Any fabricators or steel people in this forum

Kathy

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
we are preparing to build the mezzanine in our new workshop and Dave’s work has thrown away some steel beams that are long enough to work for support beams but we don’t know if they are strong enough? They were made to pour cement at his plant or something like that .
013D2C9A-632B-4DFF-B90D-EA5E8440C03E.jpeg
C0B98E0D-F246-47BA-B7FE-AB0A771BC6C2.jpeg

Reactions: Chris and Cisco Kid
we are preparing to build the mezzanine in our new workshop and Dave’s work has thrown away some steel beams that are long enough to work for support beams but we don’t know if they are strong enough? They were made to pour cement at his plant or something like that .
View attachment 58725 View attachment 58726
If this is structural. You really need a engineer to tell you. Last thing you want is a floor to fall down on your head. Or worse fall on your Jeep

Reactions: Chris and Cisco Kid
If this is structural. You really need a engineer to tell you. Last thing you want is a floor to fall down on your head. Or worse fall on your Jeep
:qmeparto: Good point! And it’s steel. But it feels like stealing them. I guess we will pass . That’s sort of what Dave said but I hate to pass up free ! But not at the risk of damaging our Jeeps!!

Recycle it.

Use the funds to buy jeep mods.
I guess if no one takes it to use ,the company does scrap things. I don’t quite understand how they decide those things, but I told Dave the same thing. But it sounds like they will scrap it themselves. Dave’s brought home other smaller scrap that has added up to over 2,000 already . But I guess big stuff they decide it’s worth it on??

Reactions: Squatch
I guess if no one takes it to use ,the company does scrap things. I don’t quite understand how they decide those things, but I told Dave the same thing. But it sounds like they will scrap it themselves. Dave’s brought home other smaller scrap that has added up to over 2,000 already . But I guess big stuff they decide it’s worth it on??
The place I work for was purging a bunch of old tooling, and made a deal with me that if I could empty the scrap bin every Friday, I could have the metal until the supply ran out. I made $5,500 in three months hauling scrap. It was awesome!

The place I work for was purging a bunch of old tooling, and made a deal with me that if I could empty the scrap bin every Friday, I could have the metal until the supply ran out. I made $5,500 in three months hauling scrap. It was awesome!
Exactly! I’m a believer now. I was mad at first when dave was dragging all this junk home but quickly became a believer when he cashed in the first load. The one thing that needed to stop was his stripping small wires. It was time consuming and ended up not being worth the time . My son has now gotten into scrapping but the learning curve for him is long! Some place talked him into scrapping like 35 TVs. I eventually gave him an ultimatum that the parts of tvs needed to be cleaned up from the back yard of my house , and he ended paying 40.00 or 60.00 to get rid of the plastic. I’m sure he didn’t make that much from the parts he pulled to scrap. But it can be easy money if you have good leads. And you had a great deal going with your employer!

Nope IMO it is not of suffent thickness to be structural. As a form, which is what they were using it for, it's fine. What are they 12'? One key question though is the size you were planning on building and spacing.

Reactions: Kathy and Cisco Kid
Nope IMO it is not of suffent thickness to be structural. As a form, which is what they were using it for, it's fine. What are they 12'? One key question though is the size you were planning on building and spacing.
I’d have to ask Dave for sure, but thinking we will pass on them and get some guidance on what to use once we have all the details of the space figured out. Thanks for your input!

By checking the thickness of the material, and the size (shape - example = 6”x8” rectangle), there are charts online indicating load capacity by length used. Also, depending on whether you’re using angle braces, gussets, bolts, or welding, you may be ok using them. It really depends on HOW you’re using them. If you can determine roughly how much weight they’ll be supporting, adding any known lateral weight, you may be fine.
Steel is bought and sold by 100lb increments. Doesn’t matter whether it’s scrap, or new from the mill. Scrap prices change daily by demand, and they are regional. Iron Age can give you current scrap prices for your area, and help you get more for your effort. Scrap dealers are notoriously known for being greedy bottom feeders, and will bend you over every chance they can get.
You may collect all the scrap you can get your hands on, and take it to the scrap yard and sell it to them. Then take your money to the local industrial steel supplier and buy the beams you really want. Some suppliers carry “seconds” type material. You may have to clean the light rust, or dirt off of it, and or paint it before using it, but it’ll be cheaper than the “fresh from the mill” stuff.

