Another sputtering problem

TrooperJosh

Supporting Member
So here is my question...

My 03 Rubi has been with me since November. I have replaced the Ignition coil, plugs, wires and filters. Also added the winch and lights, and my TJ was stalling occasionally in Reverse. I took it to a shop and explained what it was doing and they ran the codes... nothing. Then had me replace the battery for an Optima Battery... thinking the lights and winch were putting a strain on the battery. Well.... hasn't stalled in reverse for a bit, bit occasionally... I get a sputtering upon starting, then after it warms up and is turned off like going to the store, when you restart it is sputters like it wants to die until you rev it up and increase the RPMs... could this be the TPS? Or another issue?

I love that I was going to make a post about almost the same thing! So here is my question...

My 03 Rubi has been with me since November. I have replaced the Ignition coil, plugs, wires and filters. Also added the winch and lights, and my TJ was stalling occasionally in Reverse. I took it to a shop and explained what it was doing and they ran the codes... nothing. Then had me replace the battery for an Optima Battery... thinking the lights and winch were putting a strain on the battery. Well.... hasn't stalled in reverse for a bit, bit occasionally... I get a sputtering upon starting, then after it warms up and is turned off like going to the store, when you restart it is sputters like it wants to die until you rev it up and increase the RPMs... could this be the TPS? Or another issue?

It could be the TPS yes, but it could also be a host of other things. First off, are you throwing any check engine lights?

The paper doesn't show the codes... and I dont recall them except being told it was a vacuum line. Also note, the last code they thought was the gas cap. It had an aftermarket locking cap. I replaced with a OEM one, and no code since...

So here is my question...

TrooperJosh, mine had exact symptoms, finally solved after 3 months on/off troubleshooting... replaced TPS and still same stumbling.
At inspection this week O2 sensor showed not ready, (no 02 engine code) - I replaced with CORRECT NTK sensor and so far smoooooooth running, no hesitation and it passed emissions ☺

TrooperJosh, mine had exact symptoms, finally solved after 3 months on/off troubleshooting... replaced TPS and still same stumbling.
At inspection this week O2 sensor showed not ready, (no 02 engine code) - I replaced with CORRECT NTK sensor and so far smoooooooth running, no hesitation and it passed emissions ☺

Yep, this is why I always stress that people use the correct NGK / NTK sensors. Anything else is bound to give you trouble.

Reactions: KCsTJ
First clean your IAC and new spark plugs, I just use the non fancy Champion brand.
If still sputters, then you need maybe the O2 sensors and a new TPS.