Another Dana 44 Thread

Like I said, didn't realize you're in Prosper (Y'all had Chris Ross Football HC for a while) , but I could get there this weekend to buy them if you don't, ha.

You get an upgrade on both Jeeps, and a regear is in order either way, I've never had an automatic, but ideally you'd want more like 4.88's with 33's, but heck going to 4.10's will be an improvement, and you get to make an improvement on your daughters, get hers to a 44 rear, and sell her axles, I would think $500 for both is what a quick search showed. That nets $900 for this upgrade to both Jeeps, better gears and lockers for you, and better gears and slight upgrade rear to a 44 on your daughters.

For $900, it's a no brainer, seems like any move I made on my TJ was that or more, ha.

for the 32RH & 33's, 4.10 is what gets recommended around here most of the time. I have a new set of 4.56's (for a 30/44) and a Dana 30 TrueTrac that I was strongly considering using on mine. 4.56 is probably a little too much for the 33's, but I got all that for about $200, so I have some margin there to further offset my costs.

for the 32RH & 33's, 4.10 is what gets recommended around here most of the time. I have a new set of 4.56's (for a 30/44) and a Dana 30 TrueTrac that I was strongly considering using on mine. 4.56 is probably a little too much for the 33's, but I got all that for about $200, so I have some margin there to further offset my costs.

I have never owned an Auto, so that’s completely fair, I may have been thinking 35’s on what i read on that , my mistake.

Sounds like big you like the setup, yeah you have another thing to sell and offset. Nice.

I have never owned an Auto, so that’s completely fair, I may have been thinking 35’s on what i read on that , my mistake.

Sounds like big you like the setup, yeah you have another thing to sell and offset. Nice.

It depends on which year / which auto. The 32RH has no overdrive whereas the 42RLE has a ridiculously deep overdrive. So you neeed deeper gears with the 42RLE than the manual transmissions, which in turn require deeper gears than the 32RH.

This deal comes with the pump stuff.

The plan would be as follows:

These would replace the 30/44 combo on MY 97. I’m a 32Rh on 33’s with 3.55’s & open diffs. This is the jeep i wheel but also DD as much as possible.

My axles would move under daughters 97, which is currently on 30/35 with a 32RH, 33’s and 3.07’s.

Both Jeeps needed a regear, but only one was going to get one this summer, most likely would be mine. So this ends up costing me more, but also gets me more & improves both Jeeps with less effort (or at least less technical effort). Hers would still benefit from a re-gear but going from 3.07 to 3.55 will help. Of course that’s assuming these suckers are straight, gears don’t chatter, bearings are ok, etc.

4.10 is ideal with the 4.0, the 32RH, and 33s. On and off road.

The cost to regear your axles would probably land right around asking price for the axles, if not higher. When I had my Sahara and needed 4.10s I would have dived on a deal like this.

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT
These are out of an LJ...
4.10 is ideal with the 4.0, the 32RH, and 33s. On and off road.

The cost to regear your axles would probably land right around asking price for the axles, if not higher. When I had my Sahara and needed 4.10s I would have dived on a deal like this.

I’d be doing the regear myself, parts look to be ~$600, so that’s not a fair comparison (for me).

damnation, despite the fact that we were in constant communication up to the point where I said I wanted them and was working out when we could meet up, he just told me he sold them to a buddy.

I couldn't have moved any faster, they are still under his jeep and would be until tomorrow anyway.

Somebody likely offered him the going rate which he couldn't pass up. Sucks he won't honor your agreement.

Unfortunately, this is the norm nowadays and few will stand by their word.

The guy I bought my hard uppers from said his message box exploded with people wanting to buy them after I had agreed to buy them.

Me clicking on them and messaging him apparently put it back to the top in marketplace items.

Luckily, he was a man of his word.

I once sold a Honda motorcycle online and a guy agreed to my asking price with no haggle, so in my mind it was his.

I had MANY people offer me more to buy it out from under him, and they all acted like I was the problem for not being smart enough to realize that they would give me more 😟

And one time we agreed to buy a camper and were about an hour away from the seller.

As we pulled into his neighborhood, a truck passed us on the way out pulling a camper that looked suspiciously similar to the one we were coming to get.

He had sold it out from under us. He wouldn't even come to the door when we went to his address.

Your WORD used to mean something.

Now people hide behind the (perceived) anonymity of the internet and their real character comes out.

• Sad
Reactions: 97JadeTJ and JMT
Unfortunately, this is the norm nowadays and few will stand by their word.

The guy I bought my hard uppers from said his message box exploded with people wanting to buy them after I had agreed to buy them.

Me clicking on them and messaging him apparently put it back to the top in marketplace items.

Luckily, he was a man of his word.

I once sold a Honda motorcycle online and a guy agreed to my asking price with no haggle, so in my mind it was his.

I had MANY people offer me more to buy it out from under him, and they all acted like I was the problem for not being smart enough to realize that they would give me more 😟

And one time we agreed to buy a camper and were about an hour away from the seller.

As we pulled into his neighborhood, a truck passed us on the way out pulling a camper that looked suspiciously similar to the one we were coming to get.

He had sold it out from under us. He wouldn't even come to the door when we went to his address.

Your WORD used to mean something.

Now people hide behind the (perceived) anonymity of the internet and their real character comes out.

I hear you, but not all. Unfortunately, we hear about this, and I agree, but a lot of folks do.

Guy I bought my axles on this forum, kept his word for a year, he had an injury happen and couldn’t remove them and finally did, so there’s still hope. Ha

Reactions: RangerTJ
You grab the cash and walk out the door on a deal like that.

I hear you, but not all. Unfortunately, we hear about this, and I agree, but a lot of folks do.

Guy I bought my axles on this forum, kept his word for a year, he had an injury happen and couldn’t remove them and finally did, so there’s still hope. Ha

True, not all are like this and there are still good people about.

And to be fair, I would guess that I've encountered a lot more upfront and honest people buying online than the bad ones.

But the bad ones seem to stand out in your memory more 😁