Another where's this vibration coming from thread

Chris G

TJ Enthusiast
Unfortunately, I have a new vibration in the TJ. I’ve spent the past week or so trying to nail down the exact conditions under which it happens so I could come here for some advice as to what to look for before I go out and roll around on the concrete in single-digit Michigan temps to start diagnostics. Here’s what I’ve come up with so far:

-the vibration happens when I am in gear coasting (when I’m driving along and let off the gas)
-it happens in any gear and at any speed
-it does not happen when I’m accelerating or when I’m giving it gas to hold a constant speed
-it does not happen when I have the clutch depressed or if I’m in neutral
-it is more of a rumble I can feel through my feet in the floor rather than a whole vehicle shaking vibration

Has anyone experienced these symptoms before, or does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

This of course could be almost anything or possibly several things at once. Here's a good way to check for loose parts on the drive shaft(s) though.

1. A loose part. This could be on the front or rear, both should be checked. on some vehicles, even in 2WD the front shaft is spinning passively. A good test for loose parts is to set your park brake and/or chock the wheels then scoot underneath your vehicle. Give each drive shaft a good hard shake up and down. If you can feel anything moving and/or hear a knocking sound then there is something loose that needs to be replaced or tightened.