Amplifier for Kenwood DNX773S and Polk DB522's: Would it improve my setup?

I know your rig is far from stock but if you haven’t changed things under the steering column the Soundstream unit referenced will fit nicely there. May not be necessary but I used spacers between amp and cutting board (I suggest yellow for yours of course) to make sure plenty of air flow around amp.

5F8DF4E3-4572-47B2-8431-CE99D4A6049E.jpeg

874AA8D3-BB59-40AF-81BE-BD40C0048102.jpeg

Nashville, I haven’t read the whole thread but to answer your question… I have the same speakers and I have run them with and without an amp. It was a massive improvement when I added the amp. Way louder and way cleaner and way more enjoyable.
The amp I use is a kenwood excelon XR401-4. 75 watts rms X 4

Reactions: skrelnik
Also, a good quality amplifier, and installation of the amplifier, food ground, right size wires etc.

Then you want to tune the sound via the equalizer. Some advanced amplifiers have digital sound processors.

It's more than just the hardware that delivers a great sound.
Which leads me to the next question that I think should be discussed in this thread. What do all those knobs and controls do, and how do I adjust them? Let's assume that we have a head unit that has adjustments and a good EQ. I've talked to you about this in the past, but I always forget how to adjust the settings on the amp.

I know your rig is far from stock but if you haven’t changed things under the steering column the Soundstream unit referenced will fit nicely there. May not be necessary but I used spacers between amp and cutting board (I suggest yellow for yours of course) to make sure plenty of air flow around amp.

View attachment 300574
View attachment 300571
Thanks Sour - that’s a big help. Yes, I do still have some room under there.

By the way - how heavy is that thing? Asking for a friend (whose name is Blaine).

Possible fat-shaming on the way…😉

Nashville, I haven’t read the whole thread but to answer your question… I have the same speakers and I have run them with and without an amp. It was a massive improvement when I added the amp. Way louder and way cleaner and way more enjoyable.
The amp I use is a kenwood excelon XR401-4. 75 watts rms X 4
Thanks Stark. Good to hear your first hand experience.

View attachment 300574
View attachment 300571

Looks great!!! Nice job!

Yeah, those Polks need an amp, the stock head unit cannot properly power them, regardless of what others say. Glad you have experience testing out both ways. It's fun to hear the differences and improvements.

I missed this whole thread. Power has been out for nearly 3 days and temps down in the teens. :(

Ex-wife cut the cord?

Which leads me to the next question that I think should be discussed in this thread. What do all those knobs and controls do, and how do I adjust them? Let's assume that we have a head unit that has adjustments and a good EQ. I've talked to you about this in the past, but I always forget how to adjust the settings on the amp.

Same with me because I went digital. Seriously those knobs can all do unique things. Fade to the rear or the front, high pass and low pass filters, gains etc. Bass control. It's all fun.... This is what my equalizer looks like, this is digital and I think a couple forum members have this. Chris had one of these amps but I think he sold it.

20190119_124754.jpg

Same with me because I went digital. Seriously those knobs can all do unique things. Fade to the rear or the front, high pass and low pass filters, gains etc. Bass control. It's all fun.... This is what my equalizer looks like, this is digital and I think a couple forum members have this. Chris had one of these amps but I think he sold it.

View attachment 300716
Aww man, you posted this while I was buying the Soundstream. What is that and which amp supports it? Is that a usb or a wireless connection?

(I'm easily distracted by shiny things :))

Aww man, you posted this while I was buying the Soundstream. What is that and which amp supports it? Is that a usb or a wireless connection?

(I'm easily distracted by shiny things :))

There is a company called Audiotec Fischer that makes amplifiers with that built in DSP software that connects to a laptop. This is a USB connection, but they also have wireless options.

They have three brands, Match is their entry level plug and play.

Then they have Helix which is better but more technical skills are needed. They also have Brax which equipment is competition level.

Check it out. If you are into this let me know I might have one extra amp/DSP laying around, only 4 channels because I blew the 5th channel...you can have it, but only if you think you can use it.

https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/match/

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
Well, I took the leap and took your collective advice. I picked up the Soundstream Picasso Nano - best deal I found was on Amazon for $171.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OYHN6GA/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I think you’ll be happy with it. You’ll need a number of wires too. I used Stinger and am happy to share part numbers but would suggest that get suggestion from someone like @skrelnik as I bought based on online reviews and my budget.

Oh and I definitely suggest this 😉 https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yellow-Pla...d=link&campid=5337789113&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
I think you’ll be happy with it. You’ll need a number of wires too. I used Stinger and am happy to share part numbers but would suggest that get suggestion from someone like @skrelnik as I bought based on online reviews and my budget.

Oh and I definitely suggest this 😉 https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yellow-Pla...d=link&campid=5337789113&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

Great call! Stinger is great, just need to make sure the wire gauge is correct, but Stinger is solid and I am a fan of NVX and T Spec, but Stinger, Kicker and JL Audio have good stuff.

These days, you kind of need to see what in stock as well.

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/ci43-amplifier-wiring-kits.html

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
What’s the advantage / necessity of getting a wiring kit? I tend to do my own wiring, and (unless someone tells me it’s a bad idea) I’ll add a new circuit to the PDC to power the amp. The power specs on the amp require 8 gauge on a 40 amp breaker. Is that correct?

How would the stock speaker wiring work with the new setup. Is it worth the effort to replace it?

Last edited:
What’s the advantage / necessity of getting a wiring kit? I tend to do my own wiring, and (unless someone tells me it’s a bad idea) I’ll add a new circuit to the PDC to power the amp. The power specs on the amp require 8 gauge on a 40 amp breaker. Is that correct?

How would the stock speaker wiring work with the ne setup.Is it worth the effort to replace it?

The wiring kit is just a complete package, convenient for some, but sounds like you may not need a kit since you understand the install and could piece the kit together, or even have parts in your "basement". The Kits come in different price ranges due to what is included, most come with a 20ft 8 gauge power wire, 3ft 8 gauge ground and a 15ft 18 gauge remote turn on wire. Others add a MANL (mini fuse holder) and the fuse itself, speaker wire and RCA cables.

As for changing the speaker wires, obviously if there is any damage to them, water, age, etc you would want to change, but if they are good then you can keep the stock wires in place. They will be fine with this set-up, or if you feel like changing it just because, you can.

The wiring kit is just a complete package, convenient for some, but sounds like you may not need a kit since you understand the install and could piece the kit together, or even have parts in your "basement". The Kits come in different price ranges due to what is included, most come with a 20ft 8 gauge power wire, 3ft 8 gauge ground and a 15ft 18 gauge remote turn on wire. Others add a MANL (mini fuse holder) and the fuse itself, speaker wire and RCA cables.

As for changing the speaker wires, obviously if there is any damage to them, water, age, etc you would want to change, but if they are good then you can keep the stock wires in place. They will be fine with this set-up, or if you feel like changing it just because, you can.
Thanks - I appreciate all the help.

...and yes, I do have some parts in my basement. ;)

Well after a bit of a delivery delay due to the recent weather here in Nashville, I finally received the Soundstream Picasso Nano Amp which I ordered. Now to start planning the installation, and looking for a yellow cutting board...

:)

Thanks again for all the input and guidance. I'll post up the installation over in my build thread.

IMG_9983.JPG

Look forward in hearing how you like it and how you have it all setup. I've only gotten my head unit so far and need to replace all my speakers & then get an amp & subwoofer.