Any tips on driving my Jeep from from NY to OR?

Reidminer

TJ Enthusiast
Hi y’all, so I’m moving from Central NY to Oregon on august 21st. My only vehicle, my DD and fun toy is what I’ll be driving the 2900ish miles with over about 8-9 days. While I know it’s not ideal to be driving a lifted TJ across the country….you do what ya can with what ya got right? Lol.

Anyway, I know my TJ will do fine on the highway, I drove it home from NC when I bought it, for 11hrs straight. I’m just wanting to make sure I get all the little things I may not think of to do. I’m getting new tires this week as the current set is a bit dry rotted, 25% tread, and one has a plug in it. I’ll be doing an oil change before I go and since it’s got a new radiator I’ll just make sure that’s topped off as well as washer fluid. Diff oil should be good as they’ve been regeared in the past 5 years so it’s not stock grease in there. Brakes are in good condition.

Anything else I should specifically do or check on my jeep before going? Also, any tips on things to see not too far off the general I-80 route across the country? Any driving tips, sections to avoid, etc, I’d love all the help I can get!

Reactions: Ephry73
When you get to Wyoming, get off 80 and cut up north west. The 2 lane roads will be a nice break for you and the Jeep, and the scenery is a hell of a lot better. Really, way way better.
Go thru any of the following:
Lander, RIverton, Dubois, Grand Teton, Pinedale, Sheridan, Cody, Star Valley area, Yellowstone, Thermopolis, etc......

When you get to Wyoming, get off 80 and cut up north west. The 2 lane roads will be a nice break for you and the Jeep, and the scenery is a hell of a lot better. Really, way way better.
Go thru any of the following:
Lander, RIverton, Dubois, Grand Teton, Pinedale, Sheridan, Cody, Star Valley, etc......
Good to know! How far out of the way/how much more would that add on time wise? I’m all for more scenic routes and breaking up the drive a bit, and plan to stop at a handful of state parks and such along the way but don’t want to be adding on 400+ miles ya know?

Google map that shit, it'll probably take you just a little longer but the trip is 90% of the fun. If you aren't in love with the west by the time you get to Idaho, then you'll never be.
And after running I-80 thru Nebraska to Cheyenne you'll be ready for a scenic break and a lower speed limit with less semi trucks blowing by you.

My recommendation is to take HWY 30 north out of Laramie thru Medicine Bow (stop at the Virginian) to Casper, take HWY 20/26 to Riverton. Lander is worth a peek if you want to dip south a bit (HWY 789/287). Then Dubois and the Tetons. Take HWY 191/89 thru Jackson to Alpine, then into Idaho Falls. Then you're at I-15 and can go high speed from there or do more scenic routes.

Google map that shit, it'll probably take you just a little longer but the trip is 90% of the fun. If you aren't in love with the west by the time you get to Idaho, then you'll never be.
And after running I-80 thru Nebraska to Cheyenne you'll be ready for a scenic break and a lower speed limit with less semi trucks blowing by you.

My recommendation is to take HWY 30 north out of Laramie thru Medicine Bow (stop at the Virginian) to Casper, take HWY 20/26 to Riverton. Lander is worth a peek if you want to dip south a bit (HWY 789/287). Then Dubois and the Tetons. Take HWY 191/89 thru Jackson to Alpine, then into Idaho Falls. Then you're at I-15 and can go high speed from there or do more scenic routes.
Haha good point. Awesome though, I really appreciate the tips. I’ll plot those out and see what I’ll want to do. I’m definitely not opposed to some non highway speeds to break up the trip. As much as I’ve seen of the west, two trips to cali and all the research I can do, I think I’ll be right at home in the west/west coast.

You really will be ready for a break by Cheyenne. I can say that 80 takes you thru the windiest part of Wy, while simultaneously skirting most of the scenic areas. Not going to be fun dealing with a 30+ MPH crosswind and/or headwind with semis flying by at 85. Hell, I avoid it in my 2013 Tahoe unless I'm in a hurry.

Reactions: Reidminer
Dude. You're the man. Me & a pal drove a YJ from DC down to the Baja Peninsula & back when we were young with no responsibilities. We set out all wide-eyed with nothing but lollipops raining from the sky, when we returned we were dead-eyed war survivors. God bless. Next time I move the TJ is going to be on a car carrier, mine or a transport company's.

Keep a thread with accounts of your travels, I really want to keep up with your trip. I mean it.

You really will be ready for a break by Cheyenne. I can say that 80 takes you thru the windiest part of Wy, while simultaneously skirting most of the scenic areas. Not going to be fun dealing with a 30+ MPH crosswind and/or headwind with semis flying by at 85. Hell, I avoid it in my 2013 Tahoe unless I'm in a hurry.
The wind in that part of the country is nuts. I've towed a camper through there twice with a well-laden truck and it was hairy. Fuckin wind never stops, neither do the hills. Felt like I was gaining altitude the whole day. Always made me wonder why people stopped to live there. I guess no one will bother you there....

Last edited:
Notify your CC company your traveling dates.

Info. I forgot to notify my CC while traveling out of my home state and while in NV at a gas stop CC was denied which resulted in a call to resolve the issue.

The wind in that part of the country is nuts. I've towed a camper through there twice with a well-laden truck and it was hairy. Fuckin wind never stops, neither do the hills. Felt like I was gaining altitude the whole day. Always made me wonder why people stopped to live there. I guess no one will bother you there....
It’s a no shitter thru that 80 route. 25 up to Casper can be a bitch too. But so much of the rest of the state is amazing once you get off the interstates.
….wait, I mean it really sucks. Don’t ever go there.

B3854878-2113-48F9-9105-587F80A02D64.jpeg

E26C0610-418A-43EE-8D15-73CBE118A845.jpeg

Last edited:
If you do end up taking highway 30 north out of Laramie, get in and out of Rock River as fast as possible. Got stranded there in a snowstorm for about 15 hours a couple years ago JFC it was the longest 15 hours of my life. If you stick to I80 the Ames monument between Cheyenne and Laramie is a good 5 minute detour.

Hi y’all, so I’m moving from Central NY to Oregon on august 21st. My only vehicle, my DD and fun toy is what I’ll be driving the 2900ish miles with over about 8-9 days. While I know it’s not ideal to be driving a lifted TJ across the country….you do what ya can with what ya got right? Lol.

Anyway, I know my TJ will do fine on the highway, I drove it home from NC when I bought it, for 11hrs straight. I’m just wanting to make sure I get all the little things I may not think of to do. I’m getting new tires this week as the current set is a bit dry rotted, 25% tread, and one has a plug in it. I’ll be doing an oil change before I go and since it’s got a new radiator I’ll just make sure that’s topped off as well as washer fluid. Diff oil should be good as they’ve been regeared in the past 5 years so it’s not stock grease in there. Brakes are in good condition.

Anything else I should specifically do or check on my jeep before going? Also, any tips on things to see not too far off the general I-80 route across the country? Any driving tips, sections to avoid, etc, I’d love all the help I can get!
Made the same trip NJ to OR in my 99 SE towing a Harley, where are you headed to in OR for travel options.

I did the new tire swap
Check front and rear diffs
Inspect driveline U-joints
Stock up on bug juice for the washer

Made the same trip NJ to OR in my 99 SE towing a Harley, where are you headed to in OR for travel options.

I did the new tire swap
Check front and rear diffs
Inspect driveline U-joints
Stock up on bug juice for the washer

Jim, you are the man.

Miss you bud. We are leaving for a 2k journey ourselves. Idaho, Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, Nebraska, then finally Missouri.