Another transfer case question

Ole Rusty

Shadetree Mechanic
Lifetime Supporting Member
2005 4.0 with NGS370 6 spd manual transmission. 231J transfer case is leaking, suspected input shaft seal but when I cleaned it up the issue is a cracked case. JB weld has stopped the leak for a year now but I plan to replace the clutch over the winter and figure that's as good a time as any to swap the transfer case. Lots of used cases out there and want to be sure I'm picking the right one

Read several posts on short/medium/long shafts and the consensus seems to be any of those is compatible with my transmission. Question is what is this on my output shaft? Some sort of balancer? And more importantly do I need it? If so do I need to find a case that has one, or worst case can I swap mine to whatever case I buy?

PXL_20220913_001645720.MP~4.jpg

You sure it's a 231 and not a Rubicon 241? I suppose the tag answers that question.

Most of my knowledge is around 97s.

Could always throw a SSYE or SYE...slip yoke eliminator and a new driveshaft at the new to you transfer case.

Got a lift? Any reason to do that?

-Mac

You can live without it. If you install an SYE, the harmonic balancer must be removed (press fit), and there is no place to mount it on the new short shaft. And everything still works fine.

If you're never going to install an SYE, you may want to keep the balancer. I don't know if a pre-2005 TC will have the place on the shaft to mount it.

Tailshaft.jpg

Reactions: Ole Rusty
You can live without it. If you install an SYE, the harmonic balancer must be removed (press fit), and there is no place to mount it on the new short shaft. And everything still works fine.

If you're never going to install an SYE, you may want to keep the balancer. I don't know if a pre-2005 TC will have the place on the shaft to mount it.

View attachment 468836

That's what I was hoping to hear. I found a used 231 on the FaceSpace Marketplace for $100. Everything looks the same minus the balancer so I'm gonna go with it. Not sure of the year but it seems to have the same shoulder for the balancer but it's covered by some sort of piece over the seal. Either way I'm going without it unless someone chimes in that's a bad idea.

PXL_20231026_222632203.jpg

PXL_20231027_002149284.jpg

PXL_20231026_222611617.jpg

That's what I was hoping to hear. I found a used 231 on the FaceSpace Marketplace for $100. Everything looks the same minus the balancer so I'm gonna go with it. Not sure of the year but it seems to have the same shoulder for the balancer but it's covered by some sort of piece over the seal. Either way I'm going without it unless someone chimes in that's a bad idea.

View attachment 468882

View attachment 468881

View attachment 468880

You should check out your front driveshaft centering yoke bearing and driveshaft slip joints.When those seize up the case can get broken like yours. It would be a shame to have it happen again

Reactions: Ole Rusty
You should check out your front driveshaft centering yoke bearing and driveshaft slip joints.When those seize up the case can get broken like yours. It would be a shame to have it happen again

I'll check that. It's cracked around whatever this bolt is on the underside. I was guessing someone maybe installed it with an air hammer or just cranked down on it and cracked the case. More pictures here of where the crack is located. Post 11.

Post in thread 'Ole Rusty's 05 Unlimited Grocery Getter and Summertime Convertible' https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...and-summertime-convertible.66944/post-1237013

PXL_20220912_235818396.MP.jpg

Are the driveshafts compatible between the old style sans balancer and the new?

Wondering if you need a new/different shaft.

-Mac