Any tips on driving my Jeep from from NY to OR?

Dude. You're the man. Me & a pal drove a YJ from DC down to the Baja Peninsula & back when we were young with no responsibilities. We set out all wide-eyed with nothing but lollipops raining from the sky, when we returned we were dead-eyed war survivors. God bless. Next time I move the TJ is going to be on a car carrier, mine or a transport company's.

Keep a thread with accounts of your travels, I really want to keep up with your trip. I mean it.
I bet you have some stories from that road trip.

What is it with people worrying if Jeep can make it through the road trip?
I think this is a 4th or 5th post i have seen on this forum.
My friends are no different, everyone thinks my Jeep will fall apart as soon as i leave limits of the city. Literally everyone develops "deer eyes starring at headlights" syndrome soon as they hear when i am going.

@Reidminer
As others have stated, right lane at 65mph. You will have a peaceful and joyful ride from A to B.
Get a bonus points card, and sign up with fuel saving apps on your phone.
I have covered everything on the East side of US from Ohio to Texas in my Jeep. If roundtrip to Washington state did not cost $1000 in fuel, id grab my travel bag right now and be on the road without any worries.

Be safe on your trip

Last edited:
do what you can to bypass Gary Indiana on I80/94 unless you want to sit in 5 lanes wide of stop and go traffic full of semi trucks and assholes that like to speed zip in and out of stopped traffic.

Reactions: Ron505
Before you get to Salt Lake City, take a break in Park City, UT. The Main street section has a lot going on.

I purchased my Jeep in Illinois and drove it back to California (don't hold that CA thing against me..). I brought my daughter with me and had a great time. Yes, definitely take some 2 lane detours off the interstate whenever you can. We took the 70 back and really enjoyed a two-lane along the Missouri river, also a stop in Moab. And when there no decent detours, find a few tourist traps! We did and it was fun.

World's largest boot spur:
20200419_111305.jpg

Some giant Czech Egg

20200419_133117.jpg

And we couldn't miss the world's largest easel!

20200419_160748.jpg

Those three attractions were from Kansas City to Denver. Really helped break up a boring stretch of flat road.

This is near Moab. Picked up a hard top in Denver. Which reminds me, if you're running a soft top, make sure it is in good condition. That wind will have it's way with it.

20200421_174220.jpg

Take some extra time and enjoy the trip.

Make sure you haven’t had any of the bolts holding either the intake or exhaust manifold come loose or fall out. I took an 850 mile road trip recently and realized after we got back that 3 of the 4 bolts holding the intake on were gone and the 4th was ready to fall out. Never had any reason to suspect something was wrong until after we got back the Jeep would rev up a little a start up then came back down to idle, easy fix but not something I would look for with only 70,000 miles. I will be checking them as part of regular maintenance from now on.

I would pre trip your jeep. Check all fluids and hoses an the belt. If your doing I-80 thru Nebraska I am sorry..Give me a shout going thru Lincoln if you need a break..

Reactions: Reidminer
You really will be ready for a break by Cheyenne. I can say that 80 takes you thru the windiest part of Wy, while simultaneously skirting most of the scenic areas. Not going to be fun dealing with a 30+ MPH crosswind and/or headwind with semis flying by at 85. Hell, I avoid it in my 2013 Tahoe unless I'm in a hurry.
Okay so before or by cheyenne get off I-80 at take some two lane roads like you suggested? Yeah that’s the exact thing I’m dreading most I think, is just the wild drivers and giant semis blowing by lol.

Dude. You're the man. Me & a pal drove a YJ from DC down to the Baja Peninsula & back when we were young with no responsibilities. We set out all wide-eyed with nothing but lollipops raining from the sky, when we returned we were dead-eyed war survivors. God bless. Next time I move the TJ is going to be on a car carrier, mine or a transport company's.

Keep a thread with accounts of your travels, I really want to keep up with your trip. I mean it.
Oh wow hahah. Sounds like one hell of a trip. But definitely, will do!! I’ll make a thread on here when I leave and update it as I go!

Notify your CC company your traveling dates.

Info. I forgot to notify my CC while traveling out of my home state and while in NV at a gas stop CC was denied which resulted in a call to resolve the issue.
Oof yeah good idea, forgot about that. I’ll do that this week

I would pre trip your jeep. Check all fluids and hoses an the belt. If your doing I-80 thru Nebraska I am sorry..Give me a shout going thru Lincoln if you need a break..
I believe I will be doing I-80 all the way through Nebraska. And yeah I’m not looking forward to those parts of the trip but it’s gotta be done lol

Before you get to Salt Lake City, take a break in Park City, UT. The Main street section has a lot going on.

I purchased my Jeep in Illinois and drove it back to California (don't hold that CA thing against me..). I brought my daughter with me and had a great time. Yes, definitely take some 2 lane detours off the interstate whenever you can. We took the 70 back and really enjoyed a two-lane along the Missouri river, also a stop in Moab. And when there no decent detours, find a few tourist traps! We did and it was fun.

World's largest boot spur:
View attachment 266607

Some giant Czech Egg

View attachment 266608

And we couldn't miss the world's largest easel!

View attachment 266609

Those three attractions were from Kansas City to Denver. Really helped break up a boring stretch of flat road.

This is near Moab. Picked up a hard top in Denver. Which reminds me, if you're running a soft top, make sure it is in good condition. That wind will have it's way with it.

View attachment 266610

Take some extra time and enjoy the trip.
Thanks for the reply and info! I’ll mark those down and see what’ll work for me. Love the LJ by the way! And I’ve got a hard and soft top but will be seeking my hard top and keeping my soft top, it’s in great condition

Get off that I-80 sooner than later. After Iowa head to the I-90, South Dakota, then the fun starts. The Black Hills and Mount Rushmore on to Devil’s Tower. Head through Gillette and Sheridan cross the Big Horn’s, your first taste of real mountains, to Cody.
Now, options! Through Yellowstone, straight in or head to the north entrance at Cooke City. Head to Grand Teton or West Yellowstone, either way is fantastic. Then Crater’s of The Moon and off toward Boise and where ever in Oregon. Happy Travels!

Okay so before or by cheyenne get off I-80 at take some two lane roads like you suggested? Yeah that’s the exact thing I’m dreading most I think, is just the wild drivers and giant semis blowing by lol.
That route I suggested would work. Hop off after (west of) Cheyenne, in Laramie.
Kid Mechanic has an interesting route idea too.
Just start looking at a map, you'll find a fun route that gets you there.
Back in the 90's, when I was in the Navy, I drove my 68 C10 coast to coast across the US a couple of times. The fun routes were much better than the interstate. Oh the paper map days.....

Reactions: Reidminer
Get off that I-80 sooner than later. After Iowa head to the I-90, South Dakota, then the fun starts. The Black Hills and Mount Rushmore on to Devil’s Tower. Head through Gillette and Sheridan cross the Big Horn’s, your first taste of real mountains, to Cody.
Now, options! Through Yellowstone, straight in or head to the north entrance at Cooke City. Head to Grand Teton or West Yellowstone, either way is fantastic. Then Crater’s of The Moon and off toward Boise and where ever in Oregon. Happy Travels!
Awesome, I appreciate the suggestions!! I’ll be going home after work today to plot them out and see what I’ll want to do. The two lane roads are sounding like the much better option

That route I suggested would work. Hop off after (west of) Cheyenne, in Laramie.
Kid Mechanic has an interesting route idea too.
Just start looking at a map, you'll find a fun route that gets you there.
Back in the 90's, when I was in the Navy, I drove my 68 C10 coast to coast across the US a couple of times. The fun routes were much better than the interstate. Oh the paper map days.....
I appreciate it! Now I just gotta plot all these suggestions out and see what I wanna do!

Made the Oregon to Ohio round trip 3 times back in the late 70’s. Hate Route 80 through Wyoming with a passion. Got caught speeding twice and had to send payment to magistrate in Elk Mountain both times. Tried passing every semi I saw, and there was a bunch of them running 80 mph.

Made the Oregon to Ohio round trip 3 times back in the late 70’s. Hate Route 80 through Wyoming with a passion. Got caught speeding twice and had to send payment to magistrate in Elk Mountain both times. Tried passing every semi I saw, and there was a bunch of them running 80 mph.
Yeah the consensus here seems to be avoid route 80 through Wyoming haha. Geez if they’re going 80 they’ll all be passing me hahah

I am jealous because I would love to take that trip in my TJ only this time on all main highways “except” the interstate.
Sounds like you've done the drive before, all interstate? I'm doing the research now on all the suggestions people had here, as I'm curious how much longer it'll be time and distance wise if I did do more rural highways not the interstate.