Amplifier for Kenwood DNX773S and Polk DB522's: Would it improve my setup?

NashvilleTJ

I miss the snow...
Ride of the Month Winner
Lifetime Supporting Member
I've been watching a few audio threads concerning improving the TJ sound system, and it prompted me to ask a question about amplifiers. Hopefully a few of the experts (looking right at you @Jerry Bransford and @TheBoogieman ) can weight in. Thanks in advance.

In my rig, I run a Kenwood DNX773S Head Unit pushing 50Wx4 Peak / 22 Watts RMS at 4-8 ohms through 4 Polk DB522 300W Peak / 100W RMS 5.25" 4 ohm 91 dB sensitivity speakers in the stock locations. I also have replaced the stock sub with a Bazooka 6.5" 100W wired in parallel for 1ohm to the stock wiring in the console - no separate amplifier. All of the wiring is stock.

I am not an audiophile, so hopefully I have described everything correctly. The system sounds OK to my uneducated ear, by when I run with the top off and am in the mood, I'm always pushing the volume to it's max - and sometimes wanting just a bit more.

So here is my question: Would there be any benefit to adding an amplifier to the system, and how difficult would that be? In addition to the obvious (volume), are there any other benefits in sound quality in doing so? Would the Bazooka (selected mainly for its size) benefit?

Thanks - I'm all ears.

Jeff

Last edited:
You have a nice setup now. Adding an amplifier would be good for when you have the top off or if your interior is loud when on the highway. That's when my aux amplifier really made a difference. Adding an aux amp is relatively easy. Plug the amp into your Kenwood's RCA preamp jacks and move the speaker wiring over to the amp. The amp will need its own always-on power wire (if you want to play it with the ignition off). Then you'll want to connect the amp's trigger wire to the Kenwood's amplifier wire which serves to 'trigger' (turn on) the aux amplifier. The amp will turn on and off with the Kenwood.

Keep one thing in mind and this will confirm that I have truly become an old man. You'll regret in later life playing your music too loud. Really. I'm a former musician, played in some loud bands, and I like my music loud like I was 'there'. I now require a pair of hearing aids. I did spend some time in loud aircraft too but not nearly as much time there as I did in front of loud speakers or loud musical events.

I'd like to add that not all amps (even with comparable wattages) are equal.
A shitty amp (with a poor signal to noise ratio, for example) will cost less and be worth less.

Do a bit of basic research within your budget and other product limitations (or features) and you should be fine. No need to buy an amp with features that you don't need or can't use; it's wasted money.
That being said, physical size is also an important feature in the TJ since 'extra' space doesn't really exist.

I use Crutchfield for my DIY audio projects, (even if I end up buying my products elsewhere), because their fitment guides, recommended accessories, product reviews, and customer service are far better than most other sources.

Thanks for that, Jerry and Dan. I appreciate the feedback. It sounds like it may be a worthwhile little project. If I do it, my challenge will certainly be finding some space.

I decided on this amp for my project, mostly due to the size, but also because it fit my needs quite nicely at a price that seemed fair.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_777M754/Sound-Ordnance-M75-4.html
I mounted it under the steering column, as that space seemed to be unusable for anything else.
Thanks. I had assumed that I would need a 5 channel amp to power the sub along with the other 4 speakers. Can you use this for the sub too, or does the sub need its own amp?

Or, am I completely misunderstanding?

Thanks. I had assumed that I would need a 5 channel amp to power the sub along with the other 4 speakers. Can you use this for the sub too, or does the sub need its own amp?

Or, am I completely misunderstanding?
The 5th channel is for the sub and it's fine for most of them.

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
In my opinion an amplifier for the sub will make a the biggest difference. Most of the time when people say the stereo isn't loud enough it's 100% low frequencies that come from the sub that changes the whole thing. If I wanted to make my stereo sound better almost all my effort would be the sub, the biggest one or two channel I could fit easily, that's where the gains are. The mid and high range will probably be just fine powered through the deck.

In my opinion an amplifier for the sub will make a the biggest difference. Most of the time when people say the stereo isn't loud enough it's 100% low frequencies that come from the sub that changes the whole thing. If I wanted to make my stereo sound better almost all my effort would be the sub, the biggest one or two channel I could fit easily, that's where the gains are. The mid and high range will probably be just fine powered through the deck.
But doesn't it also make sense to address pumping my current 22 watts from the head unit into 100w speakers, as well as addressing the sub?

But doesn't it also make sense to address pumping my current 22 watts from the head unit into 100w speakers, as well as addressing the sub?

Grab a five channel, small footprint, class D amp and throw it under the steering wheel. Have it drive all your speakers.

Something like this.

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item-79531-Soundstream-PN5.640D.html
Unfortunately those Polks are not the best choice for speakers, but yes, they would be better served with an amplifier.

Reactions: MillenniumFalcon
Speaker choices are subjective, I personally liked my Polks. A lot of us here do.

Agreed, very subjective. I used to like my Polks until I tried a new speaker, and I have found at least half a dozen speakers that are a better value, or just better because of the sound and build quality, but at a higher price tag.

Everyone has different needs and wants around their build, some want a stealth build, while others do not care how much space is used. That is why I push the Kicker D and C series, great value for the price, and sounds better than the Polks in the TJ, when the TJ has no amp.

I completely respect your audio and electrical knowledge, but specific product knowledge is where you lack some of the newer brands/styles that now outperform the Polks.

This is very subjective, and I'm not picking a fight here...

Grab a five channel, small footprint, class D amp and throw it under the steering wheel. Have it drive all your speakers.

Something like this.

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item-79531-Soundstream-PN5.640D.html
Unfortunately those Polks are not the best choice for speakers, but yes, they would be better served with an amplifier.
Bought the Picasso Nano based on recommendations here. Couldn't be happier.
Stock head unit to some 5.25s in the dash and 6.5s in the soundbar with two 6.5 subs in the console.
Plenty of sound/ volume with the top down and enough bass to shake the building when I feel obnoxious.

Reactions: skrelnik
Bought the Picasso Nano based on recommendations here. Couldn't be happier.
Stock head unit to some 5.25s in the dash and 6.5s in the soundboard with two 6.5 subs in the console.
Plenty of sound/ volume with the top down and enough bass to shake the building when I feel obnoxious.

How was the install? I currently have a 4 channel Soundstream to power my dual 10" subs. Great value and power from their amps.

Reactions: pagrey
It takes very little energy to produce very loud sounds at higher frequencies, that's why little buzzers are so small and yet so irritating. It takes a massive amount of power to produce any sound and low frequencies. I think that's where the bang for your buck is and your head unit will be fine for the other speakers. Think about the old Bose system, massive sub and tiny little cubes. You can always get a four channel on top of the sub amp later if you need it. If you want to see what I'm talking about listen to your favorite song not driving at a comfortable level, then go around the block and listen carefully for what sounds disappear, you'll find it's 100% bass that is absolutely gone and the mids and highs are still okay. Nobody is giving you bad advice, just saying what I would personally do. I'd get the biggest one or two channel for the sub and then if I still wanted more I'd find a place for the four channel.

It takes very little energy to produce very loud sounds at higher frequencies, that's why little buzzers are so small and yet so irritating. It takes a massive amount of power to produce any sound and low frequencies. I think that's where the bang for your buck is and your head unit will be fine for the other speakers. Think about the old Bose system, massive sub and tiny little cubes. You can always get a four channel on top of the sub amp later if you need it. If you want to see what I'm talking about listen to your favorite song not driving at a comfortable level, then go around the block and listen carefully for what sounds disappear, you'll find it's 100% bass that is absolutely gone and the mids and highs are still okay. Nobody is giving you bad advice, just saying what I would personally do. I'd get the biggest one or two channel for the sub and then if I still wanted more I'd find a place for the four channel.

Good stuff here, and as Pagrey said nobody is wrong just different ways to build the system.

Personally I would never recommend a mono amp and 4 channel amp over a 5 channel due to two factors, the additional wiring and the additional space needed for two amps. Cost will be similar, but neither is wrong.

How was the install? I currently have a 4 channel Soundstream to power my dual 10" subs. Great value and power from their amps.
Install was pretty straightforward. Toughest part was soldering all the connectors.
I did run all new wire from the amp to the speakers.
Basically followed the sound system upgrade thread posted (I think) by Chris.
A little fab work to make my non-sub console hold the subs. I'll see if I can dig up the links.

Reactions: skrelnik
Good stuff here, and as Pagrey said nobody is wrong just different ways to build the system.

Personally I would never recommend a mono amp and 4 channel amp over a 5 channel due to two factors, the additional wiring and the additional space needed for two amps. Cost will be similar, but neither is wrong.
True, unless you already have a mono amp running a sub, and you run across an audio thread on your favorite Jeep forum, then rethink your system, lol! In my case, I'd probably find a small 4 channel to fit behind the HU, get a media player type HU, as it could leave enough room behind it to place the the amp. I currently run the Polk DB's, but before I would try a different speaker, I'd be curious to see how they sound with a bit more horsepower and some EQ tweaking.