Another Signal / Brake Light Issue

AZJoe

Greetings everyone. New Jeep owner and need of a little help. I have scoured the forum on this but still not sure. I just bought a 2004 X 2dr. When doing the test drive I found that when turning the left signal on, the left signal light came on solid and there was a buzzing noise. My wife noted that the left brake light was not working but the tail light was on. I figured it was just a bulb. Not a deal breaker and no other issues so I bought the Jeep.

Upon further inspection at home I found that the front left side marker light was broken. The plastic at the socket that locks into the housing was broken and the bulb was damaged. I took the bulb out and tried everything out. Now the buzz sound was gone but there is no left signal at all and no left brake light. The rear tail light comes on but no brake light. There is no light or anything for the left signal. Activating the hazard switch gives me flashing right side lights but nothing on the left.

Putting a voltage meter on the side marker light socket gets me the following:

Ignition off, parking lights turned on causes the high beam indicator to flash and I get 11.14 volts at the socket.

Ignition on, left signal activated, voltage to the marker light drops to 6v and no left turn signal, not even the left signal indicator. No left brake light when press on the brakes.

Ignition on, parking lights on, 11v to the side marker light socket, rear left tail light on. Activating the left turn signal causes the volts on the marker light socket to drop to 6v and there is no left signal, not even the left signal indicator or buzzing. No left brake light.

Everything on the right side works likes its supposed to and the headlights work properly.

Am I looking at the multi function switch as the main culprit or do I need to do some more searching?

Are these stock bulbs or LED’s? Has the stock wiring been modified?

Last edited:
Does the stock wiring look intact? Or has someone fooled with it?

Stock wiring is intact, all the grounds look good to include in the back light assembly. I am ordering a new side marker light socket and lens today to replace the damaged left side. I am considering just getting new MFSW at the same time as nothing else makes sense to me at this point. It's just left side turn signal and brake light. All other lighting/switches work as they are supposed to.

Stock wiring is intact, all the grounds look good to include in the back light assembly. I am ordering a new side marker light socket and lens today to replace the damaged left side. I am considering just getting new MFSW at the same time as nothing else makes sense to me at this point. It's just left side turn signal and brake light. All other lighting/switches work as they are supposed to.

May be obvious, but fuses are good? I think fuse 1 behind the glove box (20amp). No bare wires near the side markers or turn signal lamps? Just checking. There could be something in the turn signal stalk. Just throwing out ideas.

I switched out the multi function switch and still the same. Started checking grounds and found the third brake light was removed, wires just hanging on the rear tire carrier.There is a hitch so I started looking for a hitch wiring harness. Up under the fender liner on the right rear I found what is in the photo? Any idea what this is? I just now found the same on the right side and saw that one of the two connectors is not on the blue unit. Wondering if this is my signal/brake light issue. Still not sure what this mess is.

IMG_4574.JPG