After 7 years of daily driving my TJ I finally got a 2nd car

connor grimes

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Well guys, after a long time of only having my lifted, loud, slow, gas guzzlin TJ I finally scooped up a 2nd car. I always disliked doing daily commuting in my TJ because it was expensive and I was racking up miles on my relatively low-mileage TJ (89K currently). I want to keep this Jeep forever and to the possible dismay of some on this forum, I got a brand new chevy bolt EV and i love it. Took advantage of multiple government tax breaks and incentives and got a brand new 32K car for essentially 16k after all the rebates and incentives...too good to pass up. Its extremely quiet, cheap to charge, and has much more space. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't get the looks like the jeep does or the cool factor but it gets me A to B with ease. It also makes the jeep FUN to drive again, I look forward to the days I use it and now I can work on the it with much less stress knowing I have another car to use. 2 cars is a luxury and I'm grateful I could make it happen. I mountain bike alot and this makes me getting to big bear and back so much cheaper! I was spending about $80 round trip in my jeep and with the Chevy its about $8 in electricity! Anyways just thought i'd share! heres some pics of it, and yes i installed a 2" receiver on it haha...some things never change.

bolt 2.jpg

chevy bolt.jpg

Nice looking car. You can use your TJ to tow it to the next charging station when the battery dies on a trip. ;)
p.s. I get pissed off when the guy in front of me takes over 3 minutes to pump his gas. I'm not waiting for someone to charge their car.
p.p.s. I have an EV (Elderly Vehicle) too.

Scion.jpg

What is nice about having a small car that blends in is that you can park it most anywhere without worrying about it. For me it's a 2015 VW Sportwagen TDI, I love the car and the MPG is super high, it didn't cost much and I can park it anywhere, it's just a boring looking station wagon to most. Before I had it we were driving my 7.3 Superduty on trips and I dreaded leaving it in hotel parking lots overnight, I was sure it was going to disappear. No such worries with the VW, and if anything did happen to it, it's easily replaceable unlike my pristine 21 year old truck.

Can't lie... Since renting the Tesla Model 3 back in August I have been seriously considering one for my daily commute.

Like the OP, I am using my TJ as my DD and while I really don't mind driving it on my relatively short commute (about 40 miles a day) the cost of fuel is aggravating.

If I retire the TJ to summer duty I would not only save her from the NE winters and salt, keep miles down (just turned 90k) and I would free up close to $400 a month in fuel costs that could easily cover most of a lease payment on the Tesla. Not really interested in owning it since I'll likely get bored of it in a few years.

Can't lie... Since renting the Tesla Model 3 back in August I have been seriously considering one for my daily commute.

Like the OP, I am using my TJ as my DD and while I really don't mind driving it on my relatively short commute (about 40 miles a day) the cost of fuel is aggravating.

If I retire the TJ to summer duty I would not only save her from the NE winters and salt, keep miles down (just turned 90k) and I would free up close to $400 a month in fuel costs that could easily cover most of a lease payment on the Tesla. Not really interested in owning it since I'll likely get bored of it in a few years.

Teslas are boring as shit but they're a good buy right now. Especially depending on what rebates may be available in your area.

I've always wanted a 99-06 manual Insight. I just like extreme vehicles built to serve a purpose and they can get 75+ mpg with a lot less electronics and gadgetry than new cars. And they're just cool.

Looks like somebody may have finally snatched this one. That's good cause I don't have room for another car

I drove my girlfriends Camry the whole week last week and saved myself $80 in gas. I need a second car. What I spend a month on gas will probably pay for the second cars monthly payment.

Teslas are boring as shit but they're a good buy right now. Especially depending on what rebates may be available in your area.

I've always wanted a 99-06 manual Insight. I just like extreme vehicles built to serve a purpose and they can get 75+ mpg with a lot less electronics and gadgetry than new cars. And they're just cool.

