn’t be willing to spend that kind of money to get power of it. That’s going to possibly make me the test dummy.

We will live and learn through you then, haha! I would love to s/c or turbo the TJ, but for now I'll have to live vicariously through you and others! I hit my 5k spending limit for the first year, LOL.

We will live and learn through you then, haha! I would love to s/c or turbo the TJ, but for now I'll have to live vicariously through you and others! I hit my 5k spending limit for the first year, LOL.

I hear ya! And in regards to the no-cat smell, I actually got so used to it on my old ‘69 Camaro that I grew to like the smell, haha.

I’ve scoured the internet for reviews on both of these headers and found nothing. So if anyone is running them, they aren’t publicly speaking up!

Reactions: mots