Alternator Life expectancy

Weeeee

I have a 2000 TJ with ~93k miles on it and the original Alternator. I am in the process of rebuilding the TJ, Axles, suspension, fixing rust, cooling, fuel deliver, brakes, etc. The last time I started it ran (6+ months ago) everything seemed fine and did not have any charging issues.

I am wondering if I should consider replacing the alternator since it is 19 years old and approaching 100k.

Opinions?

The alternator on our 1995 Dodge Ram started to lock up and require being manually turned if it sat more than a few months months. That started about 2 years ago. We ended up putting that alternator onto my son's 1995 YJ last year when his alternator went bad and put a new one on the truck. I don't know if it was the original on the YJ or not but the alternator from that truck went 275,000 miles over the first 23 years and another several months in that Jeep. Unfortunately it has now sat so long it may never turn over again but it did last 24 years.

I have a 2000 TJ with ~93k miles on it and the original Alternator. I am in the process of rebuilding the TJ, Axles, suspension, fixing rust, cooling, fuel deliver, brakes, etc. The last time I started it ran (6+ months ago) everything seemed fine and did not have any charging issues.

I am wondering if I should consider replacing the alternator since it is 19 years old and approaching 100k.

Opinions?
IMHO if it aint broke dont fix it. But if its making noise or not putting out about 14 volts, give or take about 0.2v, swap it out. also if you anticipate adding a winch that will get used and a bunch of lights you might grab one in case that straw breaks the camels back.

Reactions: mots
I have wondered the same. In the auto world in general, the consensus on the research seems to be 100 to 150k, but I have read about them lasting a long time on the TJ's. There is just no way to know when those bearing decide to take a shit, haha! I was just reading someones build thread not long ago where they did a frame up restore on their TJ. They mentioned that the alternator was the only original engine accessory left...that made me feel good since I have over 100k on mine!

Reactions: DrDmoney
I dont think there is any solid lifespan. Ive had vehicles that the alternator went out at 60k, and some that were orginal when I sold the vehicle at 175k. If it makes you sleep better knowing that its new, then I would replace it.

I have my original that I pulled 10 years ago with 100k on it thats still good. I put in a high output one for an electric fan and an inverter.

Opinions?
If it is running fine, leave it alone. I've had 40 year old high milers with the original alternator.
There is no guarantee a new alternator will be better than the original.
And your vehicle will run until the battery dies without one.
Not like it will leave you stranded.

Reactions: Weeeee