Looks like somebody may have finally snatched this one. That's good cause I don't have room for another car

I rented one for a 1000 mile road trip. Boring wasn't something I experienced. I am a tech geek and loved the insane level of tech integration. Wicked fast. Very comfortable. The 1000 miles cost me less than a $100 in charging fees and using the Tesla app to figure out where to charge was awesome and easy.. Found Super Charges right where I and when I needed to stop for a break.

No offense but that Insight is seriously ugly. Reminds of the classic Citroen DS with the rear wheel skirts

31940233-53.jpg

Good luck with it
Tesla 3 is a great option STRICTLY as a work DD
Theyre holding their value at ~90% after 3 years iirc

The rest of the EV market shits the bed on residual value
A few coworkers that are also electrical workers own Tesla Ys as work DDs only

They pay next to nothing for charging Vs fuel

Last edited:

Not sure what kind of Tesla you drove, but my MYP has enjoyment to it.

Not sure what kind of Tesla you drove, but my MYP has enjoyment to it.

P85D, and I've ridden in a few of my coworker's Teslas. Fast but soulless imo. If just going fast in a straight line is what you need for fun then they're great. And that's not a knock, I don't intend it to be. My go-fast-in-a-straight-line mobile is a Ram SRT-10 with the 6 speed, it's just so much more engaging, it's a blast to get sideways, it sounds great, people are excited to see it. But it'll get it's ass whooped by a Tesla every day and consumes gas faster than I can put it in.

I know we're talking about efficient daily drivers here though so I'll go back to my original statement, the Tesla is a great buy right now. I just love driving and want to be thoroughly involved in the experience, and electric cars just don't scratch that itch for me. Yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jamesval035
Well guys, after a long time of only having my lifted, loud, slow, gas guzzlin TJ I finally scooped up a 2nd car. I always disliked doing daily commuting in my TJ because it was expensive and I was racking up miles on my relatively low-mileage TJ (89K currently). I want to keep this Jeep forever and to the possible dismay of some on this forum, I got a brand new chevy bolt EV and i love it. Took advantage of multiple government tax breaks and incentives and got a brand new 32K car for essentially 16k after all the rebates and incentives...too good to pass up. Its extremely quiet, cheap to charge, and has much more space. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't get the looks like the jeep does or the cool factor but it gets me A to B with ease. It also makes the jeep FUN to drive again, I look forward to the days I use it and now I can work on the it with much less stress knowing I have another car to use. 2 cars is a luxury and I'm grateful I could make it happen. I mountain bike alot and this makes me getting to big bear and back so much cheaper! I was spending about $80 round trip in my jeep and with the Chevy its about $8 in electricity! Anyways just thought i'd share! heres some pics of it, and yes i installed a 2" receiver on it haha...some things never change.

View attachment 463814

View attachment 463815

81tdro.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: SkylinesSuck
Nice looking car. You can use your TJ to tow it to the next charging station when the battery dies on a trip. ;)
p.s. I get pissed off when the guy in front of me takes over 3 minutes to pump his gas. I'm not waiting for someone to charge their car.
p.p.s. I have an EV (Elderly Vehicle) too.

View attachment 463831

I think I would of kept this to myself and not posted it on the internet ! also I would park it in the garage and only take it out after dark....

There was a news article about someone who needed new batteries for their Chevy Volt with 70k miles on it and the dealer quoted nearly $30k. True and verified. 🤬

the power companies are just fishing and have the .GOV baiting the hooks for them. wait when they set the hook and raise the elect. rates for their household bill doubles or more. their just lubing you up right now as soon as enough EV's are on the road they'll bend you over and make you squeal !!!!

the power companies are just fishing and have the .GOV baiting the hooks for them. wait when they set the hook and raise the elect. rates for their household bill doubles or more. their just lubing you up right now as soon as enough EV's are on the road they'll bend you over and make you squeal !!!!

Truer words were never spoken.

Reactions: tr21triton

Cool conspiracy theory

But, hate to break it to ya but I work on the grid daily in Americas 3rd largest city. Youre DEAD wrong. This is a bigger problem for our infrastructure then you understand

Reactions: connor grimes

Have you seen the gas prices in California! Lol we’re already being bent over

• Sad
Reactions: BlueC