Any idea what this light blue wire does?

TominAZ

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hello, I removed my carpet to clean and noticed this little blue wire underneath the OBD port. It coming from the factory harness. Looks like it needs a home, but I don't see where it should go. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Tom.
1997 TJ sport, manuel
20200130_121901.jpg.jpeg

I don't, but if the wire hasn't been molested in any way, I would think that it's home isn't too far away. Having that type of connection on the end means that it was pulled loose from a wiring harness connector. I would look to see what all plugs are within it's reach, then locate those plugs in the FSM's pinout section to see which one it went to and which slot it needs to return to. If the metal connector has been smashed, you can get replacements on Amazon or eBay. Look up Delphi connectors. There are two different types, round and flat. You'll just need to make sure you get the right style and wire size.

No idea, but you take another pic or two of your modified clutch pedal?

Looks like the same type of terminal on the end as the connector above it.

I agree with checking the factory service manual wiring diagrams. You can download the manuals in the Resources Forum.

Reactions: bedhed
Maybe Skim or Satellite (Sirius)?
Doesn't appear to be that. Just took a quick look around mine to see if anything stood out.
Here's the wiring for the XM receiver.
IMG_20200201_115230740.jpg

I'm seeing a couple with light blue here at the main harness. LB/OR, LB/VT, and BL/LB. But no light blue only.
Screenshot_20200201-115602.png

Last edited:
Thanks for checking. If its some sort of add-on, then I don't care about it, but it sure looks factory to me. More research is needed.
....yes, that pedal extender is helping my daughter learn to drive a stick. She gets to take this jeep to Penn State in early May to start the Summer semester. I have three more months to get it ready for the rust belt and no real maintinance other than jiffy lube.

Thanks for checking. If its some sort of add-on, then I don't care about it, but it sure looks factory to me. More research is needed.
No problem. Something else that I would do is eyeball the wire as far back as you can, and even check an area that has had it covered for all of these years. It doesn't look like it in the picture, but the possibility of fading crossed my mind. I've been into a few different vehicles that had wire colors that had faded to a point where the faded color looked convincingly original. Just a thought. Let us know what you come up with.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
....yes, that pedal extender is helping my daughter learn to drive a stick. She gets to take this jeep to Penn State in early May to start the Summer semester. I have three more months to get it ready for the rust belt and no real maintinance other than jiffy lube.

From Arizona to Penn State? As long as the winter doesn't kill her she'll love State College. It's a great little college town in a beautiful area. I'm no doubt biased and being true to my school but she can't go wrong with Penn State.

Reactions: Steel City 06
On my '97 the only light blue wire there goes to connector C203. It's a green connector up under the left side, almost behind where the speaker is there's a block of 4 connectors. Still working on figuring out what it's for though

My 04 has a similar wire coming from the factory harness. Goes to the white block pictured above the ODB2 port. I can't tell you what it's for but it looks like that's where it goes.

20200201_161429.jpg

20200201_161505.jpg

Thanks! This is getting me there. I see from the autozone website that is pin 5, circuit G32, listed as VT/LB color on a 2006. Probably the right one. Now I have to just get in there and look. I can't do that until late Sunday after the Superbowl, but I will let you know. I guess the key-in switch just detects that that the key is inserted.
0996b43f807ce162.gif

Your best bet is to make sure the door switch override fuse is in the box behind the glove box, put the key in the ignition and open the door and see if it chimes or not. If it doesn't, then that could be somebody's backyard way of disabling that system.

The fuse was out when I bought the jeep. (PO liked to drive it with no doors.) I put the fuse back and hadn't noticed that there was no chime when the key was in with doors open, or when the headlights were left on. That would explain it. BUT, its also possible that other C203 wires are coming loose. I've read that those loose wires can make your gauges flake out. I will need to check them all. I've added it to my growing list!