THEREALJIM

TJ Enthusiast
Well I think I prayed too much to the weather gods in Ohio for nice weather, our area has been "blessed" with 101 degrees😑
20200709_160409.jpg

With that being said I noticed lately my AC has not felt as cold and as powerful lately. Didn't think much of it until today when I was running errands and noticed a lot of water/condensation dripping (or pouring) on the ground. Opened the hood to check it out and saw the water dripping out of the air conditioner evaporator drain tube right onto the frame.

So I guess I'm wondering if this is considered normal given how hot out it is and if my AC is acting up what would be the first steps to take?

Yes thats normal idk why they drip into the frame I made a small shield for my old tj to divert it. If you think your ac is not getting 'as cold' you will need to throw a set of gauges on it and check it.

Reactions: THEREALJIM
The pouring of condensation is normal in a humid area.
IF the system is a little low your evaporator coil may frost up on continual run and then once it thaws there will be a lot of condensation coming out of the drain.
With the temperatures you are quoting the decrease in efficiency would be somewhat normal. You should have the A/C charge checked out since the system may be a little low.
More than likely you may need to add a couple ounces.

Reactions: THEREALJIM
Yes thats normal idk why they drip into the frame I made a small shield for my old tj to divert it. If you think your ac is not getting 'as cold' you will need to throw a set of gauges on it and check it.
I may need to look into making a shield for it. Good idea! I'm planning on taking it to a shop and having them check it out

The pouring of condensation is normal in a humid area.
IF the system is a little low your evaporator coil may frost up on continual run and then once it thaws there will be a lot of condensation coming out of the drain.
With the temperatures you are quoting the decrease in efficiency would be somewhat normal. You should have the A/C charge checked out since the system may be a little low.
More than likely you may need to add a couple ounces.
That's what I was thinking, going to try taking it to the shop this weekend. Hopefully it just needs a charge, got another heat wave coming through next week and ajp trip coming up soon so I want it working ASAP!

I may need to look into making a shield for it. Good idea! I'm planning on taking it to a shop and having them check it out

My '06 has a 90* elbow on it pointing to the ground. I'm not sure if all years had that, but I slide a hose (3/4" I.D. I think) over it and ran it down to the side of the frame so it went straight to the ground.

IMG_7816.JPG
IMG_7819.JPG

My '06 has a 90* elbow on it pointing to the ground. I'm not sure if all years had that, but I slide a hose (3/4" I.D. I think) over it and ran it down to the side of the frame so it went straight to the ground.

View attachment 175640View attachment 175641
Mine is also a 06 and I'm 99% it has a 90* elbow as well. Think I'm going to have to copy that sometime! Thanks!

Reactions: MountaineerTom

View attachment 175640View attachment 175641
I ended up copying your fix, found the perfect length tubing lying around at work lol Thanks for the solution!

Reactions: MountaineerTom