How To Take Apart Center Console Lock

Kyle_W

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Here is a write up on how to disassemble your TJ center console lock; I must say in advance that these are not designed very well. So if you get frustrated and want to throw the lock across the room, you are not alone.

And, in case you need an entire new lock assembly (like I did), I bought a brand new one off of eBay for $33. Most of the ones I saw however went more for $40 to $50.

Instructions:
  1. Remove the lock assembly from your center console lid by pressing on the tabs on the side of the lock, and pulling it out.
  2. Remove the center lock out of the entire assembly: press on the circled tab with a slotted screwdriver or anything flat, and then pull the center lock out of the assembly (hold onto the bottom slide while you do this, because it is under spring load and will fly out if you aren't careful.
    13c7b907eb9b215a75bdd2c828187acc.jpg
  3. With your key inserted into the lock, in the unlocked position (the key will be in-line to the tiny hole), use a strong needle to press into that tiny hole, holding down the retaining pin. While it is held down, turn the key counter-clockwise until it turns a full 180 degrees. Then, the actual lock itself will come out of the center piece.
  4. For re-assembly: put the lock itself into the center piece, and turn it 180 degrees clockwise until it clicks into place.

d57ead8f72687b8afc3b810a95108f6c.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool and much appreciated! Why did you have to take yours apart? To swap out a new lock cylinder I suppose?

Reactions: Kyle_W
Very cool and much appreciated! Why did you have to take yours apart? To swap out a new lock cylinder I suppose?

My original lock "plunger" that pushed that slide in and out, wouldn't work properly and let me open my console at all! So finally I got around to ordering a new one and replacing the whole thing!

But ya'll are welcome!

Reactions: Chris
Over two years since you posted this and it’s still helpful.
Thanks because I would have ended up using a hammer without the help. Now I can finally open my console without a fight.

Thanks for this @Kyle_W. My lock wasn’t working so following these instructions I pulled out a crap load of sand and grit. I lubed it with graphite powder and it is good as new.

I just purchased a center console for my 99 SE and the seller obviously did not include the key to it. Is there a way to remove it without the key or am I just going to have to take it to a locksmith?

I just purchased a center console for my 99 SE and the seller obviously did not include the key to it. Is there a way to remove it without the key or am I just going to have to take it to a locksmith?
I just pulled the lock cylinder out of mine today and I can say that having the key is helpful to spin the cylinder and gives the needed leverage to make it all happen. With that said, now that I have a better understanding of its workings I would say that if you press the tab (be careful of the springs) and pop it up a bit and then press a paper clip in the hole to release the metal cylinder you MAY be able to rotate the cylinder to remove it by inserting a small screwdriver instead of a key. The paper clip depresses a spring loaded clip that once depressed allows the cylinder to be able to be rotated,

i successfully replaced my malfunctioning latch with a new one today by removing the cylinder from the old one and installing it into the new one. This is the latch I purchased https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-5531...d=link&campid=5337789113&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
EDIT - never mind, I had a buddy take a look at it and he was able to get it out of the sleeve. Saved me $25 because I was about to buy a whole new assembly lol.

I'm wondering if anyone can give me some advice on this. For some reason I'm having a hell of a time getting the cylinder out of the little plastic sleeve it's in.

I'm stuck on step three. I have a punch set, using the smallest punch I have I can insert it into the little hole and I can feel I'm depressing the little tab. But the cylinder will not move at all. I even tried holding it with a pair of vice grips to get better leverage on it. With the key in the cylinder, and holding the tab through the hole with the punch, this thing doesn't move at all.

Can anyone give me some tips? Am I missing something? I've followed these directions to the tee but I'm getting nowhere. I just tried doing this on the older style 98 console (the cylinder is the same part number, just different housing) and had no problems removing it from its metal sleeve. Are these plastic ones for the later year consoles really that much harder to do? I attached a pic so to better see what I mean by the plastic sleeve holding in the cylinder.

PXL_20210416_043156549.MP.jpg

Last edited:
EDIT - never mind, I had a buddy take a look at it and he was able to get it out of the sleeve. Saved me $25 because I was about to buy a whole new assembly lol.

I'm wondering if anyone can give me some advice on this. For some reason I'm having a hell of a time getting the cylinder out of the little plastic sleeve it's in.

I'm stuck on step three. I have a punch set, using the smallest punch I have I can insert it into the little hole and I can feel I'm depressing the little tab. But the cylinder will not move at all. I even tried holding it with a pair of vice grips to get better leverage on it. With the key in the cylinder, and holding the tab through the hole with the punch, this thing doesn't move at all.

Can anyone give me some tips? Am I missing something? I've followed these directions to the tee but I'm getting nowhere. I just tried doing this on the older style 98 console (the cylinder is the same part number, just different housing) and had no problems removing it from its metal sleeve. Are these plastic ones for the later year consoles really that much harder to do? I attached a pic so to better see what I mean by the plastic sleeve holding in the cylinder.

View attachment 244173

dunno if you figured this out yet but since I just went thru it with mine I'll chime in. The key needs to be in the unlocked position, which it appears yours is since the slot is inline with the little hole. You should be able to see the little button inside of the hole. With a small pick you should see it press in. With a stronger pick, you should be able to press the pin in, while at the same time turn the key slot counter-clockwise. It turns about 90 degrees and stops. Once you get it to this point, the lock cylinder will pull out. You may need to push/pull on the cylinder a bit as it might be jammed in the plastic. Just looking at the pic, it looks like its a lot higher in the sleeve than it normally is so it may have been pulled up before turning it counter-clockwise and is now jammed in the plastic sleeve.

Hope this helps