Anybody up for a random meme dump?

1694716204006.png

I ride a bicycle a lot. I put on between 2000-4000 miles a year for a while. And the spandex share the road bike crowd is annoying as hell.

I'm a Fred.

https://bikeparts.fandom.com/wiki/Fred_(bicycling)
More like the old school guys.

smoking-cyclists-tour-.jpg

The roots of the term "Fred" are unclear, though some believe it originated from[2] a touring rider named Fred Birchmore from Athens, GA. In 1934-35, Birchmore rode around the world on a bicycle he named Bucephalus. Birchmore and Bucephalus traveled approximately 25,000 miles. Bucephalus is now on display at the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, D.C.[3][4][5][6] In one famous incident while touring in Italy, Birchmore passed a bunch of racers during a race he had crossed paths with by chance. And despite going up hill on his loaded 50 pound non-racing bike, he passed the finish line well ahead of the racers. The cheering crowd at the finish line assumed him to be the winner of the race. In addition to the Birchmore origin idea for "Fred," there also is a vague idea that there was an old grumpy touring rider named Fred (but probably not Birchmore) from which the term derived.[7]

Last edited: