Almost a cold air intake

mrblaine

Crew Member
Supporting Member
Thought ya'll might enjoy an intake I built. Lots of folks build their own. I rarely ever get to build one. Of course, I have to do it slightly other than just simple but I hadn't seen this done before so I thought I would give it a try. I have a few minor concerns, I'll see if they are unfounded or if I need to make some changes in how the air gets behind the headlight.
DSC_5369.JPG
DSC_5367.JPG
DSC_5366.JPG

Thought ya'll might enjoy an intake I built. Lots of folks build their own. I rarely ever get to build one. Of course, I have to do it slightly other than just simple but I hadn't seen this done before so I thought I would give it a try. I have a few minor concerns, I'll see if they are unfounded or if I need to make some changes in how the air gets behind the headlight.
View attachment 159554View attachment 159555View attachment 159556
Good solution. Not a lot of room under the hood of a TJ. What filter housing did you use?

Good solution. Not a lot of room under the hood of a TJ. What filter housing did you use?
Windstar I think. Whatever room is under the hood of a TJ, there is a lot less with high lined fenders, coil-over cross brace, and coil-overs so we had to get creative.

Reactions: Daryl
Is one of your concerns that you might suck in more dust compared with the stock location?

Is one of your concerns that you might suck in more dust compared with the stock location?
Not at all. Just air flow concerns is all. There are enough openings in the grill to the area under and behind the headlight but I'm not 100% sure that I won't get some turbulence that impact overall flow at WOT. I have a solution if that occurs I just don't want to implement it unless I have to.

BTW- dust is channeled up under the hood. It is rare for it to be in front of the headlights unless you are following someone in which case it doesn't matter.

DUDE yes!! I was literally on ebay shopping "windstar" right now and then thought i should search it on the forum to find out if there are any Windstar years to avoid? When will you drive it to test if the airflow is ok? I'm going to order up a windstar box now. I much prefer your implementation vs going in the cowl but either way its better than the cone filter im running now (which is hitting the hood i realized).

DUDE yes!! I was literally on ebay shopping "windstar" right now and then thought i should search it on the forum to find out if there are any Windstar years to avoid? When will you drive it to test if the airflow is ok? I'm going to order up a windstar box now. I much prefer your implementation vs going in the cowl but either way its better than the cone filter im running now (which is hitting the hood i realized).
Two solutions are easy if the flow isn't high enough. I'll disconnect the hose from the back of the headlight, put a short elbow on it and poke it up in the corner like stock. Second I can add some intake area below the headlight.

I ordered a Windstar air cleaner box. Meanwhile I was thinking and inspired by Blaine's new route for air, is there anyway I could hack up the OEM box? This is the best I could do.
Does anyone think this would actually work? I'd have to make a hat of some sort to suck the air from on top but not pull in insulation and then obviously seal up the box with some plastic and sealant.

IMG_20200513_205806.jpg

IMG_20200513_205940.jpg

IMG_20200513_205823.jpg

Ford Windstar 96-03 (and a few other models)
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...e-adventure-lj-story.9956/page-33#post-462289

when i did my CAI i was told about a buick air box that could also be made to fit, but never found any real info on which 1.

Thanks, that's what I ordered. I re-read your thread about the air cannister and I ordered the 3m stuff you used.

So how did you mount the cannisters? I'm actually still thinking about going into cowl and doing the mushroom cap out the top. who of you isn't going to be able to stop from making a mushroom tip joke.

I actually ordered one of these off eBay.

Screenshot_20200516-093145.png

Mine is a tight fit where it's at so it's not bolted down.

View attachment 161734
I am still trying to hold onto the little bit of hood insulation that i have left for fire prevention. You must have removed it to run an open tip like that? I might still do that, and remove the insulation in that area.

The turn up is about the right amount of work I want to do. It'd actually be kind of cool to punch straight up through the hood with that mushroom cap i posted above and basically have it drop into the elbow when hood is closed? Wonder if that would work. the air would be cold at least.

So here is a couple pictures of XJs just punching up through the hood instead of through the cowl and then up. Why have I never seen this on Tj. Seems functional and don't have to go through the cowl just to punch up and out. The bottom you connect an accordian style tube so it can extend when the hood goes up. As long as you keep it near the hinge I would thing it's not alot of travel.

https://haukoffroad.com/by-vehicle/xj-products/xj-expedition-snorkel/
41304a99dfb9c87c380a6fd41f0a50f5.jpg