Anybody else feel like these TJs cost way more than they're worth?

Want to keep costs down?

Find a solid one, only add the mods it takes to make it YOURS, stop adding mods because Joe Blow has them, and for Christ sake STOP asking for everyone’s help choosing YOUR mods. If you can’t make up your own f’kn mind what to do to YOUR TJ, you’re not mature enough to own one.

Want to keep costs down?

Find a solid one, only add the mods it takes to make it YOURS, stop adding mods because Joe Blow has them, and for Christ sake STOP asking for everyone’s help choosing YOUR mods. If you can’t make up your own f’kn mind what to do to YOUR TJ, you’re not mature enough to own one.

Hah, I see the same thing on the Ruger 10/22 forums/reddit groups.
Many people any more are just looking for form over function.

Mine was not high enough so I had to put another ton of $$$$$$$$$$$$$ to get the price up.

458A0B67-0A78-4C95-A690-E9FC0DD7F460.jpeg

Just made this post out of frustration. I'm about 22k into a 2002 tj X and it's looking like a transmission is now being needed.

At this point, 22k deep into the Jeep…a transmission is, although frustrating, worth it to be a huge step towards finishing your project.

I spent a lot of money and 8 1/2 years building my Jeep. Cussing and kicking every step of the way. I would do it again, without question. Every single time I drive it, I am reminded it was all worth it.

It's frustrating, but when you look at the big picture, it makes sense. When shopping 40 or 50 years ago for an open-aired 4x4, you could pick from Jeeps, Broncos, Blazers, Scouts, FJ-40's, and Samurai's. But due to rust, wrecks, and neglect, there are only a fraction of these "classics" still left driving today. And though its a hard concept for me to grasp, our TJ's are now old enough to belong in the "classic" category. Just like GNR and Motely Crue are now "classic rock".

I'm a former 1971 Bronco owner, and I can confidently say that TJ's are about the best value for the market category right now. Even if I sold my TJ, my boat, and empited my emergency savings account, I would still never be able to buy a Classic Bronco in today's market.

Reactions: nitrofalcon
It's frustrating, but when you look at the big picture, it makes sense. When shopping 40 or 50 years ago for an open-aired 4x4, you could pick from Jeeps, Broncos, Blazers, Scouts, FJ-40's, and Samurai's. But due to rust, wrecks, and neglect, there are only a fraction of these "classics" still left driving today. And though its a hard concept for me to grasp, our TJ's are now old enough to belong in the "classic" category. Just like GNR and Motely Crue are now "classic rock".

I'm a former 1971 Bronco owner, and I can confidently say that TJ's are about the best value for the market category right now. Even if I sold my TJ, my boat, and empited my emergency savings account, I would still never be able to buy a Classic Bronco in today's market.

Axl is into ducks so I guess he fits with the Jeep thing

1719505942098.png

TJ/LJ’s are the crazy hot girlfriend.

Love to go for a ride but ya have to deal with the problems and throw lots of money at it to keep it happy.

At this stage in my life I could buy new if I wanted( and I looked) but always enjoyed my TJ over the JKUR and YJ’s I’ve owned.

The key is to find one that is rust free and maintained (with records).

I looked literally 5years for a LJR and finally found one that was not beat to heck or rusted.

Expect to either work on the Jeep yourself or find an honest mechanic that is familiar with the 97-06 TJ’s as they are all vintage by now.

I paid $22.5K for my 05 LJR a little over 2 yrs ago and have no regrets. Sold the rack for $800 and have less than $300 in maintenance and upgrades. I don’t drink much, make my own coffee or waste my money on tv subscriptions. There’s noting better than hopping up to the local mountains for a few hours of relaxation and fun. Money well spent.

Can you break down how you spent 22k? Maybe more frustrated with repairs it sounds like?

I think there are a few issues unique to Jeeps (maybe pickup trucks too).

1. Jeep brand is known to have crap reliability to begin with

2. Jeeps that are used offroad are going to have boatloads more trouble than a car that is strictly on the pavement

3. A lot of DIY repair jobs from owners that sort of know what they are doing but miss important details

4. Aftermarket mods of questionable quality installed by the DIYers

Someone who buys a Jeep and only drives on the street, only does repairs and maintenance with OEM parts from a licensed mechanic, and has no mods...that would be quite a different experience

For reference, I purchased my TJ for $8900 then put about 15K +/- into it in mods and restoration.

Mods:
HP Dana 30 open
Yukon 3.73 gears
31 inch K02
OME 2933 front springs
Swayloc front anti-sway bar
Steering box skid plate
Rancho front shocks RS55239
ZJ Tie rods
EAG steel front bumper
Rugged Ridge Front differential skid
Smittybilt X20 COMP winch
Rough Country Motor mount lift
Steering lift
Performance Accessories body lift
YJ front brake lines
16 inch VANCO BBK
PRP front driver's seat
Full tummy tuck
Savy transfer case cable shifter
UCF oil pan and trans skid 3/8" Thick 6061-T6 aluminum
Nemesis aluminum Billy Rockers
Savy aluminum gas tank skid
Savy rear double adjustable control arms
JB Conversions SS SYE
Tom Woods DC driveshaft
Rear track bar relocation bracket
Rough Country Rear Coil Spring Correction Plates
Rear Black MAX Shock Absorber - B8518
Crawltek Pyro Mid-Width rear bumper
Dana 35 True Track w/ Revo 27 spline 1541H rear axle shafts

This list is only the final lists, not the mods that I replaced along the way.

Maint:
Everything under the jeep that was rubber was replaced.
Head gasket
Trans rebuild
Multiple attempts at fixing the entire cooling system.
Carpet
Heater core

Misc:
Hard top
2x soft tops
New wheels and tires
New tail gate with vent to match non-vented hard top
Double DIN radio
Lights
Hood vents

IT. ADDS. UP.