Anybody install an aftermarket cruise control system on their TJ?

I installed the Rostra unit last year with rather less than "the usual" hassle. Bought mine from "The Cruise Control Store" - they included a 1 page "cheat sheet" for wire colors et al. However, one color therein listed was wrong, but the FSM got me straightened out. I too went through the problem with where to tap into the speed wire - I ended up tapping it right at the xfer case (for better or worse). I do have the clutch switch, although I drove it without for a bit and it was "ok", but I like having the switch. I even wired a PBNC in series with it as a "cancel" switch as the factory Rostra control handle doesn't have that feature and I use it quite a bit.

I installed the Rostra as I specifically did NOT want the factory cruise setup - I patently dislike cruise buttons on the steering wheel. The default control handle that "The Cruise Control Store" normally sends wasn't what I wanted either, but they gladly substituted the one that I *did* want:
2a3.jpg

The driver *can* see the fuel gage from the driving position with the wheel tilt mechanism set about 1/4" low.

2a6.jpg

Servo mechanism in a position similar to OEM. I've had Rostras in several vehicles over the years, and have always gotten good service from them.

If you want the long, drawn out, probably boring blow-by-blow of my installation: http://www.doubleveil.net/jeep/thirty.htm

Reactions: JMT
I started doing research on this too. I have a JK and use my cruise control ALL of the time on it. I'd love to have cruise control on my TJ. As many have said sourcing the parts is nearly impossible - I found most of them except the wiring harness. Since I have an '01, I am fairly certain I am not pre-wired. I took off airbag module and there are no wires running there. I see nothing under the master cylinder, either. From what I've read this is somewhat expected, I think only '03-'06 have it prewired by default. Sorry OP yours is not, that is frustrating.

I am looking at the Rostra now. Any gotchas I should be aware of? Is it possible to mount the control module inside the jeep somewhere to avoid the heat issues? On a scale from 1-10 how hard was the install? I have done some wiring, moderately mechanically and electrically inclined. Done headlight kits, trailer wiring, splicing, soldering etc and various other types of installs/repairs.
Factory c-c is pretty easy to install,getting the parts is the hard part.find a 2001 on back xj and get the steering wheel switches and clock spring.

This has to be the wiring on my 04? I have looked at this for months and finally am asking.

no buttons on the wheel but this would be a great late birthday present if true

22E5E646-0C72-4D4D-A69F-99D3271F2E08.jpeg

I want to add CC to my 05 TJ Automatic... Not sure what way to go. OEM or aftermarket.
As someone who has the Rostra aftermarket unit, which works great, OEM would be preferable - but as someone who just went through this, finding the OEM parts has become insanely difficult. I was able to locate some of them, but the harness is what I didn't have and could not locate anywhere. My Jeep doesn't have the harness from the factory. Your '05 may actually have it, in which case you'd be 80% of the way there. If you did have it, there would be an unused connector somewhere around your driver's side abs module.

If you don't have that harness, I'd recommend stopping there and just looking in to the Rostra, which is a totally respectable unit. If you do have it, there are some other parts you'll need. This post has some of that info:

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...ruise-control-in-your-jeep-wrangler-tj.14486/

This has to be the wiring on my 04? I have looked at this for months and finally am asking.

no buttons on the wheel but this would be a great late birthday present if true

View attachment 305141
My understanding is that you should have it on your '04, but from what I understand it would be an unused connector - not a used one. I don't have it, so I don't know exactly what it looks like. Should be around your abs module driver's side.

As someone who has the Rostra aftermarket unit, which works great, OEM would be preferable - but as someone who just went through this, finding the OEM parts has become insanely difficult. I was able to locate some of them, but the harness is what I didn't have and could not locate anywhere. My Jeep doesn't have the harness from the factory. Your '05 may actually have it, in which case you'd be 80% of the way there. If you did have it, there would be an unused connector somewhere around your driver's side abs module.

If you don't have that harness, I'd recommend stopping there and just looking in to the Rostra, which is a totally respectable unit. If you do have it, there are some other parts you'll need. This post has some of that info:

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...ruise-control-in-your-jeep-wrangler-tj.14486/
I don't have ABS in mine. What does the connector look like?

I don't have ABS in mine. What does the connector look like?
Sorry should’ve worded that differently. It would be near the empty ABS tray, in front of it, alongside the driver fender if you don't have ABS. It looks like one of those annoying red tab connectors. Again, I don’t have it so going off of what I’ve heard from other people. If you go to this YouTube video you can see the connector at 15:00 (however, on an XJ it’s on the passenger side).

I just got the Rostra cruise control unit. Going to start the install now. Any videos available incase I run into any issues?

No video - but here's my boring, blow-by-blow account:

http://www.doubleveil.net/jeep/thirty.htm
Pay particular attention to the clutch switch bracket - I show how I did it and then mention what shold be a MUCH better way to get it accomplished that doesn't involve drilling a hole entirely too close to the clutch master cylinder...

No video - but here's my boring, blow-by-blow account:

[URL][URL]http://www.doubleveil.net/jeep/thirty.htm[/URL][/URL]

Pay particular attention to the clutch switch bracket - I show how I did it and then mention what shold be a MUCH better way to get it accomplished that doesn't involve drilling a hole entirely too close to the clutch master cylinder...

Thanks! Where do all the wires connect? Do you show that anywhere?

I got it working. Only issues so far is trying to make the brake switch cancel the cruise. I found the positive wire but the other 4 or 5 I can not figure the ground. Also what settings should I have in those switches in the box

It should have came with instructions, and you can also find them on their website.
As far as sensitivity, on medium you will lose about 2-3 mph up the hill before Rostra catches on.

It should have came with instructions, and you can also find them on their website.
As far as sensitivity, on medium you will lose about 2-3 mph up the hill before Rostra catches on.

The instructions only tell you how to adjust them. Not the correct setting for my Jeep.

This are mine for the 6 cyl manual. Engine and transmission should be the only variance in settings, but double check my words as it has been a while since i installed mine.
Google their programming functions, if by evening you are still struggling i will be able to help you then.

PXL_20220818_214352401~2.jpg

Reactions: Zorba
This are mine for the 6 cyl manual. Engine and transmission should be the only variance in settings, but double check my words as it has been a while since i installed mine.
Google their programming functions, if by evening you are still struggling i will be able to help you then.

View attachment 352204

I used your settings and it works a lot better at keeping the set speed. It's not perfect but better. My brake doesn't cut it off tho. What wires are yours connected to? Thanks for all the help!!

I assume this are Rostra wires.

Brake:
Orange to White-Brown
Red to Grey-Red

* refer to factory manual for wiring, after some year later models received a bit different wiring colors.

PXL_20220818_231336220.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Rickwhoo and Zorba
Clutch disconnect will not work with factory wiring, mine is not functional and i don't remember why i spliced the wires. So if you are not using it, you should have blue and black wire not connected to anything... Unless black is ground, then you can do black to black on clutch switch.

PXL_20220818_231328421.jpg

Last edited: