Anyone added a coolant filter?

Jerry is right. At my local auto part store, they had Zerex G-05. It was $19.99 a gallon for full strength, and $17.99 a gallon for 50/50.

Lets fo the math. Im bored :)

19.99/2 = $9.99 for 1/2 gallon of pure antifreeze. (Nobody cares about the 1/2 cent.)

$17.99 - $9.99 = $8.00 for 1/2 gallon of water.

So that comes out to $16.00 a gallon for DISTILLED WATER!!!!!!!! You can buy the same water at any grocery store for less than a dollar.

When my head cracked it looked like I had melted Nestle Crunch bars in the coolant. I replaced the head and now my coolant is vivid green.

I do not think and I hope I do not have a cracked head.
No oil loss
No milky oil
No smell of oil in coolant
No bubbles in coolant (did take forever to get all the air out and during that time I did get very worried, but zero bubbles under any condition floating up in to the attached funnel system I linked above.

Just simply chocolate with a fine fine grit feel I believe to be rust.
I understood from various places some of the blocks were not "sealed or cured" well. My assumption is that that is the cause.

Now hoping that the Zerex will help.
Thought the filter may also collect it so I can periodically change and dispose of it.

If you price the coolant vs the filter the cost isn’t that much different plus if you get the clear housing on the filter, the condition of the coolant is clearly visible plus they also have a heater core filter

If you change your coolant regularly per the instructions on the particular coolant used you won't have to worry about it. There's a reason cars & Jeeps don't come with coolant filters.
Only due to bean counters AND accessories. The Ford 7.3 was designed with a coolant filter. FORD removed it due to accessories and belt routing. There was a freeze plug on original 7.3 water pumps just because of this delete.

Only reason i revived the thread is the fact that google led me hre in my search for a kit for the TJ just to copy someones mounting bracket. Yes, I run a coolant filter on all my vehicles now. The TJ is getting one and I will post pics in my only thread on here lol. Why does the TJ need one? The 800 dollar GRIFFIN I feel needs one. Other than that it`ll look real cool.

And if you think the manufactures have the BUYERS best interest at heart, your a walking moron.

The reason they started putting water filters in DIESEL engines was due to issues they were having with wet sleeves and cavitation. Cummins/Fleetguard at that time offered filters with DCA tabs inside to recharge the coolant with additives that prevented cavitation and would be depleted over time. They also came out with test kits to check additive levels. Mind you- they came out with this sometime around the late 70's or early 80's. Also just prior to the cavitation issue (and concurrent with) there was a period where silicate drop out from the standard antifreeze at that time when mixed with NON DISTILLED water would settle into and plug coolant passageways in DIESELS. This was a far greater issue (and as far as I know only in) diesels. This was a very long time ago and i am out of the loop now. At that time i personally observed wet sleeves that showed the cavitation lines and nearly perforated the sleeves. It also could take out the lower sleeve to block elastomer seal by eroding it. Diesels often have issues with fuels, lubes, and coolant that are unique to their application, stresses, care and environment---especially in some parts of the world where upkeep is poor. The cavitation of sleeve issue sometimes showed up while the engine was well within warranty. You can bet in that situation the manufacturer was not going to let that pass without action when warranty expense and reputation cost was greater than adding a filter housing and filter that cost them less than $15.

Water quality is very important in antifreeze as is the correct type- stick with distilled. Personally I cannot see the need for filters it in our little engines. Put in the recommended antifreeze and recognize that IF you mix in a universal antifreeze engine manufacturers will may back off from their antifreeze change intervals.

Last edited:
I have one on my Jeep, installed in-line with the heater hoses. I will say that it isn't necessary in most applications, but I bought my 1998 TJ in 2019 with 160k miles and what looked like the original coolant. I flushed the system probably 10 times, replaced the radiator, and flushed the block. It's mostly clean now, but I installed the filter just to make sure it stays that way. Is it overkill? Probably, but I'll take it considering how clean my radiator and coolant looks now.

The reason they started putting water filters in DIESEL engines was due to issues they were having with wet sleeves and cavitation. Cummins/Fleetguard at that time offered filters with DCA tabs inside to recharge the coolant with additives that prevented cavitation and would be depleted over time. They also came out with test kits to check additive levels. Mind you- they came out with this sometime around the late 70's or early 80's. Also just prior to the cavitation issue (and concurrent with) there was a period where silicate drop out from the standard antifreeze at that time when mixed with NON DISTILLED water would settle into and plug coolant passageways in DIESELS. This was a far greater issue (and as far as I know only in) diesels. This was a very long time ago and i am out of the loop now. At that time i personally observed wet sleeves that showed the cavitation lines and nearly perforated the sleeves. It also could take out the lower sleeve to block elastomer seal by eroding it. Diesels often have issues with fuels, lubes, and coolant that are unique to their application, stresses, care and environment---especially in some parts of the world where upkeep is poor. The cavitation of sleeve issue sometimes showed up while the engine was well within warranty. You can bet in that situation the manufacturer was not going to let that pass without action when warranty expense and reputation cost was greater than adding a filter housing and filter that cost them less than $15.