Reactions: Kathy and Squatch
without knowing dimensions of what your trying ti build it would be impossible to tell. what would be the distance between supports? what are they supporting?
They (the people wanting to know if they can use the red iron beams pictured) would have to have some idea of what they want to build, how they want to use those beams whether it be vertically or horizontally, and what that weighs. Pound per foot weights can be found online for all structural steel. Add those up, piece by piece, and whether it be a carport type cover, or a simple weather shed, the overall weight of the structure can be determined. Safety factors such as square feet of surface supporting X feet of wet snow, plus six grandkids on one porch swing, and 37 one gallon hanging flowerpots, and 12 ceiling fans, should also be factored in. That’s where structural engineers come in.
If it wobbles a little bit during a hard rain, chances are you shouldn’t use it to pull the motor and tranny out of your Jeep.

Reactions: Kathy
They (the people wanting to know if they can use the red iron beams pictured) would have to have some idea of what they want to build, how they want to use those beams whether it be vertically or horizontally, and what that weighs. Pound per foot weights can be found online for all structural steel. Add those up, piece by piece, and whether it be a carport type cover, or a simple weather shed, the overall weight of the structure can be determined. Safety factors such as square feet of surface supporting X feet of wet snow, plus six grandkids on one porch swing, and 37 one gallon hanging flowerpots, and 12 ceiling fans, should also be factored in. That’s where structural engineers come in.
If it wobbles a little bit during a hard rain, chances are you shouldn’t use it to pull the motor and tranny out of your Jeep.
Attached is,the space we plan on building the mezzanine. Im also attaching a picture of what we are looking at doing potentially. The width of our building is 42, so the mezzanine will run that entire length. However, he’s planning on having at least one room below if not two which means there would be support walls also. He wants to have his woodworking stuff upstairs, but that is up for debate.
FDC7DEEE-2BF7-4AF3-A196-226233962A99.jpeg
0B54FD0F-E145-49C5-A87C-1EAB25D5EC51.jpeg
EB8F5DC4-9C25-40E7-96ED-B34AA6E65FCD.jpeg
4309E80F-9FFA-46F5-9FA0-55D0A8BC098B.png
6C100EDC-FE2F-4C74-AB54-B0CBB8110109.png
90B56DB2-6AB9-4701-8A20-FC5366037E78.png

Attached is,the space we plan on building the mezzanine. Im also attaching a picture of what we are looking at doing potentially. The width of our building is 42, so the mezzanine will run that entire length. However, he’s planning on having at least one room below if not two which means there would be support walls also. He wants to have his woodworking stuff upstairs, but that is up for debate.
View attachment 58818 View attachment 58819 View attachment 58820 View attachment 58821 View attachment 58822 View attachment 58823
Kathy, you will still have to find out what the beams will hold, and determine how much overall weight you plan to put on them. “Overkill” should probably be the key phrase when building it. By all means if you can get the beams for free, take them. After looking up what they can hold, I’m sure you can incorporate them into the plan somewhere. Get any and all scrap iron you can. Even small pieces can be used for gussets, base plates, tie backs, and support arms. Pipe, angle iron, couplings, everything. After it’s all said and done you can haul all remaining to the scrap yard and sell it.
“I got it one piece at a time, and it didn’t cost me a dime.” Johnny Cash

Reactions: Kathy
Thanks @Fixer6 . Well Dave’s focus has moved onto a impulse buy, that he’s justifying stating it will help finish our landscaping. 1933 caterpillar has now taken up one of very few days to complete things.
I love johnny cash. I just got my parents one of his albums for their turn table they inherited from his uncle.
619C3DBA-465E-4BE8-A6E1-48F481F3504B.jpeg

Nice plan but no those beams are not adequate for you needs.

I will say though this is the first time I've ever heard of a dozer impulse buy.
If it wasnt my reality, I would be laughing right now. They have now spent the last 45 min. Trying to get it started again to get it off the trailer. It’s so old it has the crank start in the front of the radiator .:nusenuse::nut::llorona:

The best part about the entire thing is Dave’s dad has stage 4 cancer and they don’t spend much time together. Dave’s dad is the areas old engine guru, so this has brought them together and have spent the day together and am figuring many more days working on this thing. So for that, I am happy.