Another TJ purchase advice thread

zackcj7

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Sorry guys, even though I have been a TJ owner for 12 years I don't don't have any first hand experience with automatic TJs or Safe-T-Caps.

I'm looking for a stockish TJ for my daughter. I found a 01 Sahara auto with 180k for a decent price. All the pics of the body and interior look great. I asked for underside pics and the first couple looked good. No obvious rust issues. Then the last two pics show what I believe is one of those Safe-T-Cap frame repair pieces. What do you guys think of the condition of the frame?

What should I check to verify the auto trans is in good shape? 42RLE for 2001 w/4.0L right?

imagejpeg_0-1.jpg

imagejpeg_0-2.jpg

imagejpeg_0-3.jpg

imagejpeg_0-4.jpg

Well all the northerners keep moving down here and bringing their rusty crap with them and all the good rust free ones are being bought by other northerners and taken up north. The supply is not what it used to be

Definitely been repaired..whats the asking price? It should be much lower than a similar jeep with a nice unmolested frame

1. Safe-t-cap is not welded in correctly. See no welds on the ends and no welds between the body mounts.

2. 97-02 had 32rh transmission 42RLE is 03-06. You can drive it in gear and see if it slips, find a long grade and see how well it hold gear going up hill. Also check the fluid to see if it’s burnt.

3. I would walk away from this Jeep.

So even if there is no sign of rust on the rest of the frame and I am more that capable of removing the Safe-T-Caps and doing the frame repair correctly it's still a walk a way? Why is that? Unseen rust inside the frame?

I don't plan to pay the guys asking price. Who does that?