Another Dana 44 Thread

hear

Can't type
Lifetime Supporting Member
A friend is parting ways with the 44's that were under his LJ Rubicon. Gonna be $1400 for the pair. They have 4.10's, all the brake hardware, the factory lockers (unsure what came in the rubicon, never been on my radar, really). I need to re-gear to 4.10's anyway, so this saves me that expense (in favor of a much larger expense).

Is this a good idea, bad idea, or just mid?

That’s a hell of a deal… I just payed $2800 for Truetrac’s and 4.10’s…

BTW… 3.73’s to 4.10’s will make you feel young again!… 😎

Everyone has told you, but yes, this is a screaming deal, especially if you want to go to 4.10's.

If you look in my build thread below, I bought 2005 Rubicon Dana 44's with 4.88's, got them for $4k and then sold my 30/35 for $2k or a touch more actually. The front had an auto locker, so got $1,200. Don't forget you can get some for your currents.

$1,400 I would purchase and pay shipping to Texas right now, and sell for $4k and people would be lined up to pay it.

The air lockers are there to inflate the bladder and engage the lockers in the stock Rubicon lockers. They came bolted to the skid by the output of the Transfer Case. I put mine under the hood, pics in thread, and they were like new. Even if he doesn't have them, you can get others, but you'll need to be careful, you need to have the right 5psi pump, or a regulator, but all doable, just simple wiring for switches and air lines, fuel line actually what I used.

This is not a hard job to do either. I say that, but there could be some issues as every project, but again just work, like I had to work on bending the rear hard brake line etc. No biggie.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/2005-texas-jeep-tj-never-sell-build.37076/

Do I have to be the only one not drinking the Kool aid?

Agreed it's a great deal ..but is it a great deal for you?

4:10s...does that work with your transmission and tire size now? Or are you planning on larger tires?

Do you have onboard air? As mentioned do these come with the pumps. Lot of complexity here...all doable...but personally I'd prefer an Eaton E-locker. There is a reason they switched to e-lockers for the JK. There's a reason John Currie prefers e-lockers.

Are they straight? Lotta people claim they have straight axles

Bearings, seals, u joints?

Lots to consider.

Me, i'd take that $1400 and spend a little more for a Super 30/35 kit

Remember too both the 44 and 30 on the front use the same outter stub shaft...so are you really upgrading with a 44? Sure everything else is stronger...but does it matter to what your planning on doing with your Jeep?

-Mac

P.S. knowing you your next post will be how you bought the entire Jeep!

• Face Palm
Reactions: hosejockey61
This deal comes with the pump stuff.

The plan would be as follows:

These would replace the 30/44 combo on MY 97. I’m a 32Rh on 33’s with 3.55’s & open diffs. This is the jeep i wheel but also DD as much as possible.

My axles would move under daughters 97, which is currently on 30/35 with a 32RH, 33’s and 3.07’s.

Both Jeeps needed a regear, but only one was going to get one this summer, most likely would be mine. So this ends up costing me more, but also gets me more & improves both Jeeps with less effort (or at least less technical effort). Hers would still benefit from a re-gear but going from 3.07 to 3.55 will help. Of course that’s assuming these suckers are straight, gears don’t chatter, bearings are ok, etc.

Me, i'd take that $1400 and spend a little more for a Super 30/35 kit

Remember too both the 44 and 30 on the front use the same outter stub shaft...so are you really upgrading with a 44? Sure everything else is stronger...but does it matter to what your planning on doing with your Jeep?

Kid's jeep doesn't need super anything, and I'm already on a 44 rear. You do raise a fair point about the axles. I have chromoly fronts so unless he does too, I'd technically be downgrading in that department. But if I bust one on the trail I can still get home, and then I can re-upgrade.

OR I could buy them and flip them to offset all my other jeep expenses.

Reactions: macleanflood

These would replace the 30/44 combo on MY 97. I’m a 32Rh on 33’s with 3.55’s & open diffs. This is the jeep i wheel but also DD as much as possible.

My axles would move under daughters 97, which is currently on 30/35 with a 32RH, 33’s and 3.07’s.

Both Jeeps needed a regear, but only one was going to get one this summer, most likely would be mine. So this ends up costing me more, but also gets me more & improves both Jeeps with less effort (or at least less technical effort). Hers would still benefit from a re-gear but going from 3.07 to 3.55 will help. Of course that’s assuming these suckers are straight, gears don’t chatter, bearings are ok, etc.

I’d go for it.

Like I said, didn't realize you're in Prosper (Y'all had Chris Ross Football HC for a while) , but I could get there this weekend to buy them if you don't, ha.

You get an upgrade on both Jeeps, and a regear is in order either way, I've never had an automatic, but ideally you'd want more like 4.88's with 33's, but heck going to 4.10's will be an improvement, and you get to make an improvement on your daughters, get hers to a 44 rear, and sell her axles, I would think $500 for both is what a quick search showed. That nets $900 for this upgrade to both Jeeps, better gears and lockers for you, and better gears and slight upgrade rear to a 44 on your daughters.

For $900, it's a no brainer, seems like any move I made on my TJ was that or more, ha.