Am I the only one with a hot transmission tunnel?

meangreen98

TJ Enthusiast
Seems like if I'm on the freeway for a 15+ miles the transmission tunnel gets VERY warm. Warn enough that a cold drink will quickly turn room temp in the cup holder, is that normal? I was thinking of putting some dynamat under the carpet over the tunnel hoping it would reduce the heat. Am I just masking off a bigger problem? 4.0 5/M btw...

I was having this problem when my rubber shift boot (the one under your actual shift boot) was ripped. Once it was fixed it went away. That would be an easy thing to check if you have a manual.

Same here, check the boot. If torn lets lots of engine heat into the cabin.

The catalytic converter is adjacent to the passenger side of the tunnel and just under the floor. It gets really (!) hot so it's normal for the floor get hot too.

Reactions: Chris
IMG_8476.jpg

On occasion I have been smelling odors, feeling heat and hearing road noise and this is what I found on my '01.
Just ordered a replacement inner boot and plastic shifter boot frame.
For the interim I cleaned the rubber and wrapped a couple strips of Gorilla tape around the upper and middle rips.

Last edited:
Mine does too, but not the console alone, the entire center hump. My inner and outer shift boots are in good condition.
I’ll be needing to replace my body mounts, so I’ll experiment to see if 1.25 BL allows more air to keep things cooler.

Mine does too, but not the console alone, the entire center hump. My inner and outer shift boots are in good condition.
I’ll be needing to replace my body mounts, so I’ll experiment to see if 1.25 BL allows more air to keep things cooler.
A BL doesn't necessarily mean more air flow in that area, aerodynamics and all that. I definitely noticed my transmission tunnel seemed to run hotter after installing my first body lift.

Nope, mine is hot, and the “overly expensive” Mopar boot, actually is kinda worth it. Carpet helps too in my opinion.
Carpet helps big time. The couple times I removed my carpeting it was way too hot afterward, I won't try taking it out again.

Reactions: cpwolf
A BL doesn't necessarily mean more air flow in that area, aerodynamics and all that. I definitely noticed my transmission tunnel seemed to run hotter after installing my first body lift.
Now that is an interesting result. I wonder if it did add airflow, but forced more heat there from the engine compartment...

View attachment 195299

On occasion I have been smelling odors, feeling heat and hearing road noise and this is what I found on my '01.
Just ordered a replacement inner boot and plastic shifter boot frame.
For the interim I cleaned the rubber and wrapped a couple strips of Gorilla tape around the upper and middle rips.
Yeah nice! I have this same issue, what part did you search for to find a replacement? Do you have a link?

no, the factory went so far as to put a warning sticker on the tunnel
Saw this sticker AFTER I drove mine home for the first time two nights ago and got out wondering why my my shoes had melted. Stopped me panicking to be honest. Time to replace this boot and get some carpets though I think.

Reactions: L J
Saw this sticker AFTER I drove mine home for the first time two nights ago and got out wondering why my my shoes had melted. Stopped me panicking to be honest. Time to replace this boot and get some carpets though I think.

My LJ had disgustingly dirty carpet when I bought it. I threw it out and drove bare metal for years. When I finally had enough of the added heat and noise, I bought a carpet kit and some mylar/foam insulation. I'll never go back to a bare tub again.