Anyone have any reviews or opinions on Carbon or Currie axles?

Dana 60's seemed so out of reach to me for some reason (to build myself).
the JK Rubi rear was just add brakes and brackets. the front was a little more involved to get running, but it's cost me less than 1/2 what a purchased front axle would have to get to this point. granted it's not all top end pieces parts.
but it is a stronger axle than the Dana 30 that was there b4. (- those ball joints) i have Spicers, they were the most recommended if you didn't wanna second mortgage to get up that ladder.

Reactions: reddvltj
Dana 60's seemed so out of reach to me for some reason (to build myself).
the JK Rubi rear was just add brakes and brackets. the front was a little more involved to get running, but it's cost me less than 1/2 what a purchased front axle would have to get to this point. granted it's not all top end pieces parts.
but it is a stronger axle than the Dana 30 that was there b4. (- those ball joints) i have Spicers, they were the most recommended if you didn't wanna second mortgage to get up that ladder.
I rarely care about the price of admission. I care a whole bunch about the cost at the end of a 100 difficult trails. For us, a Currie HP Rock Jock 60 front is hands down more cost effective than any JK front out there.

Reactions: B00mb00m
What about Currie 60 vs Dyntrac 60? Is this more of a brand preference than a pro and con comparison?

What about Currie 60 vs Dyntrac 60? Is this more of a brand preference than a pro and con comparison?
I haven't heard anything bad about either. I think they're both about $8500. Dynatrac has a Dana 60 package for $13k with jk brackets.

fusion 4x4 elite 60 with super duty C's Gets you housing, chromoly shafts, gears and locker for like $4500. Then you source 05+ outers, hubs, bearings and brakes which are widely available for cheap on used market. Might want to go a flattop Reid knuckle for pass side high steer. Add your own brackets. Might be a bit cheaper but it all adds to getting nearer to 10k than not.

Straight Super doodie swaps are lower cost alternatives also.

Reactions: Wildman
Plus the difficulty of getting an axle fixtured up on a mill bed. I'd also guess the inner C wouldn't be big enough to hold the hole that the Dana 60 Balljoint required.

We already know that the yokes can stretch with 37s, allowing the stock ball joints to fall out. Making them thinner to fit a bigger ball joint isn't going to make them stronger.

i kinda tried to see how difficult it'd be to put Dana 60 C's and knuckles onto my JK Dana 44 rubi front axle.

the issue becomes the axle shafts. there is no 1 ton inner shaft that is a 30 spline. and no 1 ton stub shaft to mate with any inner shaft we use, that i have found.
i could just buy custom shafts necked down to match the 30 spline diff.
or there are diff upgrades to accommodate 35 spline axle shafts. (+/-1K to change the locker).

35 spline matches a common Dana 60 axle shaft spline count. so is 35 splines 35 splines, are these =?
if so, custom length 60 shafts can now fit an upgraded JK rubi Dana 44 front diff, and the 60 C's can be used w/ 60 knuckles.

and another question was, is a 30 spline diameter enough for a wheel size upgrade (37)?
custom necked shafts would be less the cost of the locker upgrade. but can they even be bought/made? by who?
either way the shafts would be custom.

TBH at that point i kinda quit diggin, i was slightly less than confident i could piece it all together. i was not in this forum then and i figured if it was easy, there'd be a kit, right?
and the cost to pull this off was not chump change.

i kinda tried to see how difficult it'd be to put Dana 60 C's and knuckles onto my JK Dana 44 rubi front axle.

the issue becomes the axle shafts. there is no 1 ton inner shaft that is a 30 spline. and no 1 ton stub shaft to mate with any inner shaft we use, that i have found.
i could just buy custom shafts necked down to match the 30 spline diff.
or there are diff upgrades to accommodate 35 spline axle shafts. (+/-1K to change the locker).

35 spline matches a common Dana 60 axle shaft spline count. so is 35 splines 35 splines, are these =?
if so, custom length 60 shafts can now fit an upgraded JK rubi Dana 44 front diff, and the 60 C's can be used w/ 60 knuckles.

and another question was, is a 30 spline diameter enough for a wheel size upgrade (37)?
custom necked shafts would be less the cost of the locker upgrade. but can they even be bought/made? by who?
either way the shafts would be custom.

TBH at that point i kinda quit diggin, i was slightly less than confident i could piece it all together. i was not in this forum then and i figured if it was easy, there'd be a kit, right?
and the cost to pull this off was not chump change.

Many Dana 60's have stock 30 spline shafts or at least that was what I was told and thought I remembered reading it some where.

ARB makes a 35 spline locker for a standard Dana 44 but I am not sure about the Rubicon housings. I'd looked into this when I was building my Dana 44 and almost pulled the trigger on it. Kick myself now for not doing it to be honest.
Building a Hybrid Dana 44/60 has been done before and yes you'd have get custom shafts made and that was one of the reasons I didn't do it at the time. But now I regret not doing it.

Dana 60 Bible most stock axles are a 30 spline according to the bible. Most upgrade to a 35 spline for the added strength.

Reactions: someguysjeep
Many Dana 60's have stock 30 spline shafts or at least that was what I was told and thought I remembered reading it some where.

ARB makes a 35 spline locker for a standard Dana 44 but I am not sure about the Rubicon housings. I'd looked into this when I was building my Dana 44 and almost pulled the trigger on it. Kick myself now for not doing it to be honest.
Building a Hybrid Dana 44/60 has been done before and yes you'd have get custom shafts made and that was one of the reasons I didn't do it at the time. But now I regret not doing it.

Dana 60 Bible most stock axles are a 30 spline according to the bible. Most upgrade to a 35 spline for the added strength.
I thought about it as well a d actually the Jk44 tube size makes it kind of easy sounding. The same way a lot of folks are turning the Cs on the jk44 you use an outer sleeve of 3"od then get an after market C with 3" id clock and weld. Bob's your uncle. I'm saying all this obviously having never done it but doesn't seem like rocket surgery.

maybe i missed the 30 splines, it was awhile ago. and 35 spline seems more prevalent in the market.
i'm reluctant to invest in anything like Reids to get my tie rod up..........that 600$ does nothing for the real weak issue. then i'm not to rushed to sink another 1800 into HA to tug on those weak points even more efficiently and with more power.

it's got me guessing once again if it's worth the effort for a next winter project.

Last edited:
99-04 F450 balljoints are pressed into the outer-C (aka knuckle) and tightened to the inner-C. Opposite of the TJ.

So you'd actually have to add material to the inner-C. But yeah, there's other reasons why they won't fit.

Back when I was looking at doing this Reid offered the inner "C" in 2.75" axle tube so for my axle it would have been an easy swap since I already had the C off to narrow the axle.

I did get a quote from DynaTrac for a HP44 housing with 3" tubes for about $2K with no ends on the tubes. So if I wanted I could build a hybrid 44/60. If I was to do this I would use a Jantz 54 kit to allow the use of D50 ring & pinion and a 35 spline ARB.