Anyone ever tried one of these phone holders?

meangreen98

TJ Enthusiast
Reactions: Sancho and Airjunky
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
I’ve not used that one, but I bought a metal bracket that mounts in the same place. Can’t remember the brand though. I added a RAM mount x-grip to it. The x-grip worked great but the bracket moved and vibrated so much that I removed it.

I have one of these magnetic type. Not as secure as some that clamp down on the phone, but mine does not fall off even at speed on washboarded Forrest roads and it is very convenient to take the phone on and off.

20190416_223459.jpg

That universal drink cup holder might not be strong enough to hold a beer, I mean a phone, when bouncing around off road due to having only one mounting hole and about 3 inches of very thin metal between that hole and gripper.

I could be wrong, I don't have one.

To add...

I have bought the "L" brackets but have not started mine yet. The large holes on mine do not line up with the ones on the template. So, mine might take a bit more prototyping.

There was some concern about airbag deployment and the placement of this holder. I am not concerned. It seems that it is mostly out of the way and would be blown to the side. The one you show from eBay would be more of a concern to me though. Just sayin'...

I have a magnetic mount on the front of the Rugged Ridge dash tray and have bumped the phone off it more than a few times.

So I bought the one the OP linked that attaches behind the passenger oh shit handle. It does vibrate a bit, but the phone doesn't fall out of it. I give it one thumb up.

I have the Rugged Ridge and the extra storage is great. I have a larger Galaxy 8+ and have absolutely no problem with it blocking my visibility at all. And if you drill a small 1/4" hole (opposed to a large 1/4" hole) then you can flip the arm to point down. Completely below the top of the dash. And there is no vibration problem. Solid as can be.

A friend of mine bought a pro clip holder for his car.

https://www.proclipusa.com/vehicle/dashboard-mounts/9610-jeep-wrangler/1997
It is very secure and as it states, it clips on. You do have to buy the actual phone mount separate but it is specific to your phone. I am waiting because I still have a Galaxy S4 that I have had going on 4 years now. Its at the end of its life but I hate the thought of paying 1000 dollars for a new phone that may be out dated by the time I learn to use all its features.

Built my own magnetic mount out of a chunk of aluminum and some spare tripod parts. Mounted in the dash tray, I have never had the phone come loose while driving on some pretty serious trails. The metal plate on the back of my phone case covers nearly the whole case, so if I am driving on a particularly rough stretch of trail I slide the phone down to where it rests on the dash for more support. Works fine. Solid enough that I have recorded trail video with it, although it really sits too low for good video - too much hood and windshield wiper in the shot.

264.jpg

267.jpg

Reactions: taylormade73
I've been using this one:

1568827457481.png

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/iottie...hield-car-mount-black/6031806.p?skuId=6031806
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0754NDNT8/?tag=wranglerorg-20

It's definitely not perfect for when I'm going offroad, but I've been considering giving a more permanent attachment to address that. Outside of that, it's incredibly convenient for day-to-day use. When you drop the phone in, the button it hits clips it into place and when you go to pull it out, you squeeze the two black pieces on the side and it drops into your hand. The wireless charging is also a plus since that's less cords to deal with.

Apparently they're going to be coming out with a fancier version that has motorized arms, but it looks slower to use and is, in my opinion at least, way over-engineering when the current version works just as it needs to.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...iottie-motorized-car-phone-mount-robotic-arms