Any suggestions on what type of oil to use on a 97 Wrangler with 205k miles?

Jerry called Pennzoil a year or two ago and had asked them about it if I recall correctly it was Jerry. they told him there was a difference and even gave the different SKU#'s ...

well damn I guess that kills that then !
Jerry called Pennzoil a year or two ago and had asked them about it if I recall correctly it was Jerry. they told him there was a difference and even gave the different SKU#'s ...

@Jerry Bransford ? Additional information? I was informed that the high mileage oils have synthetic additives that are the properties that help our seals and gaskets last longer. I going by information from an oil rep at a car event at least 5 years ago(time?)I’ve been running this high mileage product since with excellent results.

@Jerry Bransford ? Additional information? I was informed that the high mileage oils have synthetic additives that are the properties that help our seals and gaskets last longer. I going by information from an oil rep at a car event at least 5 years ago(time?)I’ve been running this high mileage product since with excellent results.

I believe it was, but went back and looked for that thread but couldn't find it. maybe he'll jump in and clarify this....

Reactions: Weasellee
I have been on a few Law Enforcement / 2A sites and there is no comparison to what this community has offered me by way of advice on what to do with my MidLife Crisis ride (as my wife calls it). What a Blessing you all have provided to someone who will now make fewer mistakes and save money in the process.

Reactions: macleanflood
Have you ever heard of using diesel oil

The reason some diesel oil fits the bill is it is non synthetic and close to the right weight -

People began using/recommending diesel oil back when the gov mandated ZDDP level to be dropped, and some still recommend it because they don't know what they're talking about. For a few years, oil for diesel engines was exempt from the new mandates and maintained ZDDP levels in the 1200-1600 range, which is what old flat tappet engines were designed with. Diesel oil today has a lower ZDDP level, similar to a gas oil, but oil formulated for a diesel engine has more calcium (detergent), too much for a gas engine, and not the proper blend of antifoaming agents for the RPMs that a gas engine typically sees, which is often double that of a diesel engine.

Simply put, oil blended for a gas engine should be used in a gas engine. Oil blended for a diesel engine should be used in a diesel engine.

People began using/recommending diesel oil back when the gov mandated ZDDP level to be dropped, and some still recommend it because they don't know what they're talking about. For a few years, oil for diesel engines was exempt from the new mandates and maintained ZDDP levels in the 1200-1600 range, which is what old flat tappet engines were designed with. Diesel oil today has a lower ZDDP level, similar to a gas oil, but oil formulated for a diesel engine has more calcium (detergent), too much for a gas engine, and not the proper blend of antifoaming agents for the RPMs that a gas engine typically sees, which is often double that of a diesel engine.

Simply put, oil blended for a gas engine should be used in a gas engine. Oil blended for a diesel engine should be used in a diesel engine.

That is good to know.

Reactions: BlueC
Valvoline is my #2 go to. I no longer have any local auto parts stores that stock non synthetic motor oil.
I typically order through Home Depot and pick up in store.

Most of the "conventional" oils now are basically synthetic blends. I remember back when I was using regular ol' Pennzoil 10w30 in the yellow bottle the folks at BITOG website said it was essentially a synthetic blend, and that was a few years ago back when I had an XJ.

Many use diesel oil now (HDEO) in power equipment as it holds up well. Many diesel oils also now carry a gasoline rating like API SN, so they are perfectly fine to use in a gas engine. The only thing that might happen is a slight mpg hit.

The main reason like you said that people recommended them was the higher ZDDP because the 4.0L has a flat tappet cam. What many people incorrectly assumed is that the 4.0L actually needed more ZDDP. Unless you are breaking in a new camshaft or running an aggressive cam, the engine doesn't need high ZDDP. The stock 4.0L valve spring pressures are very low, so it isn't needed. (y)

Any suggestions on what type of oil to use on a 97 Wrangler with 205k miles?​

Motor oil works best, but I use the recommended 710 fluid. :unsure:
710 (2017_11_20 00_38_12 UTC).jpg