Air helper springs

4BY4ADV

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I've got 3" SL, 1.25" BL, and for the most part I'm happy with it. Daily driving it's level, looks good, suspension feels solid and not too stiff.

When I go camping though, I get some sag between the RTT, fridge/freezer, water, mountain bikes, etc. I've got family members that have air helper springs in their trucks for when they two their trailers and I was thinking this might be the solution for me as well.

I'm not sure I want to replace with heavy duty springs as that would decrease my ride quality.

For the price it seems like a no brainer, however I don't see anything on the kits regarding spring height, lifts, etc.

Anyone have suggestions? Answers on XT say that it only works with stock springs. But then I found another site (https://www.4x4xplor.com/airlift.html) that says he did it with a different spring...

Last edited:
I've got 3" SL, 1.25" BL, and for the most part I'm happy with it. Daily driving it's level, looks good, suspension feels solid and not too stiff.

When I go camping though, I get some sag between the RTT, fridge/freezer, water, mountain bikes, etc. I've got family members that have air helper springs in their trucks for when they two their trailers and I was thinking this might be the solution for me as well.

I'm not sure I want to replace with heavy duty springs as that would decrease my ride quality.

For the price it seems like a no brainer, however I don't see anything on the kits regarding spring height, lifts, etc.

Anyone have suggestions?

Air springs are hard to beat for dealing with widely varying loads. I'd look for the kind that go inside the coil springs. Or putting all that junk on a trailer.

Now if you have money burning a hole in your pocket you can also do this.

https://offroadonly.com/airock/

I've been eyeing that since before I picked up my TJ. And I'd really like to do that, however I don't have a long travel arms, I still need to upgrade my Dana 30/Dana 35, and well, I want to buy a SeaDoo Fish Pro next year. So maybe in a couple years?

I've been eyeing that since before I picked up my TJ. And I'd really like to do that, however I don't have a long travel arms, I still need to upgrade my Dana 30/Dana 35, and well, I want to buy a SeaDoo Fish Pro next year. So maybe in a couple years?

You can run the 4" kit on short arms. The 6" kit is for a mid arm/long arm system.

I have the 6" kit on my TJ and like it a lot but I have other reasons why I wanted the AiRock. Your Dana 30/35 would be fine up to 35" tires with the right modifications.

Problem is... if I'm going to spend that much, I might as well go all the way with the 6" kit.

We'll see after next month and I close a big deal I've been working. Depends on how big that commission check is. ;)

Reactions: Wildman
Problem is... if I'm going to spend that much, I might as well go all the way with the 6" kit.

We'll see after next month and I close a big deal I've been working. Depends on how big that commission check is. ;)

I totally agree but if you don't need the 6" kit and have a nice short arm kit the 4" kit might be enough.

I think there are only 3-4 members on here who have the AiRock. I started out with 35" tires and then moved up to 38" tires.

IMG_2747-1.jpg

Well, I wouldn't say I have a "nice" 4" kit. I'm happy with the ride on road, however offroad it's a bit rough and I need to replace the CA's with something adjustable.

I think I need to figure out what all is needed to move to the 6" ORO kit and what my total $$$ investment will be.

Reactions: Wildman
Well, I wouldn't say I have a "nice" 4" kit. I'm happy with the ride on road, however offroad it's a bit rough and I need to replace the CA's with something adjustable.

I think I need to figure out what all is needed to move to the 6" ORO kit and what my total $$$ investment will be.

Well without getting into the debate of longarm over mid arm that will be your biggest expense other than the AiRock kit and OBA.
That is a huge part. When I did mine I jumped in with both feet. At the time the Nth Degree longarm kit was just coming out so it's what I went with. I had a ProComp 4" kit with TeraFlex lower longarms prior to that.

If you are gunna go to adjustable upper & lower arms in a short arm kit you're almost at the price of a longarm kit. The Savvy mid arm kit takes a little more customization to make it work... I'm still figuring all that part out. Plus you have to replace the 4 lower frame end johnny joints with something that has a return to center type joint.
And then you need to make mounts for the height sensors since ORO doesn't offer anything for them and the Savvy kit.