Arizona Any Un-Maintained Public Roads Around Sedona?

Ron505

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
My wife and I, brother and his wife will be staying in Sedona 3/5-3/12, and we are renting a JT with a small lift, wench, wheels and tires. Due to the Turo policies, I'm unsure if there is any fun for us to be had off of the pavement out there. Back here in Ohio, some of the most fun we have are on old, unmaintained township roads. They can be very rough, and sometimes impassable. I'm not looking to beat or scratch up the rental, but we would certainly enjoy crawling around the beautiful scenery somewhere if anyone has any suggestions.

Any helpful info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Ron

The Gladiator should be able to handle any of the off road trails around Sedona. Check out outlaw, diamond back, cliff hanger, and broken arrow. Schnebly Hill is insanely bumpy, but offers one of the best sunsets

Reactions: Ron505
The Gladiator should be able to handle any of the off road trails around Sedona. Check out outlaw, diamond back, cliff hanger, and broken arrow. Schnebly Hill is insanely bumpy, but offers one of the best sunsets
So the Turo Rental agreement specifically mentions that there will be absolutely no off road driving. I'm just going to assume that most have GPS trackers on them, thus the reason I was asking about actual public roadways. Do you know if these are considered public roadways?

So the Turo Rental agreement specifically mentions that there will be absolutely no off road driving. I'm just going to assume that most have GPS trackers on them, thus the reason I was asking about actual public roadways. Do you know if these are considered public roadways?
Kmason rents Jeeps in Sedona for what you’re wanting to do. Just sayin’

Kmason rents Jeeps in Sedona for what you’re wanting to do. Just sayin’
Yes, I spoke to him previously. We are on a bit of a tight budget this week, but may be able to splurge one day if he has any Jeeps available. I know this is the busy season, and probably won't have one.

Just checked the maps. Looks like these are good to go. Thank you very much @kmas0n !!!

Thanks! Definitely open to "must eats" too!
Mariposa I thought was pretty overrated, but the views were pretty. Their burger joint just outside of Sedona called “butterfly burger” I thought was better. Sedona is like a southwestern Gatlinburg.

Mariposa I thought was pretty overrated, but the views were pretty. Their burger joint just outside of Sedona called “butterfly burger” I thought was better. Sedona is like a southwestern Gatlinburg.
Oh no!!!! We go to the Smokies every year, and do everything possible to avoid Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge. I'm worried now. Since we're 3 hours behind, we'll be up early, and home early. So maybe we can miss some of the humans? lol

Oh no!!!! We go to the Smokies every year, and do everything possible to avoid Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge. I'm worried now. Since we're 3 hours behind, we'll be up early, and home early. So maybe we can miss some of the humans? lol
Lol not likely. It’s a pretty small town. It’s beautiful, but yeah that’s the vibe I got.

Schnebly might still be closed for the winter past Merry Go Round, but you would probably know better than me.

Skeleton Bones is another one of heard of though I don’t know anything about it. House mountain is fun as well but it’s a little outside of Sedona.

Skeleton bones isn't really a trail, is just a power line maintenance road that goes over 3 gnarly Rock mountains. It's pretty fun and does require a capable vehicle. After the monsoons last year it bumped up a bit in difficulty.

House mountain is down near Cornville. Beautiful views from the top of a extinct shield volcano. Easy but takes about 4 hours