Anyone fly Old Glory on Memorial Day?

KCsTJ

TJ student
Supporting Member
I dressed out the white TJ..
20190526_135022.jpg

Yep, went to the local parade as usual too. Great looking TJ with the Stars and Stripes. I am curious about the Israeli flag as well.

Reactions: KCsTJ
A few years ago our town put in street lights down the 2 mile stretch of main road with flag mounts, and fly Old Glory on any type of American holiday 🙂 I was out wheeling yesterday and found tons of camp sights with a flag fluttering in the wind.

I'm sure this is going to stir things up, but after watching a pickup truck going down I-94 at ~80+ MPH, weaving in and out of traffic, with a tattered American Flag in the bed of the truck, I feel compelled to respond.

I am a US Army veteran. I come from a long line of military family members. I have relatives killed in action whom I honored this past Memorial Day. My opinion is that it is disrespectful to fly the American flag on a non-military vehicle. That said, the United States Flag Code does not expressly prohibit it. The code does state however, how the flag should be displayed if you choose to do so:

§ 7. Position and manner of display
The flag, when carried in a procession with another flag or flags, should be either on the marching right; that is, the flag's own right, or, if there is a line of other flags, in front of the center of that line.
(b) The flag should not be draped over the hood, top, sides, or back of a vehicle or of a railroad train or a boat. When the flag is displayed on a motorcar, the staff shall be fixed firmly to the chassis or clamped to the right fender.
...​

And if you do display a flag on your vehicle, you should remove it at night (unless properly illuminated) and remove it during rain or high winds (by my reckoning, highway speed is high wind) unless it is an all weather flag:

§6. Time and occasions for display
(a) It is the universal custom to display the flag only from sunrise to sunset on buildings and on stationary flagstaffs in the open. However, when a patriotic effect is desired, the flag may be displayed 24 hours a day if properly illuminated during the hours of darkness.
…​
(c) The flag should not be displayed on days when the weather is inclement, except when an all weather flag is displayed.
And once you've driven it at highway speeds for a few days, and the flag you purport to honor starts to become tattered, do the right thing and properly destroy the flag. This, too, is covered in the United States Flag Code, Section 8:

§ 8. Respect for flag
No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.
(d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free.
(e) The flag should never be fastened, displayed, used, or stored in such a manner as to permit it to be easily torn, soiled, or damaged in any way.
(k) The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning. (Disposal of Unserviceable Flags Ceremony)

I'm sure there are those who disagree.

~John

Reactions: RussTJ and KCsTJ
I fly the flag every day. And I'd rather fly it where it's apt to get damaged by the wind than not... like on my TJ. If it gets damaged it gets replaced. Just like on Navy ships where they get beat to shreds in storms. They don't stow the flags when it's too windy. I'm a Vietnam veteran by the way.

Reactions: RussTJ and KCsTJ
Jerry, thank you for your service to our country.

I agree. When an American flag is displayed on a vehicle, and it becomes damaged, it should be replaced and the damaged flag properly destroyed. I am confident that you know this yourself.

For anyone that does not know, the local American Legion or VFW will properly and honorably destroy a damaged or desecrated American flag by burning for anyone for free.

~John

For anyone that does not know, the local American Legion or VFW will properly and honorably destroy a damaged or desecrated American flag by burning for anyone for free.

~John
Many Boy Scout troops will do that as well. My troop used to do it a couple times a year to 1) properly dispose of them and 2) to teach the young Boy Scouts the right way to do it while showing proper respect to the flag.

Flag is flying high on the property every day, and my vehicles get a flag decal on them (despite them not being military vehicles).

Reactions: Viking Jeeper
Before a recent camping trip I advised all attendees to bring any unserviceable flags. We burned then respectfully in the camp fire. Most were surprised that it was appropriate and had been holding on to old flags not knowing what to do with them.

Reactions: KCsTJ
99% of the people out there have no idea about the flag code. Coming from a long line of veterans and myself as a veteran of the United States Navy, I am still proud when I see the flag being flown even if it is not inline with the flag code. I wear the flag daily on my uniform and fly the thin blue line flag on my jeep.

Never been one to fly a flag on any vehicle of mine.. decals yes, house definitely (esp since I probably have every ethnicity on my street you could imagine.. but most work for NASA ;))

Israeli flag too? What are they celebrating? And yes, I have a flag out from now till snow starts to fly.🇺🇸
I salute not only the US fallen soldiers but also the Israeli fallen.
Israel is our closest friend and ally so I believe they deserve a salute as well.

And no I'm not jewish, well as far as i know..
Plus it's a cool lookin flag, it matches our red white and blue just fine. 😊

Last edited: