Any tips or suggestions for replacing center console lock?

jdgmbi1

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
The plastic that latches the lock to my center console is broken, and the lid won't latch. The lid itself is fine. Other than that, the unit is in great shape. I really can't see a way to Mcgyver it, but not sure? I have been keeping my eye out for used ones, but they all seem to be in rough shape and cost a small fortune (supply and demand-I get it).

Any alternatives, or fix suggestions.

Thank you.

I couldn't find the thread on the console issue I have (probably operator error), but this is the part that is broken on my console.
Thanks

20210126_172707.jpg

20210126_172713.jpg

If it were mine, I’d try and find a piece of plastic from something random, cut it to fit and epoxy it into place. You could even epoxy a small price on the under side to keep the lid from having excess slop.

Reactions: pagrey
Similar to what @ChadRay13 said I'd cut a piece of aluminum or plastic in a small semi-circle. I'd use a dremel with a cutoff wheel to cut on the green line so the insert fits in a slot when you epoxy it in place. I'd cut the slot in the side of the recess, not through the damaged part if that makes sense. That way the new piece is wedged in place as well as bonded. If you wanted to go crazy you could even cut out the entire old section and put a new flat piece all the way across at the same height. Depends on how crafty you are.

console.jpg

Reactions: Moglocker
Similar to what @ChadRay13 said I'd cut a piece of aluminum or plastic in a small semi-circle. I'd use a dremel with a cutoff wheel to cut on the green line so the insert fits in a slot when you epoxy it in place. I'd cut the slot in the side of the recess, not through the damaged part if that makes sense. That way the new piece is wedged in place as well as bonded. If you wanted to go crazy you could even cut out the entire old section and put a new flat piece all the way across at the same height. Depends on how crafty you are.

View attachment 333902
Adding the slots a good add-in I didn’t think off. Keep the piece from pulling up.

Reactions: pagrey
Would someone mind posting a pic of what it looks like not-broken? I’m looking at the lock and my broken part of the console and for some reason I cannot make sense of how it works.
Thanks!

Ahhh I’m just seeing now that there’s that little piece on my lock cylinder missing.
Never even saw that in the second pic on #5… so that would be my issue.
My bad *facepalm*

Guess that means I just need to replace my lock cylinder unless there’s some easy DIY fix for that.

I drenched and cleaned mine in WD-40 Silicone to clean it because it was stuck (wouldn’t push in to release). I hope I don’t my lose latching function due to being too clean now. Lol

Reactions: James9100
Get a small piece of welding rod, 5/16- or 1/4'' , about 1.5 '' long (trim to fit). Heat it with a propane torch while holding it with a pair of needle nose pliers'. When ready melt it into the plastic from the underside and enforce it with epoxy. Just be careful you don't push it all the way through the plastic..