Any recommendations on big brake kits?

Reactions: JMT
There is no better big brake kit than the Vanco / Black Magic Brake big brake kit sold by @mrblaine.

I run the 17" kit on my TJ and it's outstanding. I ran the 16" kit on my old TJ, and it too was awesome!

I have the 15" BMB BBK and like repeated above, best kit out there. Instructions are spot on!

i put cross drilled and slotted power stop and pads all the way around and I am not impressed! Actually i see no difference I will sold a bill of goods on the improved braking. I wish i had gone with BB conversion.

Reactions: Chris
Depending on tire size you may not even need a big brake kit. Black Magic pads, and centric rotors are a huge step up from stock.

If you do need a big brake kit, then Black Magic is still the one to go to.

I’m gonna be the contrarian here with a non-responsive reply but mostly because I cheaped out with an inferior setup. I bought the Centric premium rotors & zinc plated calipers that are in the Black Magic upgrade but settled for whatever pads ‘came with’ the calipers from Rock Auto; all in I paid $167.00 (after I returned the cores) which is over $200 less than the BMB kit which has the vaunted upgraded brake pads everyone raves about I’m sure with good reason; so while I was aware when I ordered them that the brakes weren’t as good as BMB, I’ve gotten so beat up lately with parts I had to start drawing lines somewhere. People often say brakes aren’t the place to draw the line but truth is I’ve never had even the slightest difficulty braking or stopping under any road or off-road scenarios with my old beat up brakes & these new ones are at least better than they were so it’s all good for now. Maybe it’s because I’m only on 33s, or the fact that my TJ is relatively light compared to some, or that I drive on the road like a little old lady :D, probably all of the above.

i put cross drilled and slotted power stop and pads all the way around and I am not impressed! Actually i see no difference
You might have even lost braking performance from having installed those rotors. Drilling/slotting reduces the swept surface so the pads have less surface to grab against. Drilling & slots only aid in cooling during racing when the rotors are getting hot enough to turn colors.

I also agree wholeheartedly with the recommendations for the www.blackmagicbrakes.com Big Brake Kit which I have run on both of my TJs for many years now.

Last edited: