Airbag Disarm Switch Retrofit

LucyTempleton

My TJ did not come with the disarm switch for the passenger airbag, and when looking for a replacement i found a bunch but none of the pics included the cable. I've messaged the seller but haven't yet heard a reply, so i was wondering if any of you have had any experience in buying a new switch. Did it come with a cable even though it wasn't in the picture, where did you buy it? Also here is the link to the one i am currently looking at.
Thanks

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
I don't think it's as simple as a cable, I think you need the entire dashboard wiring harness from a vehicle that came with the airbag disarm switch.

That's not to say you couldn't wire it up without the harness, but you'd need to refer to the wiring diagrams in the FSM in order to figure out the wiring.

You can download a free copy of the FSM here:
Jeep Wrangler TJ Factory Service Manuals (FSM) & Technical Documentation

My TJ did not come with the disarm switch for the passenger airbag, and when looking for a replacement i found a bunch but none of the pics included the cable. I've messaged the seller but haven't yet heard a reply, so i was wondering if any of you have had any experience in buying a new switch. Did it come with a cable even though it wasn't in the picture, where did you buy it? Also here is the link to the one i am currently looking at.
Thanks

As Chris said I don't think it is that simple. What year TJ do you have? And then the next question would be why do you feel you need to disable the passenger air bag?

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
As Chris said I don't think it is that simple. What year TJ do you have? And then the next question would be why do you feel you need to disable the passenger air bag?
I have a 2002. I don't need to disable it at all, honestly i don't even need the switch, but the airbag light is on in my dash and i'd like to fix it so it turns off.

I don't think it's as simple as a cable, I think you need the entire dashboard wiring harness from a vehicle that came with the airbag disarm switch.

That's not to say you couldn't wire it up without the harness, but you'd need to refer to the wiring diagrams in the FSM in order to figure out the wiring.

You can download a free copy of the FSM here:
Jeep Wrangler TJ Factory Service Manuals (FSM) & Technical Documentation
Oh i see. The ones that i've seen for the 97-00 show with just a cable so i thought it was just a plug in. Any ideas how to find the entire wiring harness?

I have a 2002. I don't need to disable it at all, honestly i don't even need the switch, but the airbag light is on in my dash and i'd like to fix it so it turns off.

I think you should fix the actual problem instead of trying to add the switch. That still may not fix the issue. And the air bag light could be due to the drivers air bag.

I'm 99.9% certain adding this switch won't remove the airbag light on your dash. What you need to do is find out why that light is on to begin with, then fix that issue (y)

I think you should fix the actual problem instead of trying to add the switch. That still may not fix the issue. And the air bag light could be due to the drivers air bag.
Okay, how would i figure out the actual issue? I plugged in my OBDII and it didn't read any issues

I'm 99.9% certain adding this switch won't remove the airbag light on your dash. What you need to do is find out why that light is on to begin with, then fix that issue (y)
Okay thanks, and ideas on figuring out the actual issue? My OBDII didn't read any issues

Okay thanks, and ideas on figuring out the actual issue? My OBDII didn't read any issues

My understanding is that you need an SRS scan tool. An OBDII tool alone won't do it.

Some OBDII scanners have SRS scanners built-in, but others do not. If yours doesn't, see if you can borrow one that does. It actually may be worth calling your local auto part store, as some of them (i.e. Autozone) do have these scan tools and will scan them for free.

The worst case scenario is a mechanic or a dealer as they for sure have the tool, but they'll also charge you to scan it.

My understanding is that you need an SRS scan tool. An OBDII tool alone won't do it.

Some OBDII scanners have SRS scanners built-in, but others do not. If yours doesn't, see if you can borrow one that does. It actually may be worth calling your local auto part store, as some of them (i.e. Autozone) do have these scan tools and will scan them for free.

The worst case scenario is a mechanic or a dealer as they for sure have the tool, but they'll also charge you to scan it.
Okay thanks for all the help, i've just been reading and some people say the fuses are a possible cause to the issue, so ill check those as well

Okay thanks for all the help, i've just been reading and some people say the fuses are a possible cause to the issue, so ill check those as well
It’s definitely worth checking! The SRS scanner in any case will display a code and tell you exactly what it’s for.

I have one of the SnapOn scanners but I don't think I have the modules that go up to 2002. But yes Chris is correct you have to have a scanner that will read the SRS system. If it isn't the fuses it might be worth it to take it to a dealer and have them diagnose the issue. Most will do it for a 1 hour charge. Then once you have the codes you can figure out if you can fix it.

It's certainly possible. Though I don't know of any test you could run other than installing a new clockspring.

I'm 99.9% certain adding this switch won't remove the airbag light on your dash.

I bet you're right. I've kinda wanted to add the switch for when the dog is in the front but I wouldn't be surprised if adding the switch turns on the airbag switch.

What you need to do is find out why that light is on to begin with, then fix that issue (y)

You're right about that. The only passengers that shouldn't have the airbag ready are pets, kids or someone you don't really care about.

Reactions: Chris