Another CB radio SWR issue

D M

CEL free! (again)
Supporting Member
Hey everyone, trying to get my SWR dialed for the CB radio, Uniden Pro 520xl, 10ft male to male coax cable, 2' firestik on the teraflex taillight mount. Cannot get my SWR below 3, its around 3.7 ish no matter what I do. I used a dremel to get a clean ground for where the extra mounting bolt goes, but that solved nothing. There are no kinks in my cable, and my uniden is brand new. Could my SWR be high due to it being so close to my GMRS antenna? Heres a pic
8B6DA11D-2FFF-46E1-9A2B-8A95EA586584.jpeg

Hey everyone, trying to get my SWR dialed for the CB radio, Uniden Pro 520xl, 10ft male to male coax cable, 2' firestik on the teraflex taillight mount. Cannot get my SWR below 3, its around 3.7 ish no matter what I do. I used a dremel to get a clean ground for where the extra mounting bolt goes, but that solved nothing. There are no kinks in my cable, and my uniden is brand new. Could my SWR be high due to it being so close to my GMRS antenna? Heres a pic
View attachment 243793
Curious, Try disconnecting the GMRS antenna from the GMRS radio. Are the radios wired in the same power points?

Just checked my GMRS SWR and its alot higher than what it used to be. I tuned it when I didnt have the CB antenna installed and got it down to 1.01, highest would be 1.14. Now it reads 1.7-1.8 with the CB antenna installed. Am going to remove the gmrs antenna and see if it makes a difference

Reactions: Zorba
Removed the gmrs antenna completely and it dropped my swr alot. I tuned it and the lowest I could get it is about 1.9 on ch 20. I could lose alot more though

Ive noticed that when I put the firestik "cap" back on it throws my SWR all over the place. Could this be an indicator that I need a longer antenna such as a 3' instead of this 2'

Ive noticed that when I put the firestik "cap" back on it throws my SWR all over the place. Could this be an indicator that I need a longer antenna such as a 3' instead of this 2'

Not sure. I have a 3’ one and my SWR is around 1.5 and i just have a CB. My GMRS radio is a handheld. Hope @Jerry Bransford is back and can educate us on that part, He is a communication expert.

Last edited:
Reactions: D M
I moved my CB from TJ to LJ last year and never tuned it, until recently. I found that putting the cap back on changed the required antenna length significantly but was able to get 1.4 on 1 and 40. Having the cap on just changed everything and had to adjust again.

Reactions: D M
I moved my CB from TJ to LJ last year and never tuned it, until recently. I found that putting the cap back on changed the required antenna length significantly but was able to get 1.4 on 1 and 40. Having the cap on just changed everything and had to adjust again.
My buddy is coming back into town who has a 3' firestik, so im gonna try his and if I can get it low then im gonna snag a 3'