Any Electrical Engineers or electronically savvy people to hep with diode selection?

nitrofalcon

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Together with great input from @MountaineerTom , @hear , and @TimV we managed to identify the source of my high beam indicator light on the dash straying on for almost 30 to 45 seconds after switching to low beam. This is a safety issue for me with oncoming traffic as I cant always tell whether the high beams are on or not. It turns out there's a voltage feed back leak from the led headlights back to the indicator light when switching from high to low beam. The solution is to install a diode on each headlight wire near the connector (or somewhere) to prevent the voltage feedback leak.

I know very little about diodes and have no idea how to spec and select one. It seems, based on my research a Shockley diode is the best choice since it has a low voltage drop in forward direction. Here is my particular selection/need criteria:

Headlight data
Headlight voltage spec: 35 Watts
. I'm assuming this is the total when both high and low beams are on.
Voltage input: obviously 12 volts
Current: 2.92 amps (I = W ÷ V or, 35 divided by 12 volts)
. Again, I'm assuming this is for both high and low beams on.

Assumptions (may be wrong!)
The diodes will need to be installed on the high beam voltage feed wire only, if in fact there are two separate wires for high and low beam voltage feed.

I understand you need a higher margin for the current and/or voltage than above indicated values for the diode selection in order to compensate for spikes and such I guess, And that a diode with reasonably higher values is better. Most likely I can figure out from the wiring diagram(s) where to install the diodes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
I don't have any good technical info, but glad you're on your way to figuring it out. I suspect someone here with be electrically proficient enough to help.

Reactions: nitrofalcon
Install a relay harness with a diode relay, the it isolates the lights from the dash light, those Toyota light harnesses can do the same thing.

Reactions: nitrofalcon