Another rear bumper build

matkal

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I'm planning to build myself a simple rear bumper with help from my neighbor, who is a welder. I'm fabbing all the parts and he will weld it for me. I'm using 2x5x3/16 rectangular tubing 60" long.

I have a few questions for those more experienced than myself;
- Is 3/16" wall thickness enough or should I go with 1/4"?
- The recovery points are going to be welded thru, should I prepare the parts for A or B, C or D? (Should have flipped the pic 90 degrees)
6C8C8088-01DB-4A86-A2C7-2E77C4412615.jpeg

Last edited:
The finished product will look something like this……minus the hitch receiver and the tire carrier.
9BF3F888-91AC-4773-A57E-8B85D53ED483.jpeg

(Pic stolen from somewhere, sorry I’ve forgotten where or who)

Reactions: TJ Starting
Shouldn't the welder know what is best?
Probably but we haven’t gone beyond Me: “ I’m gonna build a bumper “
Him: “ cool, Bring the parts and I’ll weld it up “
So I’m making the parts ready for him to weld. He doesn’t have any experience with recovery points. Asking here so I can get started, not sure when I’ll get a chance to talk to him

I'd do a combination of b and c. B on the front and c on the rear. If you really want get crazy, do c and throw a plug weld in the center.
Thanks, b and c it is👍🏻 It will be a lot more work but better that then it breaking.

Got the steel cut for the stand offs(?) and a roughed in version of the frame tie ins and one of the metal shop guys is making the recovery points/ mounts, which is beyond my comfort level.

• Wow
Reactions: LONGJP2
Finally a pic…… the frame tie ins and the stand offs (gotta drill bigger holes. Lol) are ready to be welded.
Found a local steel shop that has the 2x5 steel tubing for a reasonable price $147 for 5’

Going to Texas for a long weekend, I’ll pick up the 2x5 and hopefully all the other parts will be ready to go when I get back

E5FD8247-B676-4F9A-9405-571D8B6365D0.jpeg

Reactions: OFF2BFE
3/16 wall, cheapest I could find close by. A couple places didn’t even have any. What’s it going for in GR?
I'd have to check...I haven't bought steel in a bit. If you're really curious, I can ask a buddy. He works for Visser Bros Construction welding up staircases all day. I know steel has gone way up in price, but dang...

I'd have to check...I haven't bought steel in a bit. If you're really curious, I can ask a buddy. He works for Visser Bros Construction welding up staircases all day. I know steel has gone way up in price, but dang...
Thanks but you don’t have to check

Finally a pic…… the frame tie ins and the stand offs (gotta drill bigger holes. Lol) are ready to be welded.
Found a local steel shop that has the 2x5 steel tubing for a reasonable price $147 for 5’

Going to Texas for a long weekend, I’ll pick up the 2x5 and hopefully all the other parts will be ready to go when I get back

View attachment 309817
I would plug weld the rear or cut a slot and weld the whole recovery point to the back of the tube. Have you thought of using 2” x 4” tubing? It might be easier to find and save some weight.about 7 lbs and it may be easier to find.

I would plug weld the rear or cut a slot and weld the whole recovery point to the back of the tube. Have you thought of using 2” x 4” tubing? It might be easier to find and save some weight.about 7 lbs and it may be easier to find.
I'll be going all the way through unless it's way to difficult to cut the openings in which case I'll plug or slot. I considered 2x4, I'll have to give it some more thought. Thanks for the advice.