Any Pathfinder or ArcGIS users?

tworley

Ignored :(
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I use a Trimble Geo7x unit with Terrasync for a lot of my wetlands and T&E species work. I can download, do differential corrections, and export data fairly easily using our pathfinder program. But thats about where my experience ends. It would be real helpful if I could upload an aerial image and turn it on as a background layer on my Geo7x unit. Anyone have experience with this? Ive attempted, but it gets real confusing real fast converting a .jpg image to raster, .imp, .wld, .tif and all the other types of files. I know it can be done, I've had internal departments at old companies do this for me. But they are no longer around.

I guess this question would be geared towards professional surveyors; How can I upload the latest GoogleEarth aerial imagery to be used on my Trimble GPS unit?

I work in GIS.

It's been a long time since I've used Trimble stuff, but what you need is georeferenced imagery. That can mean that the file has the georeferencing information within it or as a sidecar file (depending on the file format). I'm not sure if you can download Google Earth imagery and use it with Terrasync or not, but Trimble should provide details on which file formats and georeferencing they support.

I found an older USFS doc on using background imagery in Terrasync here:
https://www.fs.fed.us/GRAIP/downloads/GPS/SupportNote_TerraSyncBackgroundFiles.pdf

I work in GIS.

It's been a long time since I've used Trimble stuff, but what you need is georeferenced imagery. That can mean that the file has the georeferencing information within it or as a sidecar file (depending on the file format). I'm not sure if you can download Google Earth imagery and use it with Terrasync or not, but Trimble should provide details on which file formats and georeferencing they support.

I found an older USFS doc on using background imagery in Terrasync here:
https://www.fs.fed.us/GRAIP/downloads/GPS/SupportNote_TerraSyncBackgroundFiles.pdf
Thanks--I will have to play around with this a bit more. I was able to get the aerial into a TFF file, but when uploading to the GPS unit I am getting an error message.

Thanks--I will have to play around with this a bit more. I was able to get the aerial into a TFF file, but when uploading to the GPS unit I am getting an error message.
Do you mean a TIFF file? They typically have a .tif extension.

If so, TIFFs require a corresponding world file which has a .tfw extension (first letter of image file extension + last letter of image file extension + letter 'w' for 'world') in the same directory on the handheld.

World files are just a small, simple text file that contains the georeferencing information that allows mapping software to line the image file up correctly with other layers and your current location. JPEGs also use world files (with a .jgw extension).

If you're downloading your background imagery, sometimes they come with the world file. If not, you can create it by georeferencing the image yourself in ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro. It's not difficult to do. PM me if I can help out.

Do you mean a TIFF file? They typically have a .tif extension.

If so, TIFFs require a corresponding world file which has a .tfw extension (first letter of image file extension + last letter of image file extension + letter 'w' for 'world') in the same directory on the handheld.

World files are just a small, simple text file that contains the georeferencing information that allows mapping software to line the image file up correctly with other layers and your current location. JPEGs also use world files (with a .jgw extension).

If you're downloading your background imagery, sometimes they come with the world file. If not, you can create it by georeferencing the image yourself in ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro. It's not difficult to do. PM me if I can help out.
Late response--but yes I had meant TIFF file. I may send you a PM in the next day or two. Have a big project coming in the mtns that will be about 900 acres. Would love to have an aerial image on the GPS to help me in the field.

Reactions: RMETeeJay