Alex01 Silver Sport Build Thread

Not sure how I missed this but I'm fairly certain I found my issue......

Wha wha whaaaa (n)

So. Is is safe to cut a notch in the skid??

I'm shocked I didnt notice it while installing the new ujoint. 🤷‍♂️

I guess saturday I'll measure the length after looking at the bumps / extending shocks and give tom woods a call. I think its safe to assume I'll be towing it to hollister and giving the shaft one more good ride before kicking it to the curb. 🤣 thats so wrong....

So, how will you solve the issue? Do you have too much droop, causing the ds to hit the skid?
From what I have found it is ok to make a quarter moon cut into the skid for clearance. The question is will raising the mount decrease the down travel enough to prevent this from happening again. It's strange it only has real damage around 1/2 of the shaft. My guess is it happened when I was checking the bumps a few months back. Really odd part is I didn't notice any vibrations until the control arms moved???

It's clearly an indent that you can feel with the finger and I would bet it threw off the balance of the shaft.

It's a possibility that when you installed the new upper arms you adjusted them too short, which in turn dropped the pinion angle, and as a result of that, allows the ds to droop more than before. Just speculation at this point, but something had to change when you put the new arms on. Crappy part about that now, something's going to have to change if you want a TT.

It's a possibility that when you installed the new upper arms you adjusted them too short, which in turn dropped the pinion angle, and as a result of that, allows the ds to droop more than before. Just speculation at this point, but something had to change when you put the new arms on. Crappy part about that now, something's going to have to change if you want a TT.
Could be. I'm still leaning towards it happening in the past since the damage looks like it has had some time to age. As far as a TT goes I'll cross that bridge when I get there. I have other things on the list before a TT such as axle shafts, and 2 more control arms. With the 4 inch lift it isn't often I make contact with the belly skid and my previous sliders didn't even have a scratch. (maybe these ones can find something to kiss on the Rubicon)

Now I'm thinking when we put @tomtaylz on the lift someone should be looking at his front shaft making sure he doesn't have an issue before all the weight get dropped on it.

Could be. I'm still leaning towards it happening in the past since the damage looks like it has had some time to age. As far as a TT goes I'll cross that bridge when I get there. I have other things on the list before a TT such as axle shafts, and 2 more control arms. With the 4 inch lift it isn't often I make contact with the belly skid and my previous sliders didn't even have a scratch. (maybe these ones can find something to kiss on the Rubicon)

Now I'm thinking when we put @tomtaylz on the lift someone should be looking at his front shaft making sure he doesn't have an issue before all the weight get dropped on it.
Did someone mention Rubicon
😁

Reactions: bobthetj03
Lowranger dropped off your trailer tire at my shop. Don't let me forget to give it to you tomorrow.

Hoping you guys throw a date out soon for the trip. :p

Maybe new rear axle shafts by then. Definitely a new front driveshaft.
It’s probably going to be in September before I can take some time off. I just started a big project in Mountain View that keeps me out of town Monday through Friday

Reactions: Alex01
It’s probably going to be in September before I can take some time off. I just started a big project in Mountain View that keeps me out of town Monday through Friday
September works for me. I'll have plenty of pto saved up if you guys are thinking weekday to avoid some of the crowd.

Reactions: DrDmoney