Antifreeze coming out of the A/C box drain hole

Lowcountryearl

TJ Enthusiast
So, been working on installing Jeepair on my 98, not too bad of a job. While I had it torn down, figured I would replace the radiator, thermostat and housing and water pump. Got it put back together and pulled a vacuum on the AC system and it held over-night, was soooo happy. Put antifreeze in the radiator, started it up and almost immediately the green fluid started coming out of the AC box drain hole and between the sheet metal on the firewall. Too late and too tired and hot (113 with the heat index) to mess with yesterday evening. Thought about it quite a bit. since I drained most of the cooling system do you think the pressure was too much when I started the engine,,maybe with all the air in the lines and block etc took out the heater core?

I cleaned and inspected the core prior to re-installation, it was a brass and copper one so wanted to keep it.
Thoughts?

It's possible that the pressure change and/or handling the core brought about a leak that was going to happen eventually. A lot of us have had to replace the original. Try and find a Mopar replacement if you can, otherwise @Chris has said that Valeo makes the OEM replacements.

Correct. Valeo was the OEM supplier to Mopar for the heater cores used in the TJ, so if you can find a Valeo replacement, I would suggesting using it.

I have searched high and low for either, nothing.
Might try and find the leak and take it to a radiator shop and see what they think.
I'm as nervous as a squirrel pooping prune seeds about putting it back together and having the same thing happen. Maybe fill the core up with water before closing the system up and filling with glycol?

Any radiator shop that could repair a core could also pressure test it after repairs.

Reactions: Ephry73
I have searched high and low for either, nothing.
Might try and find the leak and take it to a radiator shop and see what they think.
I'm as nervous as a squirrel pooping prune seeds about putting it back together and having the same thing happen. Maybe fill the core up with water before closing the system up and filling with glycol?
Are you still in Charleston, SC? If so, just bypass it (I would have if I could have!).

If you get chilly, install some seat heaters.

Well I took it apart and figured out what it was,,
The screw that holds the brackets for the two outlets got skewed and drilled right through the brass fitting so I will get that repaired

So, got the ac system back together, new jeepair system never installed, did the normal stuff, pulled a vacuum let is sit for hours all good, went to charge the system and everything was looking good. Got about a half a can into the system, clutch on compressor was cycling as it should and BAMM, the high pressure hose from compressor to condenser blew off the condenser side. Some oil shot out, not sure how much which brings up the problem. Will buy a new hose and evacuate the system but how do I know how much PAG 46 oil to put back in?

The FSM has recommendations for amounts of oil in different parts of the system, but the aftermarket system will probably have different amounts. You can either contact the manufacturer IF their customer service is available and ask them otherwise I would say to add 2-3 oz and call it good.

I have the specs on the compressor, uses PAG 100, sorry I put 46 and 8.5 ounces for the system so, as you suggested, probably add 2-3 oz of PAG 100.