Any skiers / snowboarders on the forum?

EJD

TJ Overlander
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I'm planning a little trip over to Timberline Lodge at Mt. Hood for some snowboarding next month and it made me wonder who else might be getting out and enjoying snow outside of the Jeep. Any Skiers/Snowboarders on the forum? Any good trips planned for 2020?

PS: If anyone should feel inclined to join me at Timberline send me a PM!

Reactions: Mrgreg66
I used to snowboard but haven't been for a few years. Hope you have good snow there. We don't really have any in North Idaho yet this season.

Reactions: EJD
Yes, I’m a skier and snowboarder. Mt Spokane is partially open as is 49* North Latitude. I’m sure some others are open or partially open over on the E side of WA, but not much snow yet. I’ll be heading up toward Calispell peak in WA tomorrow, I’ll check on the snow for you. Would love to hit some slopes!

I’m a snowboarder, don’t go much anymore, maybe a couple times a year. A lot of my friends have been riding Crystal MT this year and say’n the snow keeps getting better and better every weekend.

I’ve been snowboarding since I was about 9 years old. Living in Jackson Hole for a few years made it easy to get somewhat good.

Funnily, I only have two photos. One from the time a couple buddies built a backcountry jump in January 2017 and one from July 2013 on top of the Blackcomb Glacier.

4EFE982B-E57C-48F2-96F6-F280B7A3E3E7.jpeg

C1981131-32E8-44C6-B370-EE826729C4A1.jpeg

Here is also one of my board.

01337539-D256-428F-9319-8262CF8E5A0E.jpeg

Reactions: Mrgreg66 and EJD
Yeah I have to say it feels pretty weird to have not seen 1 flake of snow at all since living on the coast but hey, thats partially what we moved here for. Meanwhile a major snowstorm chased us out of the mountains when we moved back in september.

PS: Check this out, just recently found this from 2011 when I was working with K2. This was taken at Easy Street Records in downtown Seattle. I'm the dude on the left side of the stage in the yellow jumpsuit, lmao.

BGW12_031-page-001.jpg

Last edited:
Skier here. Went to Powder Mountain, UT today and it was one of the best days I've ever had. Been skiing since I was a kid all over the place, and I'd have to say that hands down this mountain is the best I've ever been on. Largest resort by skiable acres in N America. If you're ever in Utah do yourself a favor and pass on Park City, Solitude, Deer Valley, or any of the others. Powder Mountain is where it's at. I was telling myself all day that I can't believe I live here.

1577590736611.png

Reactions: Mrgreg66
Snowboarder here. Raised Skier but eventually my knees and back couldn't take it any more. Now a days I am that Dad snowboarding behind his kids doing big curves in the snow.

Have about 8 trips planned this winter. Everyone of them a school field trip to a local mountain for my kids school. Someday I am going to make it out west again. Spent a glorious weekend almost two decades ago in Steamboat Springs.

Wife and I have been practicing snowboarding for the last two winters. We've only been up once this year but we're both a hell of a lot better this year. She has some killer work perks, renting all the gear (board, boots, bindings) is only $2. Plus no lift ticket costs

Snowboarder here. Raised Skier but eventually my knees and back couldn't take it any more. Now a days I am that Dad snowboarding behind his kids doing big curves in the snow.

Hahaha that hits home for me. I've been skiing since I was a kid, now in my 40's the knees aren't seeming to keep up with what the rest of the body wants to do. I pretty much only carve nice wide turns behind my kids as well. How was the transition from skiing to boarding? I tried a rented board once several years ago, ate shit for 30 minutes, turned it in and went back to my truck for my skis.

Hahaha that hits home for me. I've been skiing since I was a kid, now in my 40's the knees aren't seeming to keep up with what the rest of the body wants to do. I pretty much only carve nice wide turns behind my kids as well. How was the transition from skiing to boarding? I tried a rented board once several years ago, ate shit for 30 minutes, turned it in and went back to my truck for my skis.

Honestly I picked it up really quick. I did get lucky. Wife and I had a ski package that included three days of tickets, rentals, lessons. So I took board lessons while she had ski lessons by the second day it was me and six instructors boarding Mt Stratton. Had a blast. Physical muscle memory stuff has always been easier for me to pick up then pure mental stuff.

Honestly best way to do it is take a bunch of lessons at the end of year. To me that made potatoe snow that sucks to ski in is a blast on a board.

I skied for about 15 years then decided to take up snowboarding in the early 90s when not all of the resorts in the Tahoe/Truckee area allowed them. It was easier on my knees and I've been doing ever since. I just haven't gone much since my youngest started college. Always went with my girls and my wife doesn't ride. We had a similar deal through my daughter's school, they had 6 days each winter where they closed the campus and you had a choice of skiing at Schweitzer Mountain or indoor sports at the local YMCA. We always went to Schweitzer. Good times!😊

I skied for about 15 years then decided to take up snowboarding in the early 90s when not all of the resorts in the Tahoe/Truckee area allowed them. It was easier on my knees and I've been doing ever since. I just haven't gone much since my youngest started college. Always went with my girls and my wife doesn't ride. We had a similar deal through my daughter's school, they had 6 days each winter where they closed the campus and you had a choice of skiing at Schweitzer Mountain or indoor sports at the local YMCA. We always went to Schweitzer. Good times!😊

Awesome. My kids school does something along that line. We have six days of at a local small ski slope. Kids take lessons in the morning then free ski in afternoon

Downhill Ski here on the east coast, usual places, Killington, Mt. Snow, Stratton, Piko and in Pa, MA and NH. Skied Alta in UT once. I really grew up cross country skiing and as I get older will do more of that.

Downhill Ski here on the east coast, usual places, Killington, Mt. Snow, Stratton, Piko and in Pa, MA and NH. Skied Alta in UT once. I really grew up cross country skiing and as I get older will do more of that.
Been to just about all of those resorts you mentioned. I grew up in NY and snowboarded my whole life on the east coast ice, lol. Once you can ride that, you can ride anywhere.

Snowboarder since the early 70's (I still have my Snurfer, plus my original wooden Burton) and then skiing/tele since the mid-80's. I pretty much board only now because it's just too much crap to haul around. It has been a crap season so far here, but it looks like things will improve soon.

Skier here. Went to Powder Mountain, UT today and it was one of the best days I've ever had. Been skiing since I was a kid all over the place, and I'd have to say that hands down this mountain is the best I've ever been on. Largest resort by skiable acres in N America. If you're ever in Utah do yourself a favor and pass on Park City, Solitude, Deer Valley, or any of the others. Powder Mountain is where it's at. I was telling myself all day that I can't believe I live here.

View attachment 131209
Shhhh.... don't tell anyone. We skip everything but Snowbasin and PM. I think the drive up to PM is enough to turn most people off.

Skier here! Parents brought me when I was younger and I've always have enjoyed it since those early days. Having lived on the East Coast my whole life I've been to almost all of the big mountains over here... Killington, Mt. Snow, Stratton, Bretton Woods, Smuggler's Notch to name a few. My favorite mountain is Jay Peak, Vermont as I skied on that mountain growing up, my aunt had a house up there a few miles from the mountain so some of my best memories growing up were taking the trip up to Vermont and spending a few days at the mountain. Skiing gear can definitely be expensive though so owning a Jeep AND being a skier can really make my wallet hurt!