American Racing Headers Long Tube Headers for the Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0

Having the exhaust tucked 5" farther in from the rear might not be a bad thing for the departure angle. I'd probably just take care of the 10" in front of the rear axle and call it good.

The thought crossed my mind. I just don’t want to trap fumes under my jeep that seem through the cracks or roll into my cab … but I’ll see how it looks.

I believe the rear hanger is in the TJ location. So the top is only for cosmetic and getting the fumes out in the open.

The nice thing is if it gets crushed, swapping it it easy enough

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
The thought crossed my mind. I just don’t want to trap fumes under my jeep that seem through the cracks or roll into my cab … but I’ll see how it looks.

I believe the rear hanger is in the TJ location. So the top is only for cosmetic and getting the fumes out in the open.

The nice thing is if it gets crushed, swapping it it easy enough

I used a TJ exhaust on my LJ, can confirm hanger is same location. Mine is just a stock replacement though, nothing fancy.

I assume you added about (or exactly) 10" in the middle???

Exactly. I got a walker quiet flow muffler and a tailpipe. Normally they fit together in a TJ. I went to AutoZone and grabbed a 12" section of tubing with a flare at one end, plus an extra clamp. took it home and cut 2" off and clamped it in between the muffler and tbe tailpipe. Easy peasy.

Before and after (you can see the extra clamp just aft of the blue glidecoat on the slip joint in the driveshaft)

IMG_20201222_133417.jpg

IMG_20210212_161751.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Ericshere03
Exactly. I got a walker quiet flow muffler and a tailpipe. Normally they fit together in a TJ. I went to AutoZone and grabbed a 12" section of tubing with a flare at one end, plus an extra clamp. took it home and cut 2" off and clamped it in between the muffler and tbe tailpipe. Easy peasy.

Before and after (you can see the extra clamp just aft of the blue glidecoat on the slip joint in the driveshaft)

View attachment 470780

View attachment 470781

So I am interested in knowing how that blue film on the driveshaft lasts…

My LJ came from the PO with an aftermarket rear driveshaft (mfr unknown) with the Glidecoat. It also came with the wrong size U-joint installed at the pinion end (I was shocked because I drove 12 hours home with that!) When I pulled the shaft at the rear U-joint to replace it, I discovered that the Glidecoat was causing the driveshaft to bind - it took an incredible amount of beating to separate the two.

When I looked into the cause of the binding, the Glidecoat was peeling, and just like in the link freedom_in_4low posted, Shawn said that was pretty rare. I told Shawn that I’m not yet ready to replace it because I have a Savvy mid-arm kit, with new Currie springs, waiting to be installed, and I expect to need a different length driveshaft. He told me to just remove all the Glidecoat to free it up, and after, to keep it greased regularly. He even sent me a new cap with a zerk for the end of the female-splined section so that I can keep it greased - for free! There’s now a lot of free play in the joint, but I’m not worried because I really won’t be driving it much until I get the mid-arm installed and replace it.

View attachment 470780

View attachment 470781

Excellent. Thanks for the images

View attachment 470780

View attachment 470781

PS: I did the JB Conversions super short SYE on my LJ as wel… it’s a nice unit.

I was casually browsing and looks like “Walmart” has a long tube header for us 😂

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Stainles...7?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=101194874

Anyone try these ???

PS: I am googling exhaust in rage as I snapped an exhaust bolt at the manifolds. Was thinking of removing the exhauast manifolds to remove the snapped stud and put new clips and a ceramic coating. Then I stumbled on this.

Digging this thread up from the dead. I can't believe that there's still no sound clip from anyone or ARH for that matter

No kidding … I been thinking about taking a chance … I been wanting to ceramic coat my exhaust manifolds (cast iron) but these look great. Earlier the fit was an issue but I haven’t seen great images after they updated the fitment.