After 7 years of daily driving my TJ I finally got a 2nd car

Can't lie... Since renting the Tesla Model 3 back in August I have been seriously considering one for my daily commute.

Like the OP, I am using my TJ as my DD and while I really don't mind driving it on my relatively short commute (about 40 miles a day) the cost of fuel is aggravating.

If I retire the TJ to summer duty I would not only save her from the NE winters and salt, keep miles down (just turned 90k) and I would free up close to $400 a month in fuel costs that could easily cover most of a lease payment on the Tesla. Not really interested in owning it since I'll likely get bored of it in a few years.

I have a friend who moved from Rhode Island to CA and he mentioned how much easier it is to drive a Tesla when the batteries aren't cold in the winter. Something to keep in mind for NY winters.

But otherwise yea. An EV makes a good daily vehicle. When you want a car that has AC and gets you from A to B with no hiccups. Especially if you can charge at work.

That's why Tesla drivers are the new BMW drivers.

Reactions: primetime4
What is nice about having a small car that blends in is that you can park it most anywhere without worrying about it. For me it's a 2015 VW Sportwagen TDI, I love the car and the MPG is super high, it didn't cost much and I can park it anywhere, it's just a boring looking station wagon to most. Before I had it we were driving my 7.3 Superduty on trips and I dreaded leaving it in hotel parking lots overnight, I was sure it was going to disappear. No such worries with the VW, and if anything did happen to it, it's easily replaceable unlike my pristine 21 year old truck.

I need to see this truck :)

Cool conspiracy theory

But, hate to break it to ya but I work on the grid daily in Americas 3rd largest city. Youre DEAD wrong. This is a bigger problem for our infrastructure then you understand

yep a problem their causing. just like the oil shortage in the 70's . OPEC turned the valve closed on the tap's and claimed were running out of oil OMG we only have a few years of oil left OMG there's no more oil left in the ground OMG our wells are running dry BULLSHIT, as soon as the price went way up they opened the valve back up and it's a miracle we have enough oil to last us FOREVER !!!!! same thing with diesel vehicles, dsl fuel used to be about 1/2 the price of gasoline but after gov't mileage mandates and everybody buying more efficient dsl vehicles, well you know go look at the price of dsl fuel in your area. the only problem for the consumer this time is cars aren't the only thing using electricity ! the electric companies will be worse than OPEC in the old days because people will have more reliance on them. conspiracy yes theory NO, FACT !

Its not the power companies being subjected to higher load requirements WITHOUT the funding to improve infrastructure to support it.

Its the puppeteers behind Govt pullin the strings to force another distressed environment. Why??

More Billionaires are made from distressed scenarios
Yes, there are people conspiring to create a desperation scenario to profit from

Just like Fauci helped create many new Billionaires via their biowarfare campaign against the world….and this MFer is still not lynched and dead

He just followed the same logic that 9-11 brought with the Patriot Act, and its also something Rahm Emmanuel clearly stated in public

https://www.aei.org/op-eds/the-never-let-a-serious-crisis-go-to-waste-crowd-strikes-again/

Last edited:
Reactions: tr21triton

Its not the power companies being subjected to higher load requirements WITHOUT the funding to improve infrastructure to support it.

Its the puppeteers behind Govt pullin the strings to force another distressed environment. Why??

More Billionaires are made from distressed scenarios
Yes, there are people conspiring to create a desoeration scenario to profit from
I see you edited it ! yes and it's these same billionaires that own the power companies, it's a HUGE circle jerk and the ones who get screwed every time is the consumer because they fall for it every time. but in reality people have no choice because those same billionaires also own the oil refineries and if you wont buy a EV they will raise the price of gas until you have no choice because its either dont eat or dont make it to work !

I need to see this truck :)

(Batteries have been changed to red Motorcraft since engine pic was taken, hated those yellow Duracraps)

superduty.jpeg

psd2.jpg

019.JPG

• USA Proud
Reactions: MikeE024
What are the thoughts of hybrids that are both electric and gasoline powered? I have a friend with who has had a hybrid BMW for 5-6 years and she loves it. Her mpg is unbelievably high though I forget exactly what she said it is.

What are the thoughts of hybrids that are both electric and gasoline powered? I have a friend with who has had a hybrid BMW for 5-6 years and she loves it. Her mpg is unbelievably high though I forget exactly what she said it is.

I drive a Korean SUV hybrid I got new during the Pandemic in 2021 during the initial price gouging fukkery. Its strictly a work DD. I drove 3 hours away to get it WITHOUT dealer markups. 10 year warranty appealed to me

It only cost me $2000 more over the base model non-hybrid and I got the BLUE which is cloth and some extras. 50% better mpg for $2000. It was worth the chance of trying and has already repaid that back in fuel savings. The Koreans put ALOT of focus on ride quality and interior cabin noise suppression. It is Cadillac quiet on the inside

40,000 miles later , Ive really been impressed with the 1.6Turbo little 4 banger with electric motor assist. Its rated for 36mpg city and 30mpg highway. I can do 90mph amd it glides and I still get 28-30mpg. The electric motor assist is VERY snappy on acceleration, and waaaay faster pickup then a non-electric assist motor

Zero complaints, and Im a big believer in the Japanese and Korean brands. Sadly I would NEVER buy a Ford, GM, or Chrysler hybrid because I just cant trust their capacity to compete on a similar QC level

I put 20,000 miles a year and mine is basically just a “get to work” and back vehicle so it made sense. If I wasnt concerned about winters here in Chicagoland and wanting AWD Id buy the Camry XSE hybrid

The Accord Hybrid and Camry Hybrid are the two most reliable midsize sedans $$$ can buy and IMO the Honda is nicer inside especially with base/lower trim models. However the XSE camry hybrid has a new fancy red interior that pops

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I drive a Korean SUV hybrid I got new during the Pandemic in 2021 during the initial price gouging fukkery. Its strictly a work DD. I drove 3 hours away to get it WITHOUT dealer markups. 10 year warranty appealed to me

It only cost me $2000 more over the base model non-hybrid and I got the BLUE which is cloth and some extras. 50% better mpg for $2000. It was worth the chance of trying and has already repaid that back in fuel savings. The Koreans put ALOT of focus on ride quality and interior cabin noise suppression. It is Cadillac quiet on the inside

40,000 miles later , Ive really been impressed with the 1.6Turbo little 4 banger with electric motor assist. Its rated for 36mpg city and 30mpg highway. I can do 90mph amd it glides and I still get 28-30mpg. The electric motor assist is VERY snappy on acceleration, and waaaay faster pickup then a non-electric assist motor

Zero complaints, and Im a big believer in the Japanese and Korean brands. Sadly I would NEVER buy a Ford, GM, or Chrysler hybrid because I just cant trust their capacity to compete on a similar QC level

I put 20,000 miles a year and mine is basically just a “get to work” and back vehicle so it made sense. If I wasnt concerned about winters here in Chicagoland and wanting AWD Id buy the Camry XSE hybrid

The Accord Hybrid and Camry Hybrid are the two most reliable midsize sedans $$$ can buy and IMO the Honda is nicer inside especially with base/lower trim models. However the XSE camry hybrid has a new fancy red interior that pops
Thanks, and I agree on the quality of Korean brands in addition to Japanese brands. I'm currently driving a ten-year old Genesis and it has been solid other than a failed transmission. I replaced the transmission 4 years ago using the warranty I purchased with it and it has been solid since then. No other repairs needed, it finally needed brakes last week and this coming week it gets four new struts at 123,000 miles.

Reactions: CreepinDeth
My LJR is my project and the TJ is my dd.

The TJ has a bad frame, a vibration that when going over 67 feels like the drivetrain is going to explode (it used to begin at 55 mph before I started working on it) I have a rear window with a broken zipper and no upholstery shop wants to touch it so will be driving it through this whole winter with no rear window in place. I just can't be bothered to get a new top for vehicle that will be in a junkyard within 5 years. Compared to my life decisions you've conducted yourself wonderfully.

My LJR is my project and the TJ is my dd.

The TJ has a bad frame, a vibration that when going over 67 feels like the drivetrain is going to explode (it used to begin at 55 mph before I started working on it) I have a rear window with a broken zipper and no upholstery shop wants to touch it so will be driving it through this whole winter with no rear window in place. I just can't be bothered to get a new top for vehicle that will be in a junkyard within 5 years. Compared to my life decisions you've conducted yourself wonderfully.

is it the window or the top messed up ? you can find just the windows. also you might look on craigslist/ marketplace for a cheap used one...

Reactions: 97' 4 Popper
is it the window or the top messed up ? you can find just the windows. also you might look on craigslist/ marketplace for a cheap used one...

The entire top needs to be replaced, maybe I'll look around on facebook or just bite the bullet brand new idk. I've had the Jeep since March of 2020 so it's not going to fall aprt overnight. I was hoping to get by with just a temporary fix for the zipper teeth and stitching. The shops near me said they can't do it.

...how much easier it is to drive a Tesla when the batteries aren't cold in the winter. Something to keep in mind for NY winters.

My buddy has a tesla (dont know which model) and last year we had a cold snap (well below 0 for a couple of days) and I had asked him about the battery performance when it was that cold. He said his range dropped 10% and that was for city driving. I think his commute is about 40 miles round trip.

Reactions: CreepinDeth
The entire top needs to be replaced, maybe I'll look around on facebook or just bite the bullet brand new idk. I've had the Jeep since March of 2020 so it's not going to fall aprt overnight. I was hoping to get by with just a temporary fix for the zipper teeth and stitching. The shops near me said they can't do it.

just looked around me on craigslist and found 2 used in decent shape with the frame work for $150-200

just looked around me on craigslist and found 2 used in decent shape with the frame work for $150-200

another option you might consider, I've noticed hard tops are dirt cheap up there. you could buy a hard top and if your current jeeps falls apart save it for your next jeep ! just something to think about

Reactions: 97' 4 Popper

Oh wow that's a pretty good deal, yeah I think my particular model bestop isn't made anymore so I would need all new hardware and brackets. I don't have a heated garage but I know a few people who would be willing to let me use. So even if it's 30 degrees outside I could quickly slap something together.

Yea you would think hardtops would be more rare up here. But I never had any issues with (working) softtops in the winter time.

There is a guy in Albany selling a 700 dollar TJ hardtop it's a great deal but it's been posted for 2 months. I messaged him out of curiosity but I think it's overkill for my needs. If he messages me back I'll post in on for sale finds section.