Aluminum vs steel skid plates?

Aluminum vs steel trans skid

• Aluminum

Votes: 49 81.7%
  • Steel

Votes: 11 18.3%

• Total voters
Sometimes folks are in a hobby/lifestyle that their situation can't support at which point the following of sound advice is don't put your rig in places it isn't equipped for since that is far more expensive than equipping it correctly.
As a younger man, If I only did things that I could afford at the time it would have been a very boring life and I wouldn't have learned all the lessons that led to the wisdom that no young man wants to hear.

Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions. In my case- bad decisions led to good times which ended up in very costly experience.

As a younger man, If I only did things that I could afford at the time it would have been a very boring life and I wouldn't have learned all the lessons that led to the wisdom that no young man wants to hear.

Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions. In my case- bad decisions led to good times which ended up in very costly experience.
It's been said that experience is the only teacher that gives the test before the lesson... My college professors tried to prove that wrong all the time, but the point is still valid.

You can be young and brash, break a lot of shit, spend a lot of money, and have a TON of fun along the way... Hopefully picking up some wisdom.

Or... You can squash that pride, listen to those more wise, and work up to things. I personally think a healthy dose of both approaches is best.

My issue wasn't pride, it was usually the lack of ability to identify or acknowledge the consequences of my actions. Still haunts me today. Lucky for me my boys don't seem to have been plagued with this lack of think before act, I must have married well.

The Savvy engine and belly skid are both 1/4" but the belly skid for Savvy was designed around being aluminum with two braces that support the 1/4". The other one was the steel skid that was converted to aluminum simply by making a material substitution at the laser shop. It wasn't designed to be done in aluminum and the strength in the welded corners suffers greatly because of it. There were several examples on JF of those corners getting blown open after some use.

Has that engine skid design been re-done with AL in mind, or is there a better option out there that works well in conjunction with the Savvy belly skid?

You can do it, I know many that do. And then they get on the internet and bitch about the consequences of their bad decisions and try to make it someone else's fault.

I have told at least 30 folks who are on larger tires than their rig can support that the simple answer rather than spend multiples of 10's of 1000s of dollars, is to simply move down in tire size and all their woes will practically disappear. Guess how many have done it?

Last edited:
I found a Savvy skid locally that was purchased somewhere ~2019. These should be for an 03+ based on reading the current site. What would be involved in modifying it to fit an earlier model TJ?

I do have the proper equipment to work with 1/4"+ plate.
Basically throw it away and start over.

I guess once I have the Jeep running and driving again I'll have to experiment some. I'll throw 500 lbs of stuff in the back and see if I can tell the difference.

You can tell a difference with even 45lb or 90lb. I am doing some careful evaluation of what weight in the rear does for my ride quality and the differences are very perceptible.