Anybody else feel like these TJs cost way more than they're worth?

I bought mine for 4500 bucks. And put 24 grand into it. It's my dream car now and I'll drive it until I kick the bucket. Still cheaper than a bloody Toyota...

Just made this post out of frustration. I'm about 22k into a 2002 tj X and it's looking like a transmission is now being needed.

Reactions: JMT
What Clint said.

HellNo.gif

Well first of all just about everything with wheels is worth less than you pay or is eventually.

And I feel your frustration sometimes every time you turn around something needs done to one of these ...

You know the truth is none of us really love everything about everything in life- But we have to love some part of things enough to make it worth what we go through to have them.

For example most pro musicians hate about 97% of what they do- travelling, rehearsing, meet and greets, living out of a suitcase....

They grin and bear it to get on stage and hear the applause for
what they created. Chris Stapleton said there is no drug that will do that.

This is true with your marriage, your job, etc.

I make sure I get enough out of mine - playing with it, buddy time in the shop, wheeling, summer night rides.... it makes it work for me. But there are times it makes me want to push it off a cliff.

Anybody else feel like these TJs cost may more than theyre worth?

If you feel that way, don't buy one. It really is that simple. They are more costly because a lot of people value them highly, and are willing to pay market. i.e., TJ's are worth exactly what people are willing to pay.

What have you got against free markets, OP?

Last edited:
Reactions: srimes
Well first of all just about everything with wheels is worth less than you pay or is eventually.

And I feel your frustration sometimes every time you turn around something needs done to one of these ...

You know the truth is none of us really love everything about everything in life- But we have to love some part of things enough to make it worth what we go through to have them.

For example most pro musicians hate about 97% of what they do- travelling, rehearsing, meet and greets, living out of a suitcase....

They grin and bear it to get on stage and hear the applause for
what they created. Chris Stapleton said there is no drug that will do that.

This is true with your marriage, your job, etc.

I make sure I get enough out of mine - playing with it, buddy time in the shop, wheeling, summer night rides.... it makes it work for me. But there are times it makes me want to push it off a cliff.

Well said Andy.

Just made this post out of frustration. I'm about 22k into a 2002 tj X and it's looking like a transmission is now being needed.

Can you break down how you spent 22k? Maybe more frustrated with repairs it sounds like?

I think there are a few issues unique to Jeeps (maybe pickup trucks too).

1. Jeep brand is known to have crap reliability to begin with

2. Jeeps that are used offroad are going to have boatloads more trouble than a car that is strictly on the pavement

3. A lot of DIY repair jobs from owners that sort of know what they are doing but miss important details

4. Aftermarket mods of questionable quality installed by the DIYers

Someone who buys a Jeep and only drives on the street, only does repairs and maintenance with OEM parts from a licensed mechanic, and has no mods...that would be quite a different experience

Reactions: glowell222
Supply isn’t just limited - it’s falling. So, to maintain prices, demand has to fall, too. Is it falling?

I think that demand will be growing as the supply dwindles. Some of us are losing our Jeeps due to accidents, corrosion, or just not being able to get needed parts, and that last reason is only going to get worse. Car manufacturers, just like anybody who sells things, want you to buy a new one as often as possible, so they aren't going to keep making new parts for old vehicles. We're already seeing that with radiators and sensors, just to name two.
I also think that as more people get older, they, like us, would rather have a simpler vehicle to own. How often do we here mention how much we miss the simplicity of crank windows, two knob radios, standard transmissions, and cloth seats. Not to mention that new car prices, especially new Jeeps, are continuing to rise to well over $100,000. I for damn sure can't afford that, and I don't think that the average blue collar family can either.
Unless SOMETHING major changes in the auto infrastructure, demand for our Jeeps is only going to increase.

Reactions: sab
Anybody else feel like these TJs cost may more than theyre worth?

Which TJs are you speaking of?

If you are talking about one with modifications that cannot be put back to stock and are knucklehead mods and have been rode hard and put up to rust, not really. One that is stock or capable of reverting to stock with decent miles and not beat? Hecking yes.

Last edited:
Let me put it like this: my '98 Sahara has a lot of miles. I drive it every day. I've had to do only one serious fix over the past 26 years plus all the normal maintenance and repairs.

A new Sahara with roughly the same build config (and with the stupid 4 doors plus the unwanted-by-me 8 speed Jesus Chrysler automatic trans) costs north of $57k. And now you know how much my Jeep is worth to me.

In capitalism supply and demand dictates the going cost. Buyer and seller get to impute value to the good or service. If the value the buyer imputes can’t be agreed upon with the seller then there is no sale. It’s as simple as that.

How much do you want to spend on your TJ? How much is it worth to you? These are the only meaningful questions.