Water quality is very important in antifreeze as is the correct type- stick with distilled. Personally I cannot see the need for filters it in our little engines. Put in the recommended antifreeze and recognize that IF you mix in a universal antifreeze engine manufacturers will may back off from their antifreeze change intervals.
We not talking diesels bro. And the problem with sleeves was and is an air " bubble" attaching to the sleeve. This is wher oxidation can occure in an oxygen atmosphere. Pin hole can occure over time. Period. Well the same exact thing happens in a VERY porus block. Scaling, break down of coolant through a chemical process, shit flying through your system. Why do you need distilled water in your cooling system? Why? Distilled is "soft water". The chemicals in hard water actually sandblast everything in the system. Add unlike metals, like aluminu and iron, yeah those work great together, and now you've got electolasis. I like my thread as spelling is ok as long as your human. Anyway. the calcium off of aluminum in the process is the slug that people experience. Does an anode help? Yeah,,,,, a lil but its gonna corrode. Im sorry its the nature of the beast. So my advice is dont look cool and dont do a filter. That way you are with the majority. I love them. Hoses, cool anodized crap, Blower whine, shiny shit,,, Im good homie.

I have one on my Jeep, installed in-line with the heater hoses. I will say that it isn't necessary in most applications, but I bought my 1998 TJ in 2019 with 160k miles and what looked like the original coolant. I flushed the system probably 10 times, replaced the radiator, and flushed the block. It's mostly clean now, but I installed the filter just to make sure it stays that way. Is it overkill? Probably, but I'll take it considering how clean my radiator and coolant looks now.
I bought my 99 with zero miles. Now have a Griffin rad in it and I love cool shit. Enough said

HEY, the jack was a birthday present, okay?
I made a present of my Hi-Lift jack to my shed on its birthday 20 years ago, my shed still loves it. 😁

Edit: Before anyone offers to buy it from me I forgot I sold it a couple months ago. I'm not taking that heavy SOB to Florida with me.

I made a present of my Hi-Lift jack to my shed on its birthday 20 years ago, my shed still loves it. 😁

Edit: Before anyone offers to buy it from me I forgot I sold it a couple months ago. I'm not taking that heavy SOB to Florida with me.
Have no fear @Jerry Bransford I have one in my shop I will loan you!!!!!!!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I have actually used mine for farm jacky kind of stuff...pulling signposts, pushing the back of a car that got sideways on the trailer, that sort of thing. Never jacked the whole jeep with it yet, but I did use it as a 2nd set of hands when I was installing the front fenders.
Hell, it's nothing more than a big bumper jack, what's the big deal? 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: John Cooper
I have actually used mine for farm jacky kind of stuff...pulling signposts, pushing the back of a car that got sideways on the trailer, that sort of thing. Never jacked the whole jeep with it yet, but I did use it as a 2nd set of hands when I was installing the front fenders.
Hell, it's nothing more than a big bumper jack, what's the big deal? 🤣
It's fine for those purposes, just some think it's the go-to required jack for offroading and it's not. Some also think it's required once you get a suspension lift and big tires, it's not there needed there either. The factory jack is fine for 35's and even 37" in a pinch.

That's a complete waste of time and money, plain and simple.

Maintain your cooling system, NEVER use anything but distilled water (you shouldn't even need to use water, as coolant comes pre-mixed anyways), and take care of things. That's all there is to keeping a clean cooling system.
We arent all rich like you some of us buy un mixed because I dont like paying that much for water

Only due to bean counters AND accessories. The Ford 7.3 was designed with a coolant filter. FORD removed it due to accessories and belt routing. There was a freeze plug on original 7.3 water pumps just because of this delete.

Only reason i revived the thread is the fact that google led me hre in my search for a kit for the TJ just to copy someones mounting bracket. Yes, I run a coolant filter on all my vehicles now. The TJ is getting one and I will post pics in my only thread on here lol. Why does the TJ need one? The 800 dollar GRIFFIN I feel needs one. Other than that it`ll look real cool.

And if you think the manufactures have the BUYERS best interest at heart, your a walking moron.
You're*

We not talking diesels bro. And the problem with sleeves was and is an air " bubble" attaching to the sleeve. This is wher oxidation can occure in an oxygen atmosphere. Pin hole can occure over time. Period. Well the same exact thing happens in a VERY porus block. Scaling, break down of coolant through a chemical process, shit flying through your system. Why do you need distilled water in your cooling system? Why? Distilled is "soft water". The chemicals in hard water actually sandblast everything in the system. Add unlike metals, like aluminu and iron, yeah those work great together, and now you've got electolasis. I like my thread as spelling is ok as long as your human. Anyway. the calcium off of aluminum in the process is the slug that people experience. Does an anode help? Yeah,,,,, a lil but its gonna corrode. Im sorry its the nature of the beast. So my advice is dont look cool and dont do a filter. That way you are with the majority. I love them. Hoses, cool anodized crap, Blower whine, shiny shit,,, Im good homie.
"Tell me you don't know shit about chemistry, without telling me you don't know shit about chemistry"