Aftermarket wheels are really loud

Texpatriat

Greetings,
I just had my existing tires (Firestone Destination M/T 31x10.5) taken off the rusted out stock rims on my '98 TJ and mounted on Chinese knockoffs of the aluminum wheels that came on my '96 Grand Cherokee. The sound is deafening. I,m used to the tire noise but these wheels seem to be amplifying and resonating it into a whining pulsating roar. Has anyone had a similar experience? Any thoughts on how to damp of muffle it or should I just get some good ear muffs?

Thanks,
JDE

It was a new one on me as well but there is no other explanation. I drove to the shop with the usual rumbling road noise and drove home with this howling roar. Even at 20 or 30mph. I've yet to try the highway maybe it will be better or probably not but it's definitely the wheels. Very strange.

Are the tires properly inflated? Exactly what pressure is inside them? Tire shops rarely inflate tires to the correct air pressure.

Good point. I'll go out and check.
Just about 40psi which is where I usually run them. Still, I think you may be on to something.When I get a chance I'll try a few different pressures and see what happens.
Thanks

Last edited:
40?!! Way to high. I run 26 psi.

I wonder if you had some abnormal wear on your tires and when they put them on they aren't in the same positions?

Reactions: Rollin20z and jjvw
You sure it didn't cook a wheel bearing coincidentally? Never heard of a wheel doing anything like that, ever.

I also just switched from OEM steel wheels (15”) to aluminum (or alloy?) wheels from OE Wheel Distributors. Like the OP, I noticed a different “tone” in the wheels and it sounded like they might be overinflated. Just went out and checked the pressure.....36 lbs. instead of the 33 lbs. that I usually run. Will reduce to 33 lbs. in the morning and see if it makes a difference. Didn’t really bother me....until I saw this thread!

40 psi is WAY too high for a 31" tire on a TJ. 33 psi is the factory spec, 31-33 at the most. Never inflate an automotive tire to the pressure molded onto the sidewall. That is only its max safe pressure. Some tires like bike and trailer tires are inflated to the pressure on the sidewall but not automotive tires.

Reactions: MaloStapalo
Tires all appear to be in their original location. It's coming from all 4 corners about equally. Sounds nothing like a bearing. More like an exaggerated tuning fork. I'll let a bunch of air out in the morning and see what happens. 30 or less. These did also come from OE wheel Distributors. Now that I think of it 40psi is what I run on my truck. the Jeep is about 30.
Thanks again for the input

Are the new wheels the same offset as the originals? If the tires sit further outside of the fender is it possible there might be more road or wind noise? Are they the same width? If not, it might have changed the tire profile a bit.

Reactions: MallCrawlOnTons
If it was one corner I would guess they pulled a cord during the remove/replace work. But all four? I know of several shops around my area that, to help get repeat customers would "help" the vehicle need additional work. Installing brake pads? After you leave the exaust system falls apart. Oil change? Whoops, now the electric windows cramped out. Etc. Most are gone now. A few were dealerships. Anybody remember how many lawsuits Sears has had to settle? Call me paranoid, could this be possible for you? Maybe something added in the tire when they mounted them?

Mine is better after reducing the pressure to 33. I might experiment with 32 and 31. I’m very happy with these wheels. Tired of painting/replacing rusty steel wheels!

OK, so I took a little drive this morning after reducing the pressure to 28psi. Maybe a little improvement but clearly not the real problem. Although I'm getting more noise than before at all 4 corners it seems to be the left rear that is producing the rhythmic thumping and humming. I detect a little uneven wear on both rear tires, which were on the front until a few weeks ago. It does seem like the new wheels amplify the existing road noise but something ain't right about that one tire or wheel. Same width and back set as the old wheels. I'll pull that wheel and look for lumps or bumps.
I appreciate the amount of interest you all have taken in my issue. Thanks again

I’m really not surprised that the alloy wheels produce a different “tone” than the heavier steel wheels.

Having taken off both rear wheels I don't see any irregularities other than the minor uneven tread wear. However I found what seems to me to be an issue with the hubs. How much, if any, end play is normal at the rear wheels? If it's excessive is it likely the bearings or the rear end?