Any differences between transfer case from an auto versus a manual?

1Blacktj

TJ Enthusiast
I am looking at a Transfer case for sale and the guy says it is out of an 06 LJ. I am wanting to put a slip yoke eliminator in that one and take my case out of my 06 TJ. should there be any differences between the ma ual and auto transfer case? and I have heard that the LJ have the different transfer case. Is that true?

Only Rubicons had a different Tcase. It’s just a normal LJ then it’ll have the same 231J transfer case.

It might work, depending on the input shaft length, but if there's nothing wrong with your current transfer case I would install the SYE in it while it's still in the Jeep. It's less work in my opinion to install a SYE with the transfer case still attached than it is to remove the transfer case, install a SYE, and put it back in.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'm gonna step out on a limb and say if you have both boxes you should be able to swap the parts mating to the automatic for the manual parts. Just curious, why the trade?

Well I just saw a really cheap transfer case on Craigslist and he was offering it for 300$ but he said he would take 150$ and I haven't ever tried putting a slip yoke eliminator in and I want to give myself plenty of time to be able to put the slip yoke eliminator in. I also drive my Jeep everyday so it isn't something I could start and be working on it for awhile.

You can change the input shaft though correct? I am already gonna have the case apart to put the slip yoke eliminator in there

Yes, changing the input shaft isn't hard, especially if you already have it apart.

Not sure how much that actually matters.
I swapped out my NV3550 for a AX15 and used the same Tcase without issues.

It might not matter in that case. I've never actually done it so I am not entirely sure. Sounds like you were able to do it without issue though!

Well I just saw a really cheap transfer case on Craigslist and he was offering it for 300$ but he said he would take 150$ and I haven't ever tried putting a slip yoke eliminator in and I want to give myself plenty of time to be able to put the slip yoke eliminator in. I also drive my Jeep everyday so it isn't something I could start and be working on it for awhile.
Yeah for that price it's worth getting so you can take your time. It makes it a lot less stressful knowing that if you don't finish you'll still be able to get to work the next day.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

So I just want to make sure I am understanding this right. So the transfer case in my jeep is a 231 out of an automatic so it should have a short input shaft. The transfer case I am buying is a 231 out of a manual so it should have the long input shaft. So to put the manual into my automatic, I will have to have a short input shaft correct?

Not sure how much that actually matters.
I swapped out my NV3550 for a AX15 and used the same Tcase without issues.
Notice both of your transmissions were manuals which would use the same length input shaft in the transfer case. The length difference matters a lot when the transfer case was made for an automatic but the transmission is a manual or visa versa. Tcase input shafts made for manual transmissions are, generally speaking, too short to seal an automatic transmission's output shaft.

I did a transmission conversion from a manual to an automatic. I learned about the difference in 231 input shaft length differences for auto vs. manual transmissions when my new 32RH automatic leaked ATF like a sieve out its output shaft because my manual-style 231 tcase input shaft wasn't long enough to seal it. I ended up having to install an extended output shaft into the 32RH so it would seal.

If you can get the tag numbers off of the two tcases I can tell you if they are the same or different.

Here is the tag off of my case

And here is the tag off of the case I am buying

Your top 231 tcase is configured for your automatic. The bottom tcase is configured for a manual transmission... which means it has a different length input shaft.

Yea i called novak and they said the same thing but just couldn't pass up being able to get it for so cheap and to be somewhat local to me
I don't understand why you'd buy a transfer case without verifying it was the right model first but ok. I guess that means you are prepared to disassemble both transfer cases so you can transfer your old input shaft to the new transfer case.

I don't understand why you'd buy a transfer case without verifying it was the right model first but ok. I guess that means you are prepared to disassemble both transfer cases so you can transfer your old input shaft to the new transfer case.
You must not have read the thread. I am buying it because I am wanting to put a Slip yoke eliminator in and want to be able to take my time and do it outside of the jeep and still be able to drive my jeep. And i will more than likely just buy a new input shaft and sell my old transfer case to recoop the money.

You must not have read the thread. I am buying it because I am wanting to put a Slip yoke eliminator in and want to be able to take my time and do it outside of the jeep and still be able to drive my jeep. And i will more than likely just buy a new input shaft and sell my old transfer case to recoop the money.
I did read it. It only takes a couple hours to install a SYE, and it's definitely easier/faster to install with the tcase still bolted to the transmission after just removing the rear half of the case. That may seem counterintuitive but it's true. It also means you wouldn't have to order the correct input shaft at more expense.

I did read it. It only takes a couple hours to install a SYE, and it's definitely easier/faster to install with the tcase still bolted to the transmission after just removing the rear half of the case. That may seem counterintuitive but it's true. It also means you wouldn't have to order the correct input shaft at more expense.
For someone who has never did anything this mechanical, I would like to be able to have it out in front of me and have plenty of time to be able to disassemble and reassemble it. I have heard both sides of it being easier doing it in the jeep and doing it out.