Another CB radio SWR issue

My 2' Firestik FS-2 gives a nice 1.2:1 SWR at mid-range ch 20 where I tuned it.
Am still confused how and why my setup wont reach that. I mentioned earlier that I used a friends 3' firestik and was able to get 1.2-1.3 with it on ch 20

The tub should be very well grounded to the chassis. How is your antenna mount attached to your tub? Posting a couple clear well-lit (use a flash) photos would be very helpful.
Thanks Jerry. Since I was having a problem similar to Chris's, I hijacked his thread here, and posted my pics there. I think that link should take you to my post, which was #101 on that thread. Any advice would be appreciated! I seem to have the same setup as you: Uniden XL520, Firestik II FS 2', and tail-light mount.

@Jerry Bransford do you like your ARR mount? I was planning on a rugged ridge windshield mount for my 2m/70cm and another mount at the A-pillar for my CB. But if the ARR overhead mount works for both I may go that route.

@Jerry Bransford do you like your ARR mount? I was planning on a rugged ridge windshield mount for my 2m/70cm and another mount at the A-pillar for my CB. But if the ARR overhead mount works for both I may go that route.
Love it. I had one on my previous (stolen) TJ and liked it so much that I installed another onto my replacement TJ. No drilling needed to mount the ARR and it hides the radio cables effectively.

I removed the ham radio's bottom cover and after drilling it for the CB's mount, stacked them as shown. I added large diameter washers on the back side of the bottom cover to distribute the CB's weight a little more. Probably overkill but I have washers of all sizes in my parts bin.

CB&HamRadios.JPG

Love it. I had one on my previous (stolen) TJ and liked it so much that I installed another onto my replacement TJ. No drilling needed to mount the ARR and it hides the radio cables effectively.

I removed the ham radio's bottom cover and after drilling it for the CB's mount, stacked them as shown. I added large diameter washers on the back side of the bottom cover to distribute the CB's weight a little more. Probably overkill but I have washers of all sizes in my parts bin.

View attachment 246440
Any recommendations for an antenna mount? I probably would like to mount my 3 or 4 ft firestik on my driver side tail light. Most seem to sell the powder coats mounts. I have found one company which sells a stainless steel mount and another which sells an aluminum mount.

SS or aluminum would be good choices, do avoid powder coating which makes it difficult to get a good enough RF ground. I like a tail light mount which is easy to mount.

When mounted by the taillight, a 4' antenna is taller than needed and really gets in the way of garage doors and parking/shopping mall low ceilings. I even stopped using my 3' and settled on my present 2' Firestik FS-2 antenna. It's totally out of the way, inobtrusive, and works very (!) well.

Reactions: D M
SS or aluminum would be good choices, do avoid powder coating which makes it difficult to get a good enough RF ground. I like a tail light mount which is easy to mount.

When mounted by the taillight, a 4' antenna is taller than needed and really gets in the way of garage doors and parking/shopping mall low ceilings. I even stopped using my 3' and settled on my present 2' Firestik FS-2 antenna. It's totally out of the way, inobtrusive, and works very (!) well.
Thanks to Both of you. I will not do the PC. Probably SS. Since I already own a 3 ft FS, I will give that one a try. Any thoughts as to whether I should add spring? If so , heavy or medium duty? Thanks again.

Thanks to Both of you. I will not do the PC. Probably SS. Since I already own a 3 ft FS, I will give that one a try. Any thoughts as to whether I should add spring? If so , heavy or medium duty? Thanks again.
I dont use the spring simply because mine was slapping my gmrs antenna, but I since moved the mount since having 2 antennas so close together messed up both SWR's. I dont run the spring anymore but have no complaints

When I was able to reach my wife from the RV in Moab while we were on Steel Bender, I don't think I would have even thought of trying it with the CB. Maybe I would be pleasantly surprised?

When I was able to reach my wife from the RV in Moab while we were on Steel Bender, I don't think I would have even thought of trying it with the CB. Maybe I would be pleasantly surprised?
Either way, CB still sounds like shit😝 Glad I added GMRS

X2 to no spring on the antenna. It makes it harder to tune and it allows the antenna to bang around on the top or roll cage on a bumpy trsil.

Keep a CB in the Jeep even if you add GMRS, ham, etc. CB isn't dead by any means and it's still by far the most popular means of communications on the trail. If you have just a GMRS you will be severely limiting your ability to talk to most people on the trail with you.

Reactions: SSTJ and D M

Found your post regarding a Spring. I ill go springless. Also if I have problems with my 3 ft FS I will then go to the 2 ft. Thanks again

I was thinking of getting 2 taillight mounts, one for CB on the driver side and one for 2M on the passenger side. Is that how yours is mounted, or do you prefer a front/rear setup? Also where are you finding SS or aluminum? I've only seen black powder coat.