Anybody have any luck with naval jelly / phosphoric acid? Me: not so much.

Vtx531

TJ Addict
I used a needle scaler to clean up my abs tray / fender bracket. I spread on Locktite Naval Jelly. Let it sit 10 mins. Rinsed it off.

It looks like it worked well on some spots and didn’t do anything on other spots.

Am I doing something wrong? Maybe I need to wire wheel it too but I was trying to keep things quick and simple.

D7D1A87F-374D-4613-81FE-4381124BD810.jpeg

Repeated applications is key. Spread it on, let it sit and then agitate. Clean it off and then do it all over again. It’s just not strong enough to clean out that kind of rust in one or two tries, unfortunately…

Here it is after sitting a while longer. it is my understanding that you don’t want the white crystals to be showing?

Guess I need to give it a few more apps and maybe scrub it with a wire brush to agitate it?

I do have a compressor. Blast cabinet would be awesome. Or maybe a Rubbermaid tote full of acid lol.

B6D3CDD7-9050-4C2C-9F6C-3AAC02DF3D5D.jpeg

Here it is after sitting a while longer. it is my understanding that you don’t want the white crystals to be showing?

Guess I need to give it a few more apps and maybe scrub it with a wire brush to agitate it?

I do have a compressor. Blast cabinet would be awesome. Or maybe a Rubbermaid tote full of acid lol.

View attachment 281357
If you don’t get it cleaned to your liking I have one I am not using that I can send your way…

Reactions: Vtx531

View attachment 281357
I mounted my arb compressor on that,I cleaned it the best I could then encapsulated the hole thing with Por 15,then spayed my ps5 silver over it and clear,good enough

Reactions: Vtx531
naval jelly is low concentrate. there are better acids at the auto store and brush on gels can sit longer without drying out.

if you have the compressor HF has a 30$ bucket blaster.

I bought some stronger stuff.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Klean-Strip-Concrete-and-Metal-Prep-1-GAL/1001456348
The directions say to leave it on overnight. Not sure why the naval jelly says 5-10 mins being that it is weaker. I sprayed it on with a spray bottle and will leave it overnight, let’s see what happens.

Thanks for the offer for the replacement bracket.

I think it is too big to soak in Evaporust?

The phosphoric acid product I use is called Ospho. It's a green liquid and I got it in the paint department at a local Ace Hardware.

I've had the best luck with it when I brush it onto a surface getting it fully wet and then leave it overnight. You still have to knock off the big pieces though, I usually wire brush it first so by the time I hit it with the ospho it's just surface rust. It's not going to take care of loose, flaky rot.

You'd be done in five minutes with a grinder and a good braided wire wheel. Even a shitty wire wheel in a hand drill would knock this out fast. All those chemical deals are great when your really want to preserve the metal. This is a battery tray, wire wheel is the quick and simple.

Media blast (sand, glass bead, ect.), is best. But solvent application also works.

CLR-Rust Evaporator- Navel Jelly, oil, ect.

Be careful using an acidic base dissolver, as it can etch metal.

Naval jelly is just diluted phosphoric acid mixed with a carrier to hold it in place. Buy a gallon of phosphoric acid. It is cheaper but a little more dangerous due to splashing. Have some baking soda to neutralize it if you spill